SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

*new member* sc400 project :D

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 06:29 PM
dougEfresh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *new member* sc400 project :D

Hi guys! I've been lurking the site for a month or so... bought an sc400 last night so I figured I should register and say hello. I have owned many many cars (over 60) and am no noob.. that said I will have some questions but am able to search . Anyways, been a fan of the sc300/400 for a long long while.. initially I wanted an sc300, and might still get one but figured I was getting a good deal on this car I have many many plans for this car. But, that said I also have tons and tons of work to do. So here are a few pics for everyone to be able to wrap their heads around this project a bit. I haven't touched, cleaned or done not 1 thing to this car yet, so don't ride my *** about the shape just yet :P

So as you can see.. its got a lot of work that needs done. I have some ideas and would love to hear some suggestions..
Here are some general thoughts on where I want to go with certain area's of the car.

Exterior.. prob. Looking to do it real clean. Prob. Gonna do black on black exterior. Not murdered out though. 98 sideskirts and front bumper, oem lip or might go aftermarket, not sure yet. Might black out the headlight housings, or just clean the lights, not sure on that either.

Interior.. obviously I have a lot of work to do.. I'm inbetween a few options here.. I don't want leather, its cold in winter, hot in summer.. I just don't like it. I have family in washington that can refinish all the stock seats in pretty much any material I want.. or I can purchase some different oem seats from another car or just go aftermarket. Maybe some factory evo seats, black s2k seats, rsx seats, or some tenzo's or something.. I dunno. What do you guys think?
Gonna replace the door panels, and a few misc. panels/pieces.. gotta replace the climate control and look into either a new or used steering wheel.. want to go with something oem, cause ultimatly I want this car to NOT feel like its modded when inside it.. I want it to remain as comfortable as when it was in his prime.. sterio and stuff for myself will be an afterthought, so not even goin there yet.

Engine/performance.... well, since this is the 4.0l it doesn't have the same aftermarket support as its little brother.. I think what I'll be doing is a few simple modifications. Intake, H pipe and full exhaust. I have been reading a lot the lst day or so about throwing an eaton m90 supercharger on it.. I have the complete setup that could be modified to fit this... we'll have to see though.. cause the stock tranny even in power mode won't keep up with the power added from the supercharger.. so we'll see.

Suspension... thus far I know I want some coilovers.. gonna need some suggestions from you guys. I know I want to go with the hellaflush look/stance..

Brakes.. funny how this is almost last on the list but I feel like for an almost stock car the oem brakes are more then enough.. if I supercharge it, then maybe a brake conversion may be in order, or just some quality parts installed.

Anyways.. add some comments guys and let me know what ya think.. I'll be updating everytime I get some work done.. opinions on wheels, seats, lips, whatever.
Old 12-17-10, 06:34 PM
dougEfresh
Driver School Candidate

Day 2... kinda... those last pics were the first "day" I had the car home as I got it home at night.

Gave the car a bath so I could better see what I am workin with... far from perfect but its not the worst.. fairly straight and no rust or. Anything like that

But its not all good news... the body to me isn't gonna be the worst part.. I need almost all new interior.. basically everything minus the dash.. my speedo and tach needles don't light up (typical), my seats are waisted, my center consol is junk, the door cards are junk, same with the carpet.. also my center consol digital readout for the climate control is only 50% lit.. its gonna be a long an expensive rode.
Old 12-17-10, 06:37 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

welcome to CL.. take your time, have fun and gl with the project
Old 12-17-10, 08:10 PM
boostin240
Driver

Welcome and congrats on getting a SC. Hope your project goes well and feel free to PM me if you have any issues or need help.
Old 12-17-10, 08:37 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome!!!!
Old 12-17-10, 09:02 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i have rsx seats, love them, but wished i got s2k seats instead for the extra 50 or 100 it would of cost me

as for the 4.0l, im looking in swapping blocks with a 2uz
Old 12-17-10, 09:05 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome! Really looking forward to what you'll be doing. Maybe some DIYs, pretty please?
Old 12-17-10, 10:03 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

welcome another 400 driver yeessss!
Old 12-17-10, 10:21 PM
sc3tech
Driver

welcome! im pretty new myself and the info in these boards are amazing. great place for information
Old 12-17-10, 10:54 PM
dougEfresh
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks for the kind words guys! I look forward to getting to know you in the coming months.
Some good news just a few minutes ago.. I'm a member of a local website, called idahomotorsports.com and have a build thread on there as well.. another member has located my twin car at a salvage yard, and believes it is a straight car!! That's a blessing cause lexus's here in idaho are especially rare and I plan on ordering a lot of parts but hopefully this cuts down on that.

That said I do have one question.. I have never heard the factory sound system in these cars.. most of my sterio system is has been torn out.. the only original thing is the factory amp. My dash harness has been cut and straight wired to a sterio, so I'll be replacing all that wiring but I guess my quesstion is, should I replace the original subwoofer with another oem one and just upgrade my interior speakers or look into an aftermarket sub? I have a few reasons beyond the obvious for asking.. 1 I have a young child, though I like a loud sterio, I have my son with me 90% of the time and have little to no use for even a single 12" sub. And trunk space.. there isn't a lot already and I don't want to use up more if I don't have to. No one around here has an sc so i'd be takin your guys' word for it. If you think the oem sub was garbage, do you know of an aftermarket that fits in that same area?
Old 12-18-10, 12:22 AM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was pretty bad at first too, but my car pulled through with a better interior. Glad this sort of relates to me
Old 12-18-10, 12:47 AM
dougEfresh
Driver School Candidate

Got any pics or a build thread?
Old 12-18-10, 12:57 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an oem sides and rear 97+ body kit if your willing to pay shipping we can work something out!
Old 12-18-10, 01:36 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
I have an oem sides and rear 97+ body kit if your willing to pay shipping we can work something out!
Take what xxtoobsxx is offering you! ^^^

Your SC already has an oem lip, add what xxtoobsxx is offering,drop it with coilovers and get some nice wheels and your car will be golden.
Old 12-18-10, 04:52 PM
dougEfresh
Driver School Candidate

Xxtoobsxx I might tak you up on that. I have located 3 sc's here locally being parted out that I'm gonn go hit up tomorrow. If I they have nothing that I need then let's get this done son! Please text me some pics, 208 407 2610.. thanks..

No real updates today. I got a spare eaton m90 that I've been messing with. I have a running driving ford thunderbird sc that I am considering tearing apart and using the supercharger and intercooler.. since I have all the inlet piping I think that might save alittle on fab work. We'll see :

Quick Reply: *new member* sc400 project :D