SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Keep the SC, or trade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 08:35 AM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep the SC, or trade?

I've been wanting to trade/sell my 93 Spruce Silver 400 forever now. Was hoping when I dropped it and put my rims on it would rejuvenate my interest, and it has somewhat, but as a car guy, everything has a price. I found a guy in Atlanta, 2 hours from me with a trade that tickles my pickle. He's got a 91 Mercedes SL300 in black I'm interested in. Anyone familiar with the SL class Benzs? I'd keep my rims and give him the lowered car with the IS300 wheels that I just had on it till last week and would just sell my SSI Design rims to someone on here or a Supra guy or something I guess.
Old 05-17-11, 08:42 AM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

I heard those old Mercedes are worst to maintain/fix than our cars. How's the condition of the SL?
Old 05-17-11, 08:43 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car isn't interesting to you anymore, then why keep it?
Old 05-17-11, 09:52 AM
lemaylexus
Driver

There's a couple cool things about old Mercedes. First of all, as far as I can tell, Mercedes's name was synonymous with quality and reliability up until the mid- to late-90s. Secondly, Mercedes keeps parts for every car they've ever made in storage, so if you come across some obscure part you need to replace chances are it would be possible to get it. Lastly, fourth-gen SL's are just plain cool - they made that body style all the way until 2002, and I think it's a timeless design.

Now, all of that being said, you're talking about going from a 18 year old car to a 20 year old car; there's bound to be some problems and they probably won't be cheap to fix. If the SL is in great shape I'd say go for it, especially if you have been wanting to part ways with your 400 for that long.
Old 05-17-11, 09:54 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^ agreed
Old 05-17-11, 10:30 AM
RockRash
Pole Position

im feeling the same way about my sc kinda. i miss driving my 4x4 yota so much. the sc had tons of road advantages. plenty of power for me, rides smooth. i can pass up hills. looks sexy and ppl turn their heads wanting to know what type of car it is and blah blah. i'd prob trade it for another toyota 4x4 runner or pickup preferably one with a SAS and a 4 banger
Old 05-17-11, 10:58 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow nice i actually like the SLs, If your not happy with the SC and the SL is in great shape go for it and dont look back

Last edited by Joey-E; 05-17-11 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-17-11, 11:03 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

German cars are very exp to maintain and not as reliable as people make them out to be and I own an Audi s6 which I can't wait to get out from under that.

Stay far away if you can help it!
Old 05-17-11, 01:08 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

4000 pound car with 190hp.......
Old 05-17-11, 01:21 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will regret that trade for the rest of your life.... last time i was takin in my mercedes to the shop for service some guy told one of the techs mercedes are the best car ever ALL of the mechanics looked over and laughed hysterically then he proceeded to ask well what are the best cars then? i whipped out my lexus key and held it up high and they all pointed to me and said buy a lexus.
Old 05-17-11, 01:27 PM
313sc3
Lead Lap

No more Mercedes fo me. I've been down that path once. The only car I'd trade my Platinum silver sc400 for would be a diamond pearl white 300 or 400.
Old 05-17-11, 03:25 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sj408
you will regret that trade for the rest of your life.... last time i was takin in my mercedes to the shop for service some guy told one of the techs mercedes are the best car ever ALL of the mechanics looked over and laughed hysterically then he proceeded to ask well what are the best cars then? i whipped out my lexus key and held it up high and they all pointed to me and said buy a lexus.
quoted for truth
Old 05-17-11, 04:14 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 420 Likes on 344 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by sj408
Wow! Are they really that bad?
Old 05-17-11, 04:46 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by lemaylexus
There's a couple cool things about old Mercedes. First of all, as far as I can tell, Mercedes's name was synonymous with quality and reliability up until the mid- to late-90s. Secondly, Mercedes keeps parts for every car they've ever made in storage, so if you come across some obscure part you need to replace chances are it would be possible to get it. Lastly, fourth-gen SL's are just plain cool - they made that body style all the way until 2002, and I think it's a timeless design.

Now, all of that being said, you're talking about going from a 18 year old car to a 20 year old car; there's bound to be some problems and they probably won't be cheap to fix. If the SL is in great shape I'd say go for it, especially if you have been wanting to part ways with your 400 for that long.
I agree, from what ive heard and what ive learned mercedes used to be machine built to last.

Up until the mid 90-s when they took a huge dump quality wise.

Why does no one ever mention mileage.

tell us the mileage of both your sc and the sl, mileage is an extremely important factor in a deal like this.

If this sl has high mileage walk away and dont look back.

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
4000 pound car with 190hp.......
those are terrible specs for such a high end car.

Originally Posted by Kira X
Wow! Are they really that bad?
My mechanic owned a early to mid 90's mercedes and sold it for next to nothing after owning it for less than a year.

He said it was one thing after another, parts are ridiculously priced and hard to source out and he said he would never ever buy one again.

Modern benzes are given the well deserved title of 'lemons'
Old 05-17-11, 05:48 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds like you're bored with the SC. Trade it in and buy something that interests you man.

Quick Reply: Keep the SC, or trade?