SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SMH 1 W58 Distroyed!! That didnt take long...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 08:45 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I think you need a little less hp for a daily driver my friend
Good luck with everything. My advice, get another crappy car to get back and forth to school.
LoL I guess, its cool to have a 3800lbs Daily Driver thats 17 years old Beat Z06's tho

Originally Posted by account2x
The transmission itself is worth x2-x3 a W58.
Locating a 1JZ/2JZ R154 is the issue because they only came on vehicles In Japan.

94_soarer my advice is if you can't find a 1jz r154 to be import a second engine. A chaser transmission would work fine. You could resell the 1JZ/W58 set for half to two thirds of what you paid. I'd be more cost efficient in my opinion than sourcing a mark III supra r154, buying the 1jz bell housing, 1jz flywheel, shifter extension. I hear the shift feel with those newer transmissions is superior.

Yea, im trying to workout something with a friend, he needs a motor I need a R154, we will go half n half

Originally Posted by DoomLight
yeah what he said. buy another engine swap. i just looked on ebay. those guys rape people on there.

buy a 5speed manual 1jz swap.

and sell the motor. the motors are usually worth about 1000 with wiring and ecu anyway.

its a pain in the *** to use a supra 1jz swap tho. u have to swap out speed sensors and the shifter sits higher. u dont want that.

be patient and only get a soarer or chaser r154 if u can hold out.

one rassss clattt guy on ebay wanted 2200 for a R154. i was like "does that come with an engine too?"

smh
Yea, i kno exactly who you are talking about...was the importer in south florida?? n happened to go by the name of Prolink Japan?? LoL

Last edited by 94_soarer; 08-17-11 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 09:54 PM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

94 soarer my autos on its way out...i might need to hit u up for the w58... im in orlando
Old 08-18-11, 04:32 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scviolence
94 soarer my autos on its way out...i might need to hit u up for the w58... im in orlando
U want a broken W58???
Old 08-18-11, 06:11 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah ProLink open your wallet! lol probably cheaper to get a new trans from the dearler. and im not kidding.

I know a new E153 trans from toyota for a MR2 Turbo with LSD is 2200-2700.

i got my swap from JdmTechOrlando. they might have some 1jz swaps available.
www.jdmtechmotors.com (4077748324), don't go to JDM Orlando, they aren't the same company, but they rip u off especially when u try to get a refund. half the time their motors are not good.

like when u are looking for a 1jz and they have that siezed turbo issue. well all of theirs had locked up twin CT12's when i was up there this past March. dont go there!

i hope i helped u a little.
Old 08-18-11, 10:23 AM
lex92sc300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont waste your time with the r tranny save and get you a ls rear end with proper gear and the six speed tranny you will beable push lot more power threw this combo with out the r tranny headaches by time u rebuild and beef up the r you are close in money to the getrag any ways do it right once be done with it
Old 08-18-11, 11:04 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

r154 is very good, i love mine its strong as ****, i like it more than 6spd....story of my tranny problems are way worse.. LOL
first i had the twins and the w58.. i blew the w58 from a roll on the twins at 13psi.. then i got r154 with oem style clutch/stage1.. i broke flywheel bolts, then i got arp bolts, and did single turbo, then i broke the pressure plate, then i got arp stage 4 clutch kit and i tore the straps on that! sooo now the act got repaired and is now quad strapped...

if you have extra money you can send the r154 to martin crawler and they can make it race spec with billet parts and it will hold 1200hp.. they also sell thrust washers redesigned and billet shift fork.. iv launched mine at 5k full boost no problems and i dont have any billet parts or anything just r154.. lmk if u need help with your conversion..
Old 08-18-11, 11:38 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

crap... so if i push my 1jz to the 500hp range. im gonna have issues with flywheel bolts and shift forks?

ugh... this is almost scaring me back into just sticking with MR2's

MR2 E153 trannies never have these issues and u can pump like 800hp into them.
Old 08-18-11, 11:48 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lex92sc300
Dont waste your time with the r tranny save and get you a ls rear end with proper gear and the six speed tranny you will beable push lot more power threw this combo with out the r tranny headaches by time u rebuild and beef up the r you are close in money to the getrag any ways do it right once be done with it

Although the v160 is a beast, it does have issues.. Have you seen the FS threads where ppl are selling them with not being able to run in 6th gear or 3rd gear pops out or, this gear grinds on high revs??

regardless of the trans, you will can have an issue...
Old 08-18-11, 01:11 PM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

damn that didnt last long at all
Old 08-18-11, 01:41 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
Although the v160 is a beast, it does have issues.. Have you seen the FS threads where ppl are selling them with not being able to run in 6th gear or 3rd gear pops out or, this gear grinds on high revs??

regardless of the trans, you will can have an issue...
there is actually a v160 for sale right now with a broken 6th gear.. its better than r154 sure in some cases but price wise.. IT HURTS pretty bad! if you got an unlimited budget then go sequential hks or osgiken tranny.. mine never pops out of gear no issues im close to 500hp.. im planning on mid 700's in future.. r154 is good unless u go 800 or more or if u plan on raping it to hell!
Old 08-18-11, 01:44 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

crap... so if i push my 1jz to the 500hp range. im gonna have issues with flywheel bolts and shift forks?

ugh... this is almost scaring me back into just sticking with MR2's

MR2 E153 trannies never have these issues and u can pump like 800hp into them.
that range is perfectly okay.. no issues.. arp bolts are cheap.. and with a beefy clutch kit always rev match the shifts.. DONT REUSE STOCK FLYWHEEL BOLTS.. arps can be reused. dont forget thread lock and sealant like toyota fipg.. basically silicone sealant.. not the bathroom kind.. lol drift motion has great price on arp bolts. .
Old 08-18-11, 04:50 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

thanks for the info. i just thru my 1jz swap in my car. didnt bother to separate the trans. i'll have to order these flywheel bolts made by ARP. i really dont wanna have to thru these sorts of issues.
Old 08-18-11, 06:06 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
r154 is very good, i love mine its strong as ****, i like it more than 6spd....story of my tranny problems are way worse.. LOL
first i had the twins and the w58.. i blew the w58 from a roll on the twins at 13psi.. then i got r154 with oem style clutch/stage1.. i broke flywheel bolts, then i got arp bolts, and did single turbo, then i broke the pressure plate, then i got arp stage 4 clutch kit and i tore the straps on that! sooo now the act got repaired and is now quad strapped...

if you have extra money you can send the r154 to martin crawler and they can make it race spec with billet parts and it will hold 1200hp.. they also sell thrust washers redesigned and billet shift fork.. iv launched mine at 5k full boost no problems and i dont have any billet parts or anything just r154.. lmk if u need help with your conversion..
Thanks bro,i will PM you when the time comes

thanks for the info. i just thru my 1jz swap in my car. didnt bother to separate the trans. i'll have to order these flywheel bolts made by ARP. i really dont wanna have to thru these sorts of issues.
You will be fine, R154 stock can handle 500+ easy
Old 08-18-11, 06:12 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

R154 is a good transmission if built right. Common point of failure is the thrust washer as mentioned before, but what causes that washer to go out is the retaining plate that holds it. When you put a lot of power through it or beat on it on a regular basis, the transmission mainshaft flexes under heavy loads causing the retaining plate to warp over time. soon the main shaft flexes so much the thrust washer gives in and breaks which could lead to catastrophic failure. In short, if you want a solid built transmission for a decent amount of money, R154 + marlin crawler parts will put you in good shape. You can either send them your trans and they rebuild/upgrade it for you at their price (need to call em) or buy your own parts and rebuild it yourself.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/
Old 08-18-11, 06:37 PM
sc300bigtx
Driver

i remember you calling me about my old clutch form my blown w58
i told you that damn thing would crap out on you lol
im surprised it lasted that long
get mc r154, strong single disc clucth, some extra hands to help, and some cold beer and stop worrying about a tranny
as thats what i did

Quick Reply: SMH 1 W58 Distroyed!! That didnt take long...