SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Miles on half a tank...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-12, 04:16 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I got 226 miles to the tank just now. With this kind of MPG I wish I was boosted.
Old 05-16-12, 11:37 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I got 226 miles to the tank just now. With this kind of MPG I wish I was boosted.
Damn...
Try putting some seafoam in your gas tank?
Old 05-17-12, 12:00 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

SeaFoam is a cleaner, it can't do anything about my bad MAF.
Old 05-17-12, 12:03 AM
durps
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
SeaFoam is a cleaner, it can't do anything about my bad MAF.
Oops sorry, thought you didn't know where you bad gas mileage was coming from.
Old 05-17-12, 11:17 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poor mileage is a sure sign that a car may be LONG overdue for some scheduled maintenance (ie. plugs, filters, injector cleaning, etc.). Of course, you shouldn't overlook routine maintenance like regularly checking your air pressure.
Old 05-17-12, 11:18 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

BTW, I would be curious to know... From the people who are suffering from poor gas mileage, how many of you are running wider tires?
Old 05-17-12, 11:46 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get about 200-250 on E85 full tank, i used to get 325-350 miles on full tank on 93octane.
Old 05-17-12, 12:48 PM
tonyfont
Driver School Candidate

I would love to get 300+ miles per tank...i get about 240-260 per full tank...average of 15-16 MPG
Old 05-17-12, 01:13 PM
GamblerZ
Driver

I keep reading that people are only getting 16mpg (mileage of course varies with driving habits). However, when you consider that the SC is supposed to have a 20+ gallon tank, then 296 miles is probably about right. Unless you run your car bone dry, you will never really know what your range will be. Be forewarned though, running your tank dry can compromise your fuel pump, or cause you to suck up those stray loose impediments that the filter sock did not catch clogging your lines.

Having looked at the design of the fuel cell it doesn't seem likely that there are air pockets preventing anyone from filling their tank completely, unlike many GM cars. My guess is that Lexus has the Low Fuel indicator set to a very conservative level to prevent their owners from ever getting stranded.
Old 05-17-12, 02:01 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GamblerZ
Poor mileage is a sure sign that a car may be LONG overdue for some scheduled maintenance (ie. plugs, filters, injector cleaning, etc.). Of course, you shouldn't overlook routine maintenance like regularly checking your air pressure.
Those are the first parts I checked when this problem started. The previous owner didn't cheap out on my SC, everything is Denso OE parts as far as I can see. Timing belt was done at 152k miles, so I'm expecting he did all maintenance together with that, since all look fairly new. I'm only at 182k miles right now. But after changing my MAF and I still have the same MPG, then I'm doing a major tune up of everything to be sure.
Old 05-17-12, 02:18 PM
GamblerZ
Driver

I don't know whether the '95 SC400 is OBDII, but if it is, plugging a scanner in to monitor while you drive might offer some revealing information.

Does your car smell like gas while idling or driving down the road. It could be that your car is running in a rich condition.

Who changes your oil? Does it smell like fuel? If so, it could be that fuel is getting passed the rings and the rings need replacing.

A stuck thermostat could be keeping the car from warming up properly.

What about an engine temp sensor? A faulty one might be sending the wrong information to the ECU and delivering the wrong fuel map.

One that happened to a friend was that the parking brakes were not releasing properly and were partially engaged while he was driving.

I've already mentioned alignment and tire pressure.
Old 05-17-12, 02:28 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GamblerZ
I don't know whether the '95 SC400 is OBDII, but if it is, plugging a scanner in to monitor while you drive might offer some revealing information.

Does your car smell like gas while idling or driving down the road. It could be that your car is running in a rich condition.

Who changes your oil? Does it smell like fuel? If so, it could be that fuel is getting passed the rings and the rings need replacing.

A stuck thermostat could be keeping the car from warming up properly.

What about an engine temp sensor? A faulty one might be sending the wrong information to the ECU and delivering the wrong fuel map.

One that happened to a friend was that the parking brakes were not releasing properly and were partially engaged while he was driving.

I've already mentioned alignment and tire pressure.
These were the info I was asking about on my thread, and the typical members, don't really care to comment unless its a build thread you have rather than a restoration thread. Very helpful info, I'll answer everything in the order asked;

'95 below are OBDI, I'm hoping my neighbor who has the OBDI scanner can find the plug by this weekend so we can get more insight at what's happening with my SC.

I'm pretty sure my SC is running rich. It smells really rich when I warm up the engine in the morning.

I do my oil change, and yes it smells like fuel. And I thought that's normal.

I doubt it, my SC warms up fine. I did a complete coolant flush when I first got my SC about a year ago, and coolant was clean, it was really just been serviced when I got it.

I just changed the temp sensor a few weeks ago, together with my fuel filter and gas cap.

I need to check that again, because last time, my front left wheel wouldn't spin freely when lifted on air, but it wasn't really bad. I have LS BBK waiting to be installed, just waiting for the break pads to go or seals or whichever goes first to maximize use.

I recently just got an alignment and I check tire pressure daily.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate that!