SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Any advice on how to improve the stock tail lights?Tint, smoke or Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 08:10 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Any advice on how to improve the stock tail lights?Tint, smoke or Paint?

Hey guys,

Now that I have my car fixed I would like to start improving on the looks and maybe the performance.

I really do not care for the stock tail lights on my 93 sc400.

I dont like the color red as it goes with absolutely nothing else on the car.

I have heard the trick about putting them in the oven to split them apart but I do not really want to go that route.

Has anyone here had any luck with painting or tinting the lights?

I tried the search funtions but to be honest it is rarely of any help for some reason---hardly any relevant threads ever come back.

I think since they are already a fairly dark color the only option is to go darker-----I wouldnt mind to tint them or smoke them as long as I knew the proper way to do so.

Idealy i would love to have some clear lights at the back--any way to achieve that?

If I knew where to purchase some for a reasonable price i would consider that option as well.

Thanks in advance guys!!!!!
Old 08-13-10, 08:23 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I would leave them factory. There are plenty of other things you can do before messing with lights.
Old 08-13-10, 08:42 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

I blacked out my factory 93's but left the reverse lights clear and added blue LED's to the reverse light. It looks amazing and I get comments all of the time. I need to find some pictures. I paid $100 at a bodyshop to get them done. I will recommend that you either buy brighter bulbs or LED bulbs from Superbrightleds.com so that you don't get rear ended or harassed by police.

Also, if you have chrome emblems(the body shop gave them to me for free), it will look AMAZING in person. It gives the car a really cool look assuming your car is black or another dark color. Everybody likes these tails more than my 98 tails or even the 95's.
Attached Thumbnails Any advice on how to improve the stock tail lights?Tint, smoke or Paint?-100_1188.jpg   Any advice on how to improve the stock tail lights?Tint, smoke or Paint?-100_1187.jpg   Any advice on how to improve the stock tail lights?Tint, smoke or Paint?-img_1621.jpg   Any advice on how to improve the stock tail lights?Tint, smoke or Paint?-img_1622.jpg   Any advice on how to improve the stock tail lights?Tint, smoke or Paint?-img_1623.jpg  

Old 08-13-10, 08:55 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Krax Those lights really do look great.

Your car looks immaculate--I love it.

That is exactly what im talking about.

Were they painted?

Tinted in some way?

Smoked?

I am great with working with paints and finishing---i just want to get opinions before I do anything.

And 3rotor I already have 20 inch chromes and i am going to get the windows tinted.

The lights are my next step----rear ones in particular--i have no issues with the fronts aside from the fact that my left one has yellowed from the inside---guess i will have to use the oven trick on that one.

And no my car is not dark color it is that metallic gold that comes stock from factory---do u think the dark lights will suit it?

Has to be better than stock anyways.

Also so i am thinking about taking off the spoiler on my car--the car needs to be painted anyways and has a few dings already-----what do you guys think of that----I like the look of these cars without the spoiler---seems sleeker and smoother.
Old 08-13-10, 08:58 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For being a lighter colored car I don't think the blacked out lights would work very well; that's me though.
Old 08-13-10, 09:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

I can see where your coming from on that 3rotor.

I am having the same concerns.

But the fact is I really want to do something with them for the time being.

When the time is right i will start dumping money into the car and getting new parts and whatnot----for now i am holding onto my money and trying to do the best i can in the meantime.
Old 08-18-10, 12:43 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Krax Those lights really do look great.

Your car looks immaculate--I love it.

That is exactly what im talking about.

Were they painted?

Tinted in some way?

Smoked?

I am great with working with paints and finishing---i just want to get opinions before I do anything.

And 3rotor I already have 20 inch chromes and i am going to get the windows tinted.

The lights are my next step----rear ones in particular--i have no issues with the fronts aside from the fact that my left one has yellowed from the inside---guess i will have to use the oven trick on that one.

And no my car is not dark color it is that metallic gold that comes stock from factory---do u think the dark lights will suit it?

Has to be better than stock anyways.

Also so i am thinking about taking off the spoiler on my car--the car needs to be painted anyways and has a few dings already-----what do you guys think of that----I like the look of these cars without the spoiler---seems sleeker and smoother.
Sorry for the late response. I had them painted at a local body shop that paints headlights and taillights for a lot of cars around here. They charged me $100 and threw in the chrome emblems for free. They used actual paint to get them dark since tint only works good on glass. Vinyl also works great as it's removable. Contact a few local body shops and ask them if they can do it. Pay no more than $100 to get them painted. Be very careful if you do them yourself since I've seen a lot of people mess up their lights.

Thank you for the compliment! The paint looks good but it's not as nice as most people give me credit for. I just wash it a lot. My glossy black tails and new chrome emblems make my paint look way better than it really is.

For the spoiler-less look, it only looks good on certain colors and years. Gold MIGHT be able to pull it off, but I would leave the spoiler on. Black, red, jade green, and platinum silver can pull it off on both the pre-97 and 97+ bodies in my opinion. White, gold, and blue need the spoilers if you don't have the right body kit or taillight combination.

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
For being a lighter colored car I don't think the blacked out lights would work very well; that's me though.
I agree. It depends on the car and what the theme of the car is, but it's harder for a lot of lighter colors to pull it off.
Old 08-18-10, 02:23 AM
saurah
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I searched the stickied merged DIY thread at the top of this forum, as well as searching "smoked tail light". Heres a little bit to start you off. Try searching "blacked out tail light" "clear tail light" "red tail light" things of that nature. Mix up the spelling, maybe someone spelt tail light, taillight. You never know. You have to brain storm to search effectively.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...hts-sorta.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...il-lights.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ails-pics.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...r-the-scs.html (You can find those on Ebay if they tickle your fancy)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-honestly.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...uys-think.html

Goodluck!
Old 08-18-10, 11:02 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Guys thanks for the help and advice as always.

I think I am going to go the nightshade way or maybe the vinyl.

I think with tinted windows the tinted lights will work.

Ill try to post some pics when im done.

Thanks again