SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

First attempt DIY headlight cleanup - FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 10:48 PM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First attempt DIY headlight cleanup - FAIL

After I gave the car a good wash I had heavy condensation on the passenger side headlight. I have seen OLT's headlight DIY and it looked easy enough.

I take the headlight off and I am having no luck splitting the headlight apart. But from close inspection of my headlights I see signs of wipe marks inside the lens which suggest that the headlight may have been taken apart by the previous owner to fix it. The adhesive used may be stronger than OEM. Sticking it in the oven is not getting it to soften enough that I can split it open. It is sealed so tight that I am questioning where it should split apart.

The 2nd picture I drew a pink line in the area where I think it should split apart. I need someone to in the forum to confirm.

This is how it looked after the wash. It has been 2 days since, and the weather in So Cali has been nice and warm. It is not going away.

I drew a line in pink where I think it should split from the lens. Once it is split, how does the lens detach from the chrome piece? Are there scres between the black backing and the gray/chrome middle piece?

Last edited by booga; 05-04-11 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-04-11, 10:51 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct, remove those clips as well as the ones on the bottom. Then put it back in the oven. That should do the trick. Use a putty knife to pry instead of a flat head. A wider instrument will spread the force over a larger area; therefore, decreasing the chance of damaging the groove.
Old 05-04-11, 10:54 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i acutally have pics of this lol im doing a retrofit i'll see if i can post some up for you in second
Old 05-04-11, 10:58 PM
booga
Pole Position

I started this some hours ago, and I don't see that I will be able to fix this anytime soon. After wedging a butter knife where the adhesive is and bending some pieces, I think I made it worst. I may have created enough wedges in the adhesive that I have created more pockets where moisture can collect and enter the headlight.

Damage I have done. Now I am looking for the plumbers tape fix posted some days ago. I will have to do that instead.

For those who have done this DIY, what color adhesive/silicone was on there? I am finding globs of grey adhesive. I'm not sure if this adhesive was done in the factory. I may be trying to pry open a headlight with stronger than expected adhesive applied to it by the previous owner.

Old 05-04-11, 10:59 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

once you heat it up real nice and good either with a heat gun or oven method id usually start at the pointed end of the housings and grab small metal bracket with a rag and then pull on the lens... starts to move a bit then i use a screw driver to move aside some of that glue its pretty thick in that area so it takes time but dont get frustrated... take your time and pry a bit at a time and pull a bit at a time.. im using a heat gun though...

once thats apart theres a screw holding in the reflectors just 1 and there might be some glue on the sides that make it stick in place just heat it up a bit and pull it out after you get that 1 screw

then it should all be apart

Last edited by broda805; 05-04-11 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-04-11, 11:01 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

are you using a heat gun or oven?
Old 05-04-11, 11:07 PM
chaacmool1
Rookie

hello booga what temperature has bake much how long your headlight
Old 05-04-11, 11:13 PM
booga
Pole Position

Broda805,

Thank you for posting those pictures. Seeing it actually gives me hope. I will put the light back on tonight and will be continuing this DIY tomorrow.

I stuck it in the oven at 250 degrees. Maybe I am too nervous that I might melt it and took it out too soon. Maybe about 10 mins.

Note to self - get a putty knife.
Old 05-04-11, 11:26 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

you can go a little lower on the heat and a little longer. thats what my buddy does, once you get it out wear some leather gloves and go to town on it, it cools down pretty quick where the glue gets tough again but dont be in too much of a hurry you can always pop it back in. the grey glue is oem and theres ALOT thats why there is so much resistance
Old 05-04-11, 11:35 PM
booga
Pole Position

I stuck it back in the oven, and got on the computer long enough to search through e-bay for headlights for sale. I found I nice deal on a pair for a little over $100.

Then got back on the headlight in the oven. This time keeping in mind "start at the pointed end". That was very helpful advise! I saw it give a little, so I wiggled it around and saw the adhesive stretch some more.

It is open!!!

Old 05-04-11, 11:44 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

good stuff! and dont bother with them ebay lights they're 30 foot'ers looks good from 30 feet and worse as you get closer
Old 05-04-11, 11:58 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm gonna do this tomorrow! Great post! My headlights in the driver's side also have heavy condensation and since I'm picking up my HID's tomorrow I'm gonna do everything in 1 day! (Hopefully) I think this is a common problem for SC's... Or usually for headlights that experienced a bumper to bumper collision... Thanks! This is good stuff!
Old 05-05-11, 01:43 AM
booga
Pole Position

Removing the OEM adhesive was messy, but I think I got it sealed back up air tight. I will find out the next time I wash the car.

The inside of the headlight was clean except for the water spots created by the condensation. There were no marks on the parabolic lens.

I just need to remove a smudge left by the adhesive which melted on the outside of the lens cover.

Old 05-05-11, 08:41 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good. My worry with doing this is always sealing it back up properly. Let us know how you did..
Old 05-05-11, 08:51 AM
booga
Pole Position

I have it sealed back up and installed back on the car. I will take it back out and may add some more silicone to be sure before I test it with a car wash. I was also considering applying plumbers tape as discussed on another thread.

Quick Reply: First attempt DIY headlight cleanup - FAIL