SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

AC Ice cold in the morning warm during the day

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 01:35 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC Ice cold in the morning warm during the day

So now that my SC400 is back on the road it's time to get the creature comforts in order. First is the AC.

This morning I went to work and the AC got nice and cold. It was about 80 degrees out and the AC was so cold I couldn't keep on full blast without getting too cold. Went to drive my car at lunch today, and took it for about a 20 minute drive. The AC brought the temp of the car down, but it was still warm enough for me to sweat on a 105 degree day- the interior temp was probably 85-90.

I've replaced the cabin filter- it also feels like the actual velocity of the coming out isn't as strong as it could be. I topped off the freon over the weekend, and the fact that it gets super cold in the warm morning tells me there's something else that needs to be either cleaned or replaced. Ideas?
Old 08-20-10, 01:59 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's harder to keep the a/c cool since the ambient temperature is so high when compared to the early morning.
Old 08-20-10, 02:10 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure you've already checked this Klaus, but I just wanted to mention the obvious . . . fans not set to re-circulate cabin air. I can't tell you how many times I've been sure there was a fault in my AC system, only to have it turn out to be that I bumped the button and I'm basically cooling all of the great outdoors instead of cooling the same cabin air over and over
Old 08-20-10, 02:23 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Oh haha yeah no worries man- always good to ask the simple stuff . It's set to recirc, and just to experiment I tried it recirc off and it didn't make a difference.

Yes of course the AC needs to work harder with hotter ambient air so it should take longer to cool down. But it will eventually cool down, this didn't- I mean it was actually a relieve to roll the windows down even with how hot it is. It did cool off some, but something in the system isn't working right.
Old 08-20-10, 02:32 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might check to see if the recirc door is closing as it should. if you couldn't tell a difference, it may be a faulty actuator or motor that controls the door.
Old 08-20-10, 02:34 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Hook up the gauges and check readings. Look to me like you do not have refrigerant flow
Old 08-20-10, 03:10 PM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Default De icer

On my truck the same thing would happen when the a/c was on for a while. Besides failing to cool the air, the air flow was reduced, and it got very humid inside. Try leaving the fan on for a few minutes without the a/c to see if it continues to cool the air. If it is icing up, this fan air will melt any ice, the air flow will speed up and then you can turn the a/c on again, and hopefully, enjoy the flow.

It happened mostly on very hot days. I lived with it for two years and sold the truck without ever learning how to do a permanent repair.
Old 08-20-10, 03:17 PM
Anthony85
Lead Lap

Im having the same issue with my sc. But now it seems it blowing warm all the time. But i also noticed lately that my ac light flashes and then the air suddenly gets warm. I have to press the ac button off and then turn it back on again... What do u guys think it might be... I have a feeling my compressor it taking a crap on me.
Old 08-20-10, 03:42 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Yeah there has to be a solution for this- most SCs i've been in have insanely cold AC
Old 08-20-10, 03:44 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 420 Likes on 344 Posts

Where is the recirculate button at? I don't think I've ever noticed it?
Old 08-20-10, 04:12 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

I had that problem, too. Topping off the freon didn't help either. I emptied to freon completely and then refilled it, and that did the trick. The freon in the system is probably too diluted with air from a decade or more of air slowly leaking in. Try that out. I think my Schrader valve has a slow leak, as well. So, my system eventually loses pressure.

Oh, and when I emptied it I only loosened the valve a little bit and let it evacuate until the pssst ceased so I didn't let any air back in.

Last edited by BartleDoo; 08-20-10 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-20-10, 04:28 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing you could do is spray water into the condenser from behind if you can. It should clean up any build up of leaves or debris that's built up over time. Don't think this is the absolute solution but it helps checking things that don't cost money.
Old 08-20-10, 05:17 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BenStoked
might check to see if the recirc door is closing as it should. if you couldn't tell a difference, it may be a faulty actuator or motor that controls the door.
Agreed.
Klaus, I think you should have been able to discern a difference in cooling if it was recirc'ing or not; even if you had a compromised cooling system.
Old 08-20-10, 08:53 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Your refrigerant may have been contaminated if your reading show correct pressure when A/C is on with no cool air. You should recover the old refrigerant and replace your dry/receiver. The system MUST be vacuumed out before filling it up with refrigerant.
Old 08-21-10, 07:09 AM
Klaus
Instructor

^well I'm getting cold air in the morning when it's 80s degrees. Like freezing cold air haha. But when the car has been out in the sun all day in 105* heat the air gets down to maybe 85 in the cabin of the car at best

Quick Reply: AC Ice cold in the morning warm during the day