SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SMH 1 W58 Distroyed!! That didnt take long...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 04:19 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SMH 1 W58 Distroyed!! That didnt take long...

Well guys,

Id like to start this post by saying I love the W58, they handle decent power,they shift smooth as butter (if healthy)....But if you plan on making 450+whp its just not the right tranny fella's!!

Ive been on twins for a while with the W58 with a few different clutches in it and I must say its holds up quite fine when on twins, but once you convert to a single turbo setup and you are actually making power do yourself a favor & start saving for a R154!

Ive been singled for maybe a month or two tops, got it dyno'd it makes well ova 450whp now and i even dial'd the boost down to not break my W58 but oh boy how i was soooo in for it!!

Anyway Along with my story, its 8/14/2011 Tuesday morning, Im on my way to class, just like any other day. The SC drove great no issues what so ever, several hours later im leaving class, car is still doing great, I get to about 2 blocks from my house, Im sitting at the light while im listening to my Wiz Khalifa, & all of a sudden I hear this tapping noise, I get the car home, take the shifter off because I thought maybe it was a loose bolt in the shifter, everything is tight & normal, so I make a few phone calls & exact words from a friend of mine that i called was "Bro that sound is the Begining of the end" LoL

So i take his advice n jus take it for what it is, the W58 is about to go, but yess went alot faster then expected...

Next Day 8/15/2011 Wednesday, Again I get up, get ready for class, start the car, back it out the driveway, start driving to school, I finally get about 4-6 mins away and I hear a Loud BOOMMMM!!! clac clac clac!!!!

1 W58 Destroyed!!!! LoL R154 Swap Coming Soon

Last edited by 94_soarer; 08-17-11 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 04:31 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

if you dont mind me asking, how much wtq were you running?
Old 08-17-11, 04:34 PM
Skew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94_soarer
Well guys,

Id like to start this post by saying I love the W58, they handle decent power,they shift smooth as butter (if healthy)....But if you plan on making 450+whp its just not the right tranny fella's!!

Ive been on twins for a while with the W58 with a few different clutches in it and I must say its holds up quite fine when on twins, but once you convert to a single turbo setup and you are actually making power do yourself a favor & start saving for a R154!

Ive been singled for maybe a month or two tops, got it dyno'd it makes well ova 450whp now and i even dial'd the boost down to not break my W58 but oh boy how i was soooo in for it!!

Anyway Along with my story, its 8/14/2011 Tuesday morning, Im on my way to class, just like any other day. The SC drove great no issues what so ever, several hours later im leaving class, car is still doing great, I get to about 2 blocks from my house, Im sitting at the light while im listening to my Wiz Khalifa, & all of a sudden I hear this tapping noise, I get the car home, take the shifter off because I thought maybe it was a loose bolt in the shifter, everything is tight & normal, so I make a few phone calls & exact words from a friend of mine that i called was "Bro that sound is the Begining of the end" LoL

So i take his advice n jus take it for what it is, the W58 is about to go, but yess went alot faster then expected...

Next Day 8/15/2011 Wednesday, Again I get up, get ready for class, start the car, back it out the driveway, start driving to school, I finally get about 4-6 mins away and I hear a Loud BOOMMMM!!! clac clac clac!!!!

1 W58 Destroyed!!!! LoL R154 Swap Coming Soon
Damn im sorry to hear that. Ive been reading mixed reviews about the W58 and the horsepower span of stories of over 450hp but under 600hp and some people are still on their first W58 including me. Doesn't the R154 have an issue with its thrush washer? or 1st or 2nd gear grinds and random pop outs?
Old 08-17-11, 04:34 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vince9164
if you dont mind me asking, how much wtq were you running?
About 400, maybe alil over that

Originally Posted by Skew
Damn im sorry to hear that. Ive been reading mixed reviews about the W58 and the horsepower span of stories of over 450hp but under 600hp and some people are still on their first W58 including me. Doesn't the R154 have an issue with its thrush washer? or 1st or 2nd gear grinds and random pop outs?
Well like i said drom the get go, I love the W58, its a great tranny, & i must say mine took a beating, not so much when i was singled & making good power but when i was on twins, I did many pulls on the Highway, took it to the track and launched it pretty hard with drag radials, etc...Its about how you drive it, if your good to it, it will be good to you, Then again I mod my car not only for a Hobby but to have fun with it....

But Some R154's are not in the best of conditions either & im sure there have been issues with them, but IMO i believe the R154 is the Better & stronger Transmission..

Last edited by 94_soarer; 08-17-11 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 05:05 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From researchon the r154. Thrust wasted is a major issue. Next issue is the shift fork.
But do like what I'm going to do, buy all the upgraded parts and a new deal kit, and have it rebuilt since it will be out of the vehicle and you really can't trust any used manual transmissions. Slap it in and you'll have an upgraded upgraded tranny, to ensure that the power put down will still keep your vehicle reliable and to handle any extra power.

Goodluck
Charley
Old 08-17-11, 05:10 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

I heard the rear seal was a big issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6082244-post59.html
Old 08-17-11, 05:17 PM
N00bie909
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite part of the story was when you said listening to wiz khalifa haha. As for the tranny I'm sorry make sure your r154 gets checked out or rebuilt better safe than sorry.
Old 08-17-11, 05:27 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by charley240
From researchon the r154. Thrust wasted is a major issue. Next issue is the shift fork.
But do like what I'm going to do, buy all the upgraded parts and a new deal kit, and have it rebuilt since it will be out of the vehicle and you really can't trust any used manual transmissions. Slap it in and you'll have an upgraded upgraded tranny, to ensure that the power put down will still keep your vehicle reliable and to handle any extra power.

Goodluck
Charley
Yessir, i will make sure i will buy the good stuff for this R154, for the time being since my car is my Daily ima put another W58 in it jus to drive it around, and Save for my R154
Originally Posted by account2x
I heard the rear seal was a big issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6082244-post59.html
Thanks for the heads up.
Originally Posted by N00bie909
My favorite part of the story was when you said listening to wiz khalifa haha. As for the tranny I'm sorry make sure your R154 gets checked out or rebuilt better safe than sorry.
Its all good, Its a Love, Hate thing right now, im Happy cuz I kno my car is making power, But upset cuz I Broke my tranny...But at the same time its part of the game....

Whats so funny, Wiz Khalifa is that dude!!!!!
Old 08-17-11, 05:50 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The worst part is that didn't you sell a true Soarer R154 way back when you swapped your car? Sorry to hear about your luck man, but I know you'll get an R154 in there in no time.
Old 08-17-11, 06:15 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stockhatch
The worst part is that didn't you sell a true Soarer R154 way back when you swapped your car? Sorry to hear about your luck man, but I know you'll get an R154 in there in no time.
Yea, I did...worse thing I did eva, but yes ima put another W58 for the time being to get my car baxk on the road but R154 coming soon
Old 08-17-11, 06:33 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

ouch
Old 08-17-11, 06:44 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you need a little less hp for a daily driver my friend

Good luck with everything. My advice, get another crappy car to get back and forth to school.
Old 08-17-11, 07:44 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are the r154s expensive? i only ask cause i dont really know. my soarer swap came with one.
Old 08-17-11, 07:56 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DoomLight
are the r154s expensive? i only ask cause i dont really know. my soarer swap came with one.
The transmission itself is worth x2-x3 a W58.
Locating a 1JZ/2JZ R154 is the issue because they only came on vehicles In Japan.

94_soarer my advice is if you can't find a 1jz r154 to be import a second engine. A chaser transmission would work fine. You could resell the 1JZ/W58 set for half to two thirds of what you paid. I'd be more cost efficient in my opinion than sourcing a mark III supra r154, buying the 1jz bell housing, 1jz flywheel, shifter extension. I hear the shift feel with those newer transmissions is superior.
Old 08-17-11, 08:08 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah what he said. buy another engine swap. i just looked on ebay. those guys rape people on there.

buy a 5speed manual 1jz swap.

and sell the motor. the motors are usually worth about 1000 with wiring and ecu anyway.

its a pain in the *** to use a supra 1jz swap tho. u have to swap out speed sensors and the shifter sits higher. u dont want that.

be patient and only get a soarer or chaser r154 if u can hold out.

one rassss clattt guy on ebay wanted 2200 for a R154. i was like "does that come with an engine too?"

smh

Last edited by DoomLight; 08-17-11 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: SMH 1 W58 Distroyed!! That didnt take long...