SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1uzfe and 2usfe turbo manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 11:28 AM
sc400nos

Question

Hello, I am new to this forum, but I used Ladman until he went down.
I have a question about a turbo manifold that is for the 2uzfe engine which is in the TOYOTA LANDCRUISER and the LX470. I was wondering if anyone knew if the monifold would also fit on the 1uzfe engine which is in my 93' SC400. If the heads are the same I feel like it would bolt up, but I would like to know for sure before I order it.
All of your help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-14-01, 12:27 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure, but I would suspect that the 4.7L with it being a truck application may have significantly different exhaust as trucks typically have much more room under the hood to work with. The SC400 is pretty tight- the ports may line up, but the header may not fit due to space restrictions...
Old 03-14-01, 01:52 PM
FastSC300

Default reply

just let Lance modify it to fit!! he can do it!
SH
Old 03-14-01, 02:24 PM
sc400nos

Question turbo manifold for sc400

I am new to this forum, could you please tell me who lance is. I am very interested in getting a turbo manifold made.
Old 03-14-01, 04:16 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Exclamation

Do you have a link with picture(s) of this manifold? Is is cast iron or tube style? Where are the turbos mounted, high, low, front, back? Incon builds turbosystems for both the LS1 Corvette and the LS1 Z28s and TAs and the manifolding is COMPLETELY different due to the difference in cars. I agree that the truck with more space will most likely not work.
Old 03-14-01, 07:17 PM
abdul10000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SC400nos welcom back,

actuly you never left this forum, but I mean its ben I while I didn't hear from you after what happend to ladman.

tray

ToyoMoto
http://www.toyomoto.com/
or
Sound Performance
http://www.sound-performance.com/

Good luck and let us know what happen.

Abdulrahman

Old 03-14-01, 07:20 PM
abdul10000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

opps

actually, been too!
Old 03-14-01, 11:43 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 1UZ and 2UZ are basically the same block (dimensionally) with similar heads.

The intake and exhaust angles are different on the heads, so the manifolds are not really interchangeable without major modifications.

If you have any other specific fitment questions, feel free to ask!

Todd M.
TM Engineering
http://www.tmengineering.net
Old 03-15-01, 10:06 AM
sc400nos

Todd M, thanks for the detailed info. I believe I have sent some e-mails concerning a turbo for my car. The only problem is that I am in Kentucky. My biggest setback is the turbo manifold. If you have any ideas I am listening.

Thanks, Tice
Old 03-15-01, 01:52 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

I have been debating on how to help you out from this distance, without having your car here. The manifolds are not really a problem, however there would be a good amount of work to move a couple things around in the engine compartment to get it all to fit.

I have a couple ideas I'll email you directly.

Todd
TM Engineering

Old 03-15-01, 02:47 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Question

Todd, From your responses and your signature picture of the SC drag racing I am guessing you have a turbo SC? If true what engine and what year? I would love to see pics of the motor.

Very interesting that Lexus/Toyota would engineer seperate heads and manifolds for the V8 truck applications. Even if the manifolds would physically bolt up the odds of the manifolds (and turbos) from a truck app actually fitting an SC would be remote to none. What are you thinking for manifolding? I was toying with the idea of adapters from the stock exh man to low mount turbos with an oil scavenge system. I do not know if space would allow this or not. Incon does this on the Vette and FBody apps.
Old 03-15-01, 03:03 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Ok, checked out your site and saw the SC400 with NOS. What is the race weight? I calc 405hp for 113mph at 3600lbs and 450hp for 4000lbs. Don't know how stripped the car is but doubt it is under 3600 with driver. Very cool to have a Lexus drag car. I can hear the locals "what the hell is that thing".
Old 03-15-01, 03:24 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

OMG I typed a whole page but the picture I attached was too big and it lost the whole page I typed!!!

WHAT A POS!!!

Old 03-15-01, 03:46 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot what I typed before...blah...I'll try to re-ramble everything...

On the 1uz vs 2uz: aluminum block vs. iron block, 6 bolt mains vs 2 bolt mains, 2uz has bigger bore and stroke. As you can see, they are similar but still very different. Either could be a good choice for serious hp, but the specific situation would dicate which would be best.

The first phase of testing on our car was to run an 8 fogger 200 hp direct port setup on the 100,000 mile, 100% stock vehicle. It responded very well, including the stock transmission and rear end (on 26x10 M/T slicks). Low end torque was quite impressive, with the car close to (and probably did) catching a little air under the front tires on launch.

The car is almost done with the next phase, but I can't disclose any details at this time. All I can say is that you will definitely see more of this car in the near future! There are a couple other cars out there, but this will be the only one that retains the stock unibody.

As far as turbocharging, I think the best way to go is to do a single setup like the Grand Nationals/single turbo 5.0 Mustangs. This would allow you to put a fairly large sized unit which would bring significant power gains. I have seen twin setups with the turbos mounted low, but the turbos were so small that I personally don't see much benefit vs. the dollars and effort that were put forth.

Supercharging is a good, cost effective start, but in the long run, turbocharging is the way to go. A blower only requires mounting bracketry and some intake ducting, which is why they are simple to install. However, to create large amounts of boost, you need to have a belt that is SO tight that it will begin to cause wear on the crankshaft bearings (and possibly even cause mechanical stress at the center of the crank!). This could conceivably cause your crank to break right in the middle if this type of stress is frequent. High boost supercharged Mustangs do this all the time. The hp that is robbed increases exponentially with a desired increase in boost, so after a while you aren't being very efficient in gaining the power that you would be looking for. Any boost over 12-14 psi with a blower requires a belt that is very tight to avoid any slippage. These normally attach to a pulley that is in FRONT of the crank pulley, which gives the blower even more leverage for the side load that is exerted on the crank.

Basically, superchargers are good for low boost, lower budgets. If you try to push too much, you will have problems down the road.

Todd M.
TM Engineering
Attached Thumbnails 1uzfe and 2usfe turbo manifold-sc400enginel.jpg  

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 03-15-01 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-15-01, 03:54 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

113 was actually at very high altitude at about 90 degrees, back at our normal track (Pomona) it would have been in the 116-117 range. The car was right under 3800 with driver that day.

The only modifications were removal of the cats, some 2 1/4" dynomax mufflers and 2 MSD 6AL's with some coils - nothing that would really add hp, just not restrict when the nitrous was on.

I never bothered to calculate it, but I figured it was around 500hp or so.

The stock driveline held up for a good 20+ passes on the slicks...quite impressive!

That was just phase I - We had a little fun, suckered a couple people at the street races for a few hundred bucks, nothing ever broke, that was about it...never bothered to analyze those modifications or hp gains that much.

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 03-15-01 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 1uzfe and 2usfe turbo manifold