SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need some radio wiring help, put stock radio in, only sub works

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-11, 10:34 AM
trademark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some radio wiring help, put stock radio in, only sub works

So I bought this SC300 that had a broken aftermarket cd player/tv screen. I ripped it out (literally) and took out the aftermarket harness and reconnected all the stock wiring to a stock Lexus tape player that I bought on ebay. It powers up, but only the subwoofer works.

The strange thing is that there are blue speaker wires that have been run to the head unit area. I don't think they are stock, but I'm not sure where to splice them into the stock wiring (or if I even should).

Does anyone have any idea what might have taken place here? Should I stick with the stock Lexus tape player and make this work or is it going to be easier to buy an aftermarket DIN unit and adapter and just throw the OEM unit back on ebay?

Here is a photo of the blue speaker (i think) wires:
Need some radio wiring help, put stock radio in, only sub works-p0mll.jpg

And here is an overall photo of my mess:
Need some radio wiring help, put stock radio in, only sub works-oknrd.jpg
Old 08-07-11, 11:46 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those wires probably join the stock amp's wiring in the trunk. It's the classic shortcut for getting sound to the door speakers without running wires through the jambs. Look for the same color speaker wires at the amp in the trunk. You'll probably have to splice the stock wires back together at the amp harness.

It may very well be easier -- and better -- to go aftermarket. I've seen other threads where people are thrilled to have a working stock radio and/or changer and I don't see the attraction. "Yay, I've got 20 year old audio technology in my dash" when a mere $300 would get you a double-DIN, full-screen display unit -- sometimes with free backup camera if you catch the right sale at Crutchfield. Ebay is full of similar units for even less. My car may be from 1992 but there's no reason the stereo should be.
Old 08-09-11, 08:15 AM
trademark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MooJohn
Those wires probably join the stock amp's wiring in the trunk. It's the classic shortcut for getting sound to the door speakers without running wires through the jambs. Look for the same color speaker wires at the amp in the trunk. You'll probably have to splice the stock wires back together at the amp harness.

It may very well be easier -- and better -- to go aftermarket. I've seen other threads where people are thrilled to have a working stock radio and/or changer and I don't see the attraction. "Yay, I've got 20 year old audio technology in my dash" when a mere $300 would get you a double-DIN, full-screen display unit -- sometimes with free backup camera if you catch the right sale at Crutchfield. Ebay is full of similar units for even less. My car may be from 1992 but there's no reason the stereo should be.
I checked the changer/amp in the trunk, but the blue wires weren't there. I suspect that maybe they are run to the speakers, but I don't have a device to hook up to speaker wire and test it. (unless I bring my entire home surround sound and a power inverter out to the car haha).

It's weird that only the sub would work with the stock head unit in place, because I don't see any more hacked up stock wires. I am leaning toward just buying an aftermarket DIN unit, but I have to figure out where either the new speaker wires are, or the original ones in the harness.

EDIT: They are the speaker wires, I was able to test them. Does anyone know which wires in the harness are the factor speaker wires? I'd like to splice into them.

Last edited by trademark; 08-09-11 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-09-11, 08:30 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Use a AA battery to "pop" the speakers. Touch the speaker wires briefly to the battery and you'll hear the speaker they're connected to. Do it with the car off in case they're hooked into an amp instead. Head units put out more than 1.5 volts so it's completely safe.

If someone ran new wires into the doors then it would be 10x easier to just put an aftermarket deck in there. You can go as simple or as fancy as you want, with double-DIN units starting at $200 (like a JVC unit that lets you choose different colors for the display and buttons) and Crutchfield will give you the install kit and harness for free.
Old 08-09-11, 08:34 AM
trademark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MooJohn
Use a AA battery to "pop" the speakers. Touch the speaker wires briefly to the battery and you'll hear the speaker they're connected to. Do it with the car off in case they're hooked into an amp instead. Head units put out more than 1.5 volts so it's completely safe.

If someone ran new wires into the doors then it would be 10x easier to just put an aftermarket deck in there. You can go as simple or as fancy as you want, with double-DIN units starting at $200 (like a JVC unit that lets you choose different colors for the display and buttons) and Crutchfield will give you the install kit and harness for free.
I like crutchfield, but I need to buy something today and get this thing back together. I wonder where else I can get an install kit and harness.

Will the power antenna work with the aftermarket unit? Does anyone know which wire it is? My antenna broke off, and I shut the trunk on it so it stopped flapping around, but now the motor isn't making any noise... im a little worried..
Old 08-09-11, 05:58 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

I haven't tackled my tunes yet (still working on getting all the interior I need) but I think it uses the same Toyota harness they all did in that era. I remember something about having to tie two wires together to make the stock power antenna work -- I figured this out the hard way back in 1992 on an 89 Supra.

The hard part will be finding anyone with the SC dash kit in stock. The opening is actually "double-DIN plus a little" so only the SC-specific kit will do it. I assume you can screw any radio to the stock brackets just to put it in place for now.

This site has to already have everything you'd need for the stereo install. Search for a few different phrases and you're sure to find all the details. It sure beats my "maybes" and "mights"!