SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 09:41 PM
Nick201
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 Exhaust System

Hi everyone, i am a newer to a 96 SC400, just bought it a month. And i have been searching for an exhaust system around $300-400 to put on car. But i can't find anything on the internet. I see on ebay the Megan Racing Exhaust muffler costs around $350, does it really make the sc400 perform better??? I would like to ask for any recommendation about the exhaust system from you all SC lovers. Thanks for helping!!!
Old 09-08-10, 11:47 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search regarding X-pipe and magnaflow 14829. You will see that people on the forum have gone this custom route since there no aftermarket catback systems made for the car. It is relatively inexpensive; around 500 for all parts and labor. It should not cost you more than 200 to get the system welded.

Megans, Tanabe, and 5zigen megas are all axleback mufflers. They could only do so much in regards to performance.

Gut the center cat, resonators, get some straight pipes with a center X pipe in there and finish it off with some Magnaflows!
Old 09-08-10, 11:58 PM
tjfrom215
Rookie

d.i.y or die, or you can order the full system Blitz offers,
its 1000 bucks though
Old 09-09-10, 05:20 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by One HoT
Do a search regarding X-pipe and magnaflow 14829. You will see that people on the forum have gone this custom route since there no aftermarket catback systems made for the car. It is relatively inexpensive; around 500 for all parts and labor. It should not cost you more than 200 to get the system welded.

Megans, Tanabe, and 5zigen megas are all axleback mufflers. They could only do so much in regards to performance.

Gut the center cat, resonators, get some straight pipes with a center X pipe in there and finish it off with some Magnaflows!
I also recommend going with Magnaflows too! I had them on my SC with a 2.5 inch Y-pipe and it sounded great. It also felt a little bit quicker too.
Old 09-09-10, 07:33 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

No exhaust is really going to give you any meaningful edge on N/A power. Just find one that sounds good and use it. When I put a new ultra quiet muffler on my Turbo Porsche and took off the old one that was very loud and unrestricted I noticed a significant decrease in performance. That's where the change really happens in mufflers.
Old 09-09-10, 07:38 AM
SC400-PHAE
Pole Position

I got 5zigen fireball mega's with staight pipes from the cats it sounds nice feels a little faster...
Old 09-09-10, 08:24 PM
Nick201
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by One HoT

Thanks so much for your information. I will try to look for them. Really appreciate it!!!
Old 09-09-10, 08:27 PM
Nick201
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tjfrom215
d.i.y or die, or you can order the full system Blitz offers,
its 1000 bucks though
Well, i think 1000 is too much for me. Do you know if there is any other cheaper full system that also fit sc400? Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 09-09-10, 08:28 PM
Nick201
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
I also recommend going with Magnaflows too! I had them on my SC with a 2.5 inch Y-pipe and it sounded great. It also felt a little bit quicker too.
Do you remember about how much you spent for the tatol to put on your car? Anyway, thanks!!!
Old 09-09-10, 08:30 PM
Nick201
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
No exhaust is really going to give you any meaningful edge on N/A power. Just find one that sounds good and use it. When I put a new ultra quiet muffler on my Turbo Porsche and took off the old one that was very loud and unrestricted I noticed a significant decrease in performance. That's where the change really happens in mufflers.
I am hoping after i put a full system, my car will perform faster in speed. But thanks for your information!
Old 09-09-10, 08:31 PM
Nick201
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400-PHAE
I got 5zigen fireball mega's with staight pipes from the cats it sounds nice feels a little faster...
I checked on the internet, i see it cost like around 1000 for it, way too much for me lol but thanks!!!
Old 09-09-10, 08:43 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
No exhaust is really going to give you any meaningful edge on N/A power.
+1, the majority of people installing larger exhaust will only add power up top and kill low end and mid range. All of the advertised "7 - 10 horsepower gains" are usually up top. Yes, you gain power but is it usable? Not really. Get an exhaust that sounds good, don't worry about the power increase hype. Forced induction is a different story though.
Old 05-09-17, 09:38 AM
frank22
Driver School Candidate

Default Sc400 exhaust upgrade

im looking to upgrade from a stock exhaust and am looking for a real deep loud.
Im not worried about inspection purposes but also don't want to loose a ton of power
Just want it louder and meaner sounding I guess. Any suggestions??
Old 05-09-17, 09:39 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by frank22
Im not worried about inspection purposes but also don't want to loose a ton of power
Since you stated "Any suggestion" :
The sound changes based on engine rpm and the cabin has resonant frequency. Make sure you check out the drone inside the cabin ... specially at cruising speed (rpm). Best way to do that would be to sit in a SC which has the exhaust you are considering.

Salim
Old 05-10-17, 10:28 AM
super400
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frank22
I recently just deleted my rear resonators right before the mufflers. Got me the sound I was looking for. The resonators are actually small mufflers. Sounds real good at start up and really good when you step on it but quite when crusing with no drone. Honestly the car should have come like this from the factory. It sounds more refined than a mustang or camaro but now sounds like it has some muscle. Car seems a little bit faster but that could be placebo effect. More volume and power gains can be had if you take out the center resonator as well and replace it with a x pipe. I saw a video on YouTube and if was super loud and exotic sounding. But too loud for my 5 month old in the back seat. Really looking forward to doing a BFI now and seeing if I can get some more power for little cost and maybe a little bit better mileage but I doubt it. I can't keep my foot off the gas cause I love the new sound. I'm not even listening to the radio much anymore. Lol

Quick Reply: SC400 Exhaust System