SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tail Lights Went Out; High-Beams; Strange Sound Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 08:06 AM
lexuspaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Lights Went Out; High-Beams; Strange Sound Tranny

My tail lights went out the same day my car was vandalized. There was a keying incident a couple of times which scratched the hood and door, panels, etc. I didn't know until being stopped by police for a non-functional tail light that the tail light was non-operational after the keying.

The bulbs were checked and are fine. The electronics in the trunk where the tail lights are connected was pulled out and verified all the way. The whole apparatus seems good. The wires do not appear to have been cut. I went out and bought fuses but do not know where to replace them (I think it is under the driver side panel above the foot pedals?) or which one to replace.

Can anybody help me on this? They worked when I bought this car several weeks ago.

The high-beams, on the other hand did not work then and after replacing the bulbs with new ones they do not turn on. Does anybody have any clue what that might be? The entire electrical system seems fine. The low-beams seem a bit low intensity, low lumen but it might be that I bought the lesser powered bulbs for those, I don't know -they do turn on and off.

Another fuse, perhaps?

Now, this last issue has to do with when starting the car and being in park, a whirring sound happens. Nobody notices it, say car sounds good but to me it sounds like something that shouldn't be taking place is, such as whirring friction on some part. The car does not have the same sound when taking the vehicle out of park into a different gear. Fluids seem fine.

Any clue?

This is a 1992 Lexus SC400 with about 87000 miles on it

Oh, and I do need to connect the stock stereo:_) I don't know where to do it but the tape and radio player is in the slot where it is supposed to be (close to air conditioner control) and the power stereo/cd change is in the trunk - I do not think it was messed around with as the wires feed through to the interior of the car and the pieces seem firmly in place. It simply needs to be connected.

Does anybody know where to do that or must I go to a car stereo place and spend the whatever $?

I just want to fix and drive it.

Thanks!

Last edited by lexuspaz; 06-15-11 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 08:57 AM
lexuspaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case anybody is checking in on this with similar problems, it was a FUSE for the tail light problems. The fuse box is under the carpet on the left hand of the driver's side area where the pedals are. You pull the carpeting up just past the door (by the hinges) and reveal a whole fuse assembly. One fuse was missing, probably dislodged from a turbulent event.
High-beams still do not work so am considering a line problem or a fuse problem which have not discovered yet. Will need to see every fuse and check for shorts.
New problem is that I connect the alarm wiring and it goes off with no way to stop it? I guess I need a key remote?