SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

AC Ice cold in the morning warm during the day

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 05:14 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Klaus
well wouldn't the AC relay prevent it from functioning at all? Like I said I get ice cold air in the morning
the ac relay was directed at anthony 85
Old 08-25-10, 06:01 AM
boostd4
Driver

The only thing that changes with outside temperature is your CONDENSER. The first thing I would check is to make sure the fan works when the A/C is on, and that it's working at full speed. Next, make sure there is no debris blocking the fins or stuck in between. Then check to make sure the fins aren't completely smashed flat all over the place.

This problem sounds like a classic A/C fan failure, but you might have a bad condenser. You'd probaly lose freon if that were the case though..
Old 08-25-10, 06:18 AM
fuel4blood
Driver

Originally Posted by boostd4
The only thing that changes with outside temperature is your CONDENSER. The first thing I would check is to make sure the fan works when the A/C is on, and that it's working at full speed. Next, make sure there is no debris blocking the fins or stuck in between. Then check to make sure the fins aren't completely smashed flat all over the place.

This problem sounds like a classic A/C fan failure, but you might have a bad condenser. You'd probaly lose freon if that were the case though..
A bad A/C fan would cause your air to become warm when your at a stand still, example waiting at a red light. Once you start moving or crusing your air would become cold again, the natural ram air created by you moving would blow against your condensor and act as the fan would. Hence your air blowing out cold while your moving. A condensor fan only works at one speed, now your blower motor which is under your glove box works at multiple speeds. The blower motor speed is what your changing when your adjusting your ac controls.

How would a A/C fan cause you to lose freon? The only way a condensor would cause him to lose freon is if it was cracked. Once again he would have a leak and need to get it leak tested. Unless the crack was quite obvious.
Old 08-25-10, 07:23 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Inspected my condenser and it looks fine, no cracks or debris. The car is the same temp whether I'm going 10mph or 70mph. Not a bad thing to rule out though boostd4
Old 09-15-10, 11:39 PM
Luisc300
Driver School Candidate

hey Klaus, did you find the problem with the A/C? I'm having the same problem and I can assure you that is not the compressor nor the condensser, I know this because the A/C on my sc300 was working perfectly fine untill I decided to change the freon to a better one but didnt work instead im having the same problem I also tested for leaks and didnt find any.
Old 09-16-10, 12:02 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah I meant to update this.

So interesting thing I discovered. The freon recharge kit I was using from checker had me fill the freon in my system to 35-40PSI. Alright cool. Charged it up to between 30-35 as I didn't want to risk overfilling it. However the car was still not performing well and I was getting sick of it. I had loaned my kit to a buddy so went to go grab another one at autozone. Interestingly enough, on the directions it indicated that the correct PSI of your AC system depends on the outside temperature! It was 105* out, and according to the can that should take just over 50PSI. So I thought screw it, let's try it. Filled it up to 50. My AC has been ice cold all day every since. We'll see how long this lasts- going strong for a couple weeks now
Old 09-18-10, 06:18 AM
BBriBro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why they also give you the weight of freon that the system holds. If you put it in by weight, then the ambient temp doesn't matter, You don't even need gauges, except for troubleshooting. The pressure is variable, depending on many things within the system, that all have to be working properly, and as you discovered, the ambient temp. The weight is not variable, and a more accurate way of charging it, especially with a suspect system that may have other problems too, (contaminated and restricted condenser or receiver/dryer, bad compressor, faulty pressure switch, etc) Of course this is assuming the system is emptied and evacuated first.
Old 09-18-10, 07:38 AM
Driver

Ya I was going to say your AC should be ice all day every day. Ambient tempature has little to do with it. If you can tell the difference from cool to hot days then freon is in order.

Glad you found it klaus