SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 Lexus SC300

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 02:32 AM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 Lexus SC300

Ok im pretty sure id like to shoot myself in the head because im pretty sure I got a lemon. I just bought a 92 SC... I drive it off the lot and everything is going good except half way home my A/C shuts off and no and I dont get turn signals and emergency lights. All of the interior accessories shut off except the radio. I get a block from my house and the car ran out of gas so I fill it up and it starts up fine but the same problem with the electrical is occurring. I turn it off and take a break and get a glass of water.

Then the car decides not to start anymore. Cranks but doesnt start... I start freaking out because all sorts of stuff is happening so I go and get more gas put it in the car then try to start it. Cranks but no start. I give it a day to sleep on it then I checked the fuse block and found out the ignition fuse was blown so I replaced it and it ran fine long enough to move it in my garage to try to get to the bottom of the rest of it.

So I take a crack at it the next day and no start again this time no crank, no start. Ive had it with the car and the list of problems seems so damn high I might just pull the entire harness and just replace it rather than deal with all the BS.

Here is a list of things currently wrong:

* Doesnt start (No Crank, No Start just a few audible clicks when I turn the key to on and one more when I turn it to start.)

* The dash only illuminates the warning lights when the key is turned to on. ( I did find that when I take out the 7.5A ign fuse it does illuminate correctly.)

* Nothing in the center console works except the stereo. (Which I have long since removed.)

* The door switches all work perfectly. (With the exception of the door locks on both sides.)

* Horn or turn signals dont work. (They worked once but thats after I replaced a fuse so theres a short somewhere...)

* Wipers dont work.

* There is no interior illumination of any sort. (Never have been working and the 10A dome fuse is blown and always blows out when I replace it in all conditions.)

* The door alert (the one where its telling you your key is in the ignition) does not work.

* Anti Theft light does not come on and never has.

* Several fuses in both fuse blocks were blown and have since been replaced but im willing to bet since last time I cranked it they are blown again. I will check tomorrow.

I think you get the general gist of what im talking about by now so im feeling a little bit overwhelmed by all the work I have ahead of me.

3 Things...

1. Does anyone think they can help?
2. Is this a lost cause and should I take it back?
3. Does anyone have a full 92 harness not cut anywhere as well as the ECU for sale?

Sigh... I just want another SC... :[
Old 05-31-11, 04:12 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 387 Likes on 228 Posts

Demand a freaking refund...
Old 05-31-11, 05:03 AM
vugy79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow drag that thing back to where it came from and throw it at them you should have lemon laws on your side
Old 05-31-11, 05:47 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

LOL @ Lemon laws for a 21 year old car.
Old 05-31-11, 06:51 AM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make some lemonade.
Old 05-31-11, 07:42 AM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Considering I have the ability to fix it im just going to ask for a severe reduction on the price in writing or just return the car and pick up one for cheaper than what I would be buying his for. Part of me wants to do it lol
Old 05-31-11, 08:29 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

First, you need to get a new battery to make sure its not causing some of your no start issues.

Second, some of your problems like the gauge cluster not working can sometimes be fixed by replacing the negative cable between the battery and starter and cleaning the grounds at the battery and engine.

Third, the climate control issues may be due to the fuse that also powers the cigarette lighter being blown. This fuse also powers the climate control panel and when it goes the A/C shuts down. You said the radio has been removed, maybe some of the other console wiring is crossed up.

I hope this kinda gets you pointed in the right direction.
Old 05-31-11, 09:03 AM
scottys209
Pole Position

A similar thing happened to me with a '01 Acura CL-S and a small dealer. Day after I signed the Docs, the trans went wack-o and lights were flashing all over in the cluster. I went back to the dealer, they gave me the "tough luck, buyer beware" thing even though I was being cool and offered a simple swap for a car of equal value, they still denied. Hardball time, realizing that I had signed to a Credit Union Direct Lending contract that they would source out the financing through CUDL approved banks, I called CUDL (credit union direct lending) and got a list of banks they were attempting to complete financing through. I called those banks directly, informed them that the collateral on the loan they are financing is worth a fraction of the amount due to the malfunction, and they promptly declined the loans based on the adjusted value of the vehicle. The dealer called me and offered to take the vehicle back when they got calls from the banks who threatened to take legal action against the dealer for fraud (this is the banks, not me) and the owner of the dealership changed his story quickly and gave me this moist conversation on how he would have taken the car back without all of that (when he denied me that multiple times already) and how I screwed him because thier best lenders will not lend to them anymore. The moral of the story is, they probably screwed you, so, figure out a way to screw them back if they do not help the situation.
Old 05-31-11, 02:21 PM
sj408
Instructor

You could bring it over and compare it to what all is done to mine if you need bro, just to make sure everything is connected right and etc.

or maybe a new harness would really fix all your problems, instead of having to hack up the one ya got.
Old 05-31-11, 05:29 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scottys209
A similar thing happened to me with a '01 Acura CL-S and a small dealer. Day after I signed the Docs, the trans went wack-o and lights were flashing all over in the cluster. I went back to the dealer, they gave me the "tough luck, buyer beware" thing even though I was being cool and offered a simple swap for a car of equal value, they still denied. Hardball time, realizing that I had signed to a Credit Union Direct Lending contract that they would source out the financing through CUDL approved banks, I called CUDL (credit union direct lending) and got a list of banks they were attempting to complete financing through. I called those banks directly, informed them that the collateral on the loan they are financing is worth a fraction of the amount due to the malfunction, and they promptly declined the loans based on the adjusted value of the vehicle. The dealer called me and offered to take the vehicle back when they got calls from the banks who threatened to take legal action against the dealer for fraud (this is the banks, not me) and the owner of the dealership changed his story quickly and gave me this moist conversation on how he would have taken the car back without all of that (when he denied me that multiple times already) and how I screwed him because thier best lenders will not lend to them anymore. The moral of the story is, they probably screwed you, so, figure out a way to screw them back if they do not help the situation.
Nice
Old 05-31-11, 08:04 PM
arcticm3
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I would suggest getting a pre-purchase inspection next time.
Old 06-01-11, 08:14 AM
DriftChris
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
First, you need to get a new battery to make sure its not causing some of your no start issues.

Second, some of your problems like the gauge cluster not working can sometimes be fixed by replacing the negative cable between the battery and starter and cleaning the grounds at the battery and engine.

Third, the climate control issues may be due to the fuse that also powers the cigarette lighter being blown. This fuse also powers the climate control panel and when it goes the A/C shuts down. You said the radio has been removed, maybe some of the other console wiring is crossed up.

I hope this kinda gets you pointed in the right direction.
It is a new battery, Plus I put the battery from my SC race car in it and same problem. Ill check those things also. Im putting it back together right now and taking it to the dealership because they want to take a crack at it and try to fix it lol... I overlooked things on the inspection because of excitement... whats their excuse hahaha