Help with a buy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 03:23 AM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Help with a buy!!!

Hi guys, new here
Was just wondering if you guys have any advice on this SC I'm checking out tomorrow.
It's a 92 SC300 for $14k
52k mi on Chassis
30k mi on a 95 JDM twin turbo supra, 5sp original Lexus tran
ssr velbret rims 19 x 9 front 19 x 10 rear
autronic after market computer (car is tuned at 360HP AT THE WHEELS)
full bomex body kit
tein suspension
dual greddy exhaust
greddy front mount intercooler
I was told interior is 8/10
Cons are:
2in rust on the roof & No pics provided
I used to have a 94 SC300 stock with the plan of doing a swap but had to let it go for some reason.
Now I think my chance has come. Please point me to what needs to be checked and price wise.
I thank you for any advise in advance
Old 04-14-12, 03:51 AM
claytons91
Driver School Candidate

14k good god.

Miles are low.

But I would probably pay 10k MAYBE 11k At the most.

Need pics of the car.
Old 04-14-12, 07:25 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I wouldn't buy it if there is rust on the roof.
Old 04-14-12, 07:27 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

HELL no. You don't buy boosted cars, you build them. If you're gonna spend 14k on an old car with a snail you have too much money.
Old 04-14-12, 07:51 AM
sc4hunnit
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt pay for anything with rust on it...
Old 04-14-12, 08:06 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Let the dream go, and put that money toward a newer/used vechile that is more reliable.
Old 04-14-12, 10:09 AM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys! Thanks for the response
I was afraid you guys will say that..
The seller told me the roof is not rusted thru.
I really love my old SC300 as I remembered it and I will most likely have this for awhile if I get it.
The aftermarket and swap he has on I don't know much about and I believe might be his points for selling high ~.~'
Say if I were to Jo ahead and get it, what's a fair price?
I will see him today and take some pics!
I know aftermarket boosted cars is a no-no to buy. But don't that belong to the civic crowd and the likes? No to hate on civic owners.. I thought this this snail is alright since it's oem boosted engine that's meant for the it.
Old 04-14-12, 10:26 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Seems like too much money, unless it has enough parts that you could easily part out and break even, but that does not seem like the case. Also avoid a car with roof rust like the plague. I bought a SC with just a bit of roof rust, thought it was going to be an easy sand down, repair and repaint. Well I took out the front windshield, started grinding out the rust and guess what.. Even more rust! Now I get to drill out all the spot welds and put a new roof on..yay!

I swear I saw a clean Swapped 5-speed SC in the cars for sale section for like 6 or 7K just a day ago.

Also for 14K you could pick up a rust free SC, buy a swap with a 6-speed and LSD rear diff and pay to have someone swap it in, and would would still prob have money left over for suspension bits, wheels, and other goodies.

Good luck and keep us updated! Pics would be awesome too
Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-14-12, 10:41 AM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scoobySC3
Seems like too much money, unless it has enough parts that you could easily part out and break even, but that does not seem like the case. Also avoid a car with roof rust like the plague. I bought a SC with just a bit of roof rust, thought it was going to be an easy sand down, repair and repaint. Well I took out the front windshield, started grinding out the rust and guess what.. Even more rust! Now I get to drill out all the spot welds and put a new roof on..yay!

I swear I saw a clean Swapped 5-speed SC in the cars for sale section for like 6 or 7K just a day ago.

Also for 14K you could pick up a rust free SC, buy a swap with a 6-speed and LSD rear diff and pay to have someone swap it in, and would would still prob have money left over for suspension bits, wheels, and other goodies.

Good luck and keep us updated! Pics would be awesome too
Thanks,
Rick
Thanks for the quick response!
I am really concern about the 2in roof.
So you're saying the mods he has on now is not worth much if part out?
If $14k is too high, how low should I counter?
I will definitely get pics later on today.
Thanks again scoopySC3
Old 04-14-12, 01:24 PM
scoobySC3
Driver

Yeah pics would be super helpful. And in regards to the tan interior, that can easily be fixed with some SEM paint, and carpets can be dyed with RIT dye.

Check out this thread for pics on how easily the interior can be restored and on the cheap. Just need some time, and elbow grease

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-of-pics.html

Let us know if you have any questions. And when looking at any car it is always best to be patient and wait for the right one to come across. I only slightly regret my buy, but I knew I wanted a factory 5-speed, OBD-1(pre 1996), and a straight chassis. I got all of it, but the rust was worse than expected, as it usually is. However my SC is not my daily driver, so I can take all the time in the world to do it right the first time so the rust will not come back. Another option I have is to buy another local SC chassis that is not running, and just swap everything over and sell the rest, but I am really looking forward to the body work and love a challenge.

Good luck with the buy and keep us updated!
Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-14-12, 08:57 PM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys.
Sry no pics today. Word from seller is its at the shop replacing the alternator and some other stuff I didn't quite hear. So Monday I might be able to look and get pics.
Be back here Monday
Thanks!
Old 04-14-12, 09:18 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man.... I say 10k sounds good. But it has to be perfect man. Just think about it like this. You wave money like that in someones face, they want it, try 8-9k..... use the rest to take your girl out in it. She will probaly give you a oil change.
Old 04-14-12, 10:15 PM
2slow2care
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude that's crazy talk 14k can get you a lot of parts if sourced right. If you have ants in your pants and want something your going to buy it no matter what we say.I would never buy a 93 SC and boosted with minor bolt ons for 14k. Unless it was so factory fresh I could eat off of it.
Old 04-15-12, 12:31 PM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
Man.... I say 10k sounds good. But it has to be perfect man. Just think about it like this. You wave money like that in someones face, they want it, try 8-9k..... use the rest to take your girl out in it. She will probaly give you a oil change.
Ya I was thinking about starting my offer at $8,500 but I think the seller would be offended lol..
So maybe start at $9,700? And max offer at $11k like one of the member suggested..
Anything more I'll just wait..
I'm looking at a 240sx kouki, looks tempting but man my heart is with the SC ~.~'
Old 04-15-12, 12:38 PM
DFC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2slow2care
Dude that's crazy talk 14k can get you a lot of parts if sourced right. If you have ants in your pants and want something your going to buy it no matter what we say.I would never buy a 93 SC and boosted with minor bolt ons for 14k. Unless it was so factory fresh I could eat off of it.
Lol "factory fresh I could eat off of it"
I like it that it already has some Greddy add-ons & SSR Velbrits, but not worth paying $14k
Can't wait for tomorrow...

Quick Reply: Help with a buy!!!