SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

97 SC300 Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 07:07 PM
MichaelH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 SC300 Please help

Alright guys, i know you all get very sick of answering the same redundant questions over and over again, but....I have one

Ok so I have a 1997 SC300 auto, and I am having the o' so common overdrive problem and just thought I'd get some advice.

My car will not go into over drive at all, but all other gears work great. When going down the highway every once in a while it will try to go into overdrive but will down shift right back to third, never fully engaging into overdrive. My overdrive light turns on and off like it's supposed to when you press the button, but it never changes anything. My engine temps are normal so i know it's not the temp sensor. Do you all think it would be the ECU or something different?

Next, it's not a big deal to me but i dont get it. The tail lamp out indicator on the cluster stays on but both of my tail lamps are in working order, any thoughts?

Once again I apologize for the redundancy of this thread. I just can't figure out what is going on. Thank you gents.
Old 07-25-10, 07:19 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Automatic transmissions are hard to diagnose without special tools or machines. I'm not too familiar with our auto transmissions, but it should be similar to others out there. Physically it could be a spool valve not engaging properly in the valve body of the trans; electrically, it could be a number of sensors. No check engine light or any sort of indication lights on the dash, other than the one for the lights?

Quite honestly if this was a common problem and someone has a simple fix, hopefully they will chime in. Other than that, your best bet is to take it and have it checked out.

On your "lamp out" indicator, you may want to double check the bulbs. Sometimes the same bulbs on both sides could go out at the same time causing the illusion that they are working properly since they both sides look the same; even though the same bulbs are out.
Old 07-25-10, 07:45 PM
MichaelH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Automatic transmissions are hard to diagnose without special tools or machines. I'm not too familiar with our auto transmissions, but it should be similar to others out there. Physically it could be a spool valve not engaging properly in the valve body of the trans; electrically, it could be a number of sensors. No check engine light or any sort of indication lights on the dash, other than the one for the lights?

Quite honestly if this was a common problem and someone has a simple fix, hopefully they will chime in. Other than that, your best bet is to take it and have it checked out.

On your "lamp out" indicator, you may want to double check the bulbs. Sometimes the same bulbs on both sides could go out at the same time causing the illusion that they are working properly since they both sides look the same; even though the same bulbs are out.
Correct, no check engine light, only light aside from the tail lamp indicator is the air bag. Also on factory SC300 tail lights you are only supposed to have one tail lamp and each side right? The bulbs on the far side of each housing work, are there supposed to be tail lights on the inside ones? I thoughts those were just for brakes.
Old 07-26-10, 11:06 AM
MichaelH
Driver School Candidate

bump, anyone know?
Old 07-26-10, 12:01 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have brakes, driving, turn signals, reverse lights etc... I think if you go through them you will find one that is bad... May need someone to stand behind the vehicle at night

Jonny
Old 07-26-10, 07:47 PM
tigre77
Driver School Candidate

i would check the ecu i had something like that happen to my sc and it was a bad ecu.