SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

For those with a carPC in their SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-10, 08:18 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For those with a carPC in their SC

I purchased a carPC system from a member on here who had it in his SC. It includes the Centrafuse 3 program, a 7" touchscreen, HP small from-factor PC running Win7 and some other misc things like a USB GPS and USB external sound-card. Right now I'm in the process of researching the whole car PC thing on mp3car so I can install this badboy myself (I got an installation quote for $700, so forget that!). I still need a PSU; I'm looking at the Carnetix P2140 (as well as a 5-channel amp, some misc wiring, and a mic, etc).
When all installed I'm looking to be able to have: Bluetooth integration with my iPhone which will allow me to do voice-calling, text-to-speech, play my phones playlist, internet tethering so I'll have full internet access in my car, email, weather, navigation, satellite radio, etc, etc. Basically what all the new cars have these days, plus some more goodies.

Anyways, my question to those who already have a carPC in their SC is, where do you guys have everything installed? Where did you install the PSU, CPU, GPS, mic, etc? Under the seat? Trunk? Glove box?
I'm thinking of installing the PSU and CPU in the trunk, somewhere in the stock cd player area. GPS on the dash or front of rear-view, and the mic in the A-pillar. I want everything as stock looking as possible. But I'm looking for idea's that I havent yet thought of that may be more practical.

Once I get everything up and running (hopefully sometime in Sept cuz tuition took all my money right now ) I'll post up pics and a vid of it all working!

Last edited by scENFORCER; 08-16-10 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-16-10, 10:35 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Looks like I'm the only one who can really speak on this matter since I'm one of the few who have this....haha. Just check out my thread in my sig and go back a few pages from the end to see some info on my carpc install. I placed my motherboard underneath the passenger seat and my gps receiver on top of my rear deck next to one of the rear speakers (you should be able to see it in one of my pics in there). Also search "carpc" or "carputer" here in the SC section and you will find other threads on a few others who have done this in the past (one guy comes to mind right now...I believe his username is ponyboy???). Goodluck and be ready to be real patient as this took me almost 6 months to get it running perfect. Oh and you will love centrafuse 3....it's amazing!!!
Old 08-16-10, 11:23 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

^ yea I already know what you mean about patience. I've already had problems with almost every feature in Centrafuse while just running the system in my room. Right now I'm having trouble connecting my iPhone to the computer via Bluetooth cuz it can't find a 'peripheral device driver' or something. And I'm sure once I figure that out I'll have more problems getting voice-calling or text-to-speech features to work lol.
But thanx for the link, I'll definatly check it out! Didn't think of installing the GPS in the rear..
Old 08-17-10, 07:24 AM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on going this route also. I was initially going to mount in trunk until I found a very nice double din all in one, kinda like P.R.S. The one I am looking at is has all HW wraped in one, and I will be feeding data cables into glove box, or center console for updates and quick connects. (Dash unit also has usb in front also.
Unit:http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...Code=ccc%2D130

As for mounting though, I think under a seat might be great. If there is a floor vent there, maybe route some cooling for your MB. Well, if I think of anything, I will post it up.

GL with project, keep us updated. BTW, any pics of your setup, with info?
Old 08-17-10, 02:21 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Havent seen that unit before, looks pretty good. Only thing I wanted was NO BUTTONS anywhere on the headunit. Wanted it all touchscreen and OEM looking. Does it just run an OS and you have to install front-end software yourself?

I'll post a build thread once I get all my parts in.
Old 08-17-10, 06:08 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

this is going to be a sick build...let the modding begin
Old 08-17-10, 06:14 PM
rpk2012
Pole Position

The unit is avail with an OS, or without. They also have nav and other carputer software avail, but you may order it barebones all together. Its nice to have a touchscreen only, but IMO to be touching it to change volume all the time would be a huge hastle, and put wear on the screen.

An idea I have for you, maybe you cam integrate the stock volume **** in-line to control volume through the outputs?
Old 08-17-10, 07:48 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Bookmarked to read. I have big plans for my car PC.
Old 08-17-10, 07:56 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rpk2012
The unit is avail with an OS, or without. They also have nav and other carputer software avail, but you may order it barebones all together. Its nice to have a touchscreen only, but IMO to be touching it to change volume all the time would be a huge hastle, and put wear on the screen.

An idea I have for you, maybe you cam integrate the stock volume **** in-line to control volume through the outputs?
May I suggest Centrafuse in that case for a front-end software. Its an open source program which means you can change basically anything about it, not to mention all the user created plug-in's already available for download.

The volume-**** idea definatly ran through my head. I'm still a newb to all this but I've been on mp3car constantly over the past 2 weeks, and I've learned a lot. This will have to be something else I look up and see if I can do. Cuz your right, changing the volume on a touchscreen sucks!
Has anyone done this on a regular double-din?
Old 08-17-10, 08:08 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

The GPS receiver in the rear deck is the best location because it will always have a direct line to the sky at all times and honestly I don't even see mine anymore and the receiver is yellow...haha. Also it's best to place the motherboard underneath the passenger seat because there is already an existing ac vent going to the exact location where you will place it so it won't ever overheat.

My roomate was also able to give me an extended USB port that I mounted right next to the driver seat belt return (where you see your cup holder, its right on the side of that). Everyone tells me it looks OEM and you can't see any of the wire running from the USB to the mb underneath the passenger seat.