SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Vinyl wrapping

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 06:10 AM
ewingli
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl wrapping

For people who work in the vinyl area, what's the best measurement recommended to wrap a car, specially sc400.

Where's the best place to purchase the material?

I plan on practicing on my beater first (MX-3) then start working on my SC after i get the body kit.
Old 05-20-11, 07:34 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will need two rolls at 60"h x 10 yards long. Or you can purchase a 60"h x 25yard roll. Choose a vinyl from the "big three"....Oracal, Avery, or 3M. Prices vary but you'll be looking at $500-700 for material alone. Pick up a heat gun, felt squeegee, and an exacto knife with fresh blades on hand. Best of luck and post pics when you're done.
Old 05-20-11, 02:22 PM
Tret
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here we go, post #14-18 : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nother-sc.html

Tabaka has some good info. ASTERiSK and myself asked some good questions about it as well and I posted a video if you want to try yourself.

Tabaka I have a question about cleaning it. Is there a special method or just regular wash?
Old 05-20-11, 03:22 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tret
Here we go, post #14-18 : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...nother-sc.html

Tabaka has some good info. ASTERiSK and myself asked some good questions about it as well and I posted a video if you want to try yourself.

Tabaka I have a question about cleaning it. Is there a special method or just regular wash?
Hand wash is probably the best thing you can do. No need for polishes or special cleaners. If it starts getting really dirty and normal soap can't do the trick, use 99% rubbing alcohol and a rag. If you chose a glossy color, a scratch can be removed by applying heat from a heat gun or blow torch. Just be careful. If you have a matte finish, limit the amount of heat as it will make the vinyl turn glossy.
Old 05-20-11, 04:28 PM
Tret
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for that information. now that you mention it I do use that rubbing alcohol on my invisible shield on m phone which is a similar material in clear.
Old 05-21-11, 10:02 AM
ewingli
Pole Position

Great information guys, thank!
Old 05-23-11, 01:30 AM
96blksc300
Driver

I have experience with the Oracal 970RMA .. excellent film I must say. Set up an account with Fellers... order what you need, and pick it up or have it shipped to you

heres mine in its "daily trim". Some pics were after a rain. This is their matte wrap. Its more of a satin that anyone else's that I have seen, which is why i chose it.

Last edited by 96blksc300; 05-23-11 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 03:44 AM
coolewong
Driver

not a big fan of matte... but that's a nice one
thou i'd still recommend u to get a wrap in gloss (or matte pearl white!)
Old 05-23-11, 05:11 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Damn looks good and did you have someone do it for you?
Old 05-23-11, 07:53 AM
96blksc300
Driver

Thank you good sir... No I did it in my garage. Got the wife to help hold up some big pieces lol. I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out concidering that this was the first time i had wrapped anything lol.

I'm waiting my my Volks to come back from the powder coater and some side skirts. Then I will get some proper pics to post up Just been too busy with getting all the turbo stuff sorted out (getting rid of the sidemount and going FMIC, swapping to black interior, ect..). I always seem to have too many projects going on at the same time hahaha.
Old 11-05-13, 10:57 PM
98$c300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 96blksc300
I have experience with the Oracal 970RMA .. excellent film I must say. Set up an account with Fellers... order what you need, and pick it up or have it shipped to you

heres mine in its "daily trim". Some pics were after a rain. This is their matte wrap. Its more of a satin that anyone else's that I have seen, which is why i chose it.

Wow you did it yourself?it came out great!i'm thinking of wrap to.my black paint sucks.and a paint job cost a lot.i'm just afraid of a paint shop doing a crappy job in the end.
One thing I want to find out is how you did the roof?since our roof flows into the quarters.
Old 11-06-13, 12:48 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seams will be required in some places. Where they are, how clean the cut is would determine how it looks to the eye.

Be careful with using alcohol. Anything that diesn't come off with soap and water may mean it'll have to stay there. If the alcohol doesn't take the stain off on the first try... the alcohol can eventually start removing the colors from the vinyl.

Good thing you guys did it yourself. We charge about $3000+ and that's the lowest around here.
Old 11-06-13, 01:14 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

At my shop, we would charge around $2,500-$3,000. Seams are required on the hood, A pillar, and C pillar. I was going to wrap my hood one day and thought the 63" material was going to be large enough...Negative Ghost Rider. Depending on the install, if you start from the front of the car and work backwards, the hood needs a seam close to the A pillar.

I wrapped my roof satin black over the weekend for the hell of it. There is no rain/water channel so I sort of winged the cut line along the sides going backwards. Only took me about 30 minutes tops.

Old 11-06-13, 03:48 PM
94Soarer
Rookie

I was going to post something like this in the next few days haha.. I was wondering if anyone has done on a white sc like a wrap on he roof gloss black seen it on a few cars looked good wondered how it would look on our cars. also with this stuff can you go o like a wand wash and wash the car or dose it have to be hand wash ?
Old 11-06-13, 04:51 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always recommend hand washes. Cannot guarantee the film will hold to anything else that is not as gentle but should be fine.

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrapping