SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Valet Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 06:36 AM
ejtsc300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valet Nightmare

Was forced to have my SC parked via valet the other day. Returning to my car, I found the inside door release (not the arm, the actual handle used to open the door from the inside) completely broke off.

Nice huh ? Well I have to get an estimate done, then fight the parking company for reimbursement. Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has any insight on what this will cost to get replaced. No normal body shop will take it -- all say I must go to the dealer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-02, 08:32 AM
krypto
Driver

had a simular problem once...did you by any chance report this to anyone at the time it happened? To the valet company? or the police?

I learned the hard way....don't drive off and think calling tomorrow will work, didn't for me....lost front tag, my putter, pair of revos....If I had only known which valet it was, the world would have one less thief...

I have never used a valet since...Good luck.......
Old 07-11-02, 08:52 AM
mor-power
Rookie

ejtsc300,

I broke my door handle once. I had the dealer replaced it for $170 (didn't know any better back then when I had no knowledge of this forum). I reccommend replacing it yourself. Just get the part from the dealer and do your own installation.

* removing the door panel

1. 3 bolts at the bottom
2. 2 bolts in front panel (under the plastic buttoms)
3. 1 behind black plastic piece where your broken handle is
4. Pull it off...

Goodluck
Old 07-11-02, 09:24 AM
akmpres
Pole Position

ejtsc300 where did it happen? at a country club or a resturant, PA or NY
Old 07-11-02, 10:04 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

only problem i usually have when i valet my car is that they rev my car like it's theirs...
Old 07-11-02, 10:46 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Glad to hear that's your only problem...

...but you're pushing your luck if you use valets a lot in LA. From March 2002:

"PARANOIA REWARDED Fantastic KCBS expose on valet parking in Los Angeles catches attendants at premiere L.A. institutions - Spago, Shutters, Crustacean, The Sunset Room - stealing everything from pocket change to dollarinis from cars they're parking. Hidden camera video shows valets rummaging through consoles, glove compartments, back seats looking for green. Story reported one valet going up for grand theft after stealing $7000 from one car. Don't ask who'd be carrying that much cash in their ride, but no mind. This is why I park on the street."
Old 07-11-02, 10:47 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HELL NO am i EVER going to let some valet guy touch my car. i'd rather park 3 blocks and walk than have some retard rev my car like crazy and drive like there's no tomorrow. plus, if they crack my body kit, i'm gonna have to go postal. i don't think the valet company will shell out a couple of grand for my kit
Old 07-11-02, 11:14 AM
Onelove
Lead Lap

I've been lucky, I love vallet and usually tip the hell out of the guys just so that type of **** doesn't happen. Lately I've been even luckier though as my car is usually out front most of the places I go (guess the Z3s have that effect )
Old 07-11-02, 11:34 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Default "over-tip" so he won't steal your stuff? either way, you're being robbed!

Don't you tip the guy AFTER he has parked and retrieved your car? What good is over-tipping at that point? Whatever he got from you is already in his pocket. Well, except for the large tip you are about to give him.

Hard to imagine a corrupt valet saying "well, I've pilfered through the past 20 cars, but I'll leave this guy's stuff alone because he is going to give me a big tip".

I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and I can understand Florida's love affair with valet-parking- anything to maximize the time you spend in air-conditioned splendor!
Old 07-11-02, 11:59 AM
krypto
Driver

I think some of you guys are nuts....I've had friends that where pro valets for years and years ....some of the best places on earth...(ie breakers) ...and all they do is talk about how different cars perform...(f40's lambos) .How do they know that? hmmm......remember most of them are unsupervised at least partially...

please bros trust me...if you think that 16 year old pimply punk *** valet is not having the most fun he can with your highly valued car....your sadly mistaken...I dont care what u tip...that doesn't mean jack..they dont know what you're gonna tip when they first get your car....Would you at 16 not at least rev up a Ferrari?......

above post is dead on.....walk.........it's worth it......if you haven't been fuc*&%ed by a valet you've been lucky thats all....or you haven't noticed the damage, yet.......
Old 07-11-02, 01:09 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

I always park in the valet section, but I park it myself right in front and keep my keys and give the valet guy 10-20$ depending where I am at. I do this casue I know my car is right in front where people can see it and I have my keys so no one really can go through it.
Old 07-11-02, 01:49 PM
screwj
Driver School Candidate

Default Valet

I was a Valet at an upscale hotel in Portland, OR for nearly a year. As a whole, valet's aren't bad. I really think it depends on the quality of the place. It is always a good idea to tip half of what you intend to tip up front because often tips aren't pooled and the guy who parks your car gets nothing. Valets are notorious talkers too. If you are a repeat customer to a place that valet parks and develop a reputation as a decent person, how much you tip matters very little, and both you and your car will be treated with respect. I personally never took anything from a car and know of know one who did while I was there. However, I do not doubt that it may have happened. I think that thieving falls on the culture of the establishment offering the service. It was made very clear that stealing would not be tolerated where I worked. These places that make the news in major stings should really look closely at their leadership.

Cody

Last edited by screwj; 07-11-02 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-11-02, 02:43 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Cody, your points are well-taken but the bottom line is that you are exposing your car and possessions to significant risks when you use a valet.

It may be different in Oregon, but in L.A., even the classiest venues don't run their own valet operations- they are contracted out to specialty valet companies, the largest of which is "Chuck's Parking". If you want to make any claim against the valet, the venue doesn't want to hear it- they'll send you to Chuck.

I'm certain some or most valets are as responsible as you were that summer. Unfortunately, you don't get to choose who parks your car when you pull up to the curb. And I don't see the practicality of continuously patronizing an establishment to "develop a reputation", just to earn enough "respect" so that they don't go through your possessions.

And never mind the possessions- how about the car itself? Valets are always in a hurry- your car is started and driven away before the low oil pressure light goes off. About to finish backing up and need to switch from Reverse to Drive? Don't brake- just put 'er in Drive and hit the gas ! And what about door dings- one of the reasons they use valets is to cram more cars in limited space, so if you don't get a ding, your door probably created one on another car.

See Aznteazer's comment above: "only problem i usually have when i valet my car is that they rev my car like it's theirs...". Actually, the problem is valets know your car isn't theirs, so they treat it like some of us treat rental cars.

krypto is right- if you valet often enough, chances are your car has already been violated or damaged- you just don't know it yet.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 07-11-02 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-11-02, 06:02 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very well said perry, excellent!
Old 07-11-02, 08:55 PM
akmpres
Pole Position

Default NYC VALET AND DOORMAN parking

I've lived in the city for a long time, and in my bulding the doorman usally takes the car down to the garage for me and the other tennants, and where i park my car downtown the garage guy parks it,. i give these city guys credit, they cram my acura next to a bentley and a porsche GT3 and and none ever get dinged, i can speak for those cars because the owner is my neighbor, he said he has been in the city for 45 years and never has anybody in manhattan ever dinged his car parking it, i guess he has been lucky, so have I, i noticed some of you guys say you park on the street, dont people out there in cali hit ur bumper when they park, i leave my ES300 on the street, its been broken into like 3 times, completly beat to crap, and it only has 50000 miles on it.

sorry for bad spelling and grammer

Quick Reply: Valet Nightmare