SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

$$$$How easy are these SC's to get stolen$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 09:09 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Klaus, they can jack up the front wheels with a mini trolley kind of thing and then roll the car up the flatbed. I've seen it done before(illegally parked car, they were not stealing lol), and they can also tow cars away that are parallel parked. Those experienced to truck guys can get cars out of all sorts of weird angles. They are trained against the people who clock the steering wheel all the way over. Just make sure that GPS is up to snuff and you should be good.
Old 06-30-10, 09:24 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Klaus, they can jack up the front wheels with a mini trolley kind of thing and then roll the car up the flatbed. I've seen it done before(illegally parked car, they were not stealing lol), and they can also tow cars away that are parallel parked. Those experienced to truck guys can get cars out of all sorts of weird angles. They are trained against the people who clock the steering wheel all the way over. Just make sure that GPS is up to snuff and you should be good.
Agreed- and like has been mentioned any theif that wants a car will get it with enough time. However the more complicated you make it, the longer it will take them, and the faster your response time can be. I almost forgot there is a tilt sensor as well that's hooked up to the silent alarm GPS system. The GPS is slick- I get a "everything is okay alarm" every morning from it . That way if I don't get a notification I know there's a malfunction somewhere.
Old 06-30-10, 09:28 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It sucks that we have to worry about this crap. Those low lifes need to get real jobs instead of stealing other peoples stuff. Luckily I'm fortunate enough to have a very big garage and I can park my cars inside at night.
Old 06-30-10, 09:37 AM
Klaus
Instructor

As long as your garage doesn't have windows...

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=CMz1tXBVT1s

Mine doesn't' have windows, but just in case after watching this I rigged up a little something that will make this impossible!

Am I somewhat paranoid about security? Sure. Do I HATE getting things stolen from me that I've worked hard to get? Absolutely.
Old 06-30-10, 10:25 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 443 Likes on 365 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Klaus
Good luck stealing my supra. First off when I park in a public place I turn my steering wheel all the way to the right or left, then pull my key out, turn the wheel a little, and lock my steering column. Have fun trying to get that on a tow truck. I wont go into all the details of my alarm, but when you come up on my car, everything is dead and there are several redundant kill switches.

There are only three systems that have power and you'll never know it. Two of them are there to detect if someone has entered the car, the 3rd activates my GPS tracker and sends an immediate message to my cell phone with what was triggered. It is a silent alarm, but I can activate it remotely if I don't think I can get to the car in time.

Also if you do manage to get the car on a flatbed, or if you manage to get the car up in running in the 20+ minutes it will take you due to all the redudancies I will know exactly where the car is going through the GPS tracking. And not it's no lojack which is a peice of crap radio tracker.

So don't **** with a supra . The whole system ran me around $500 for everything, and I pay a small monthly fee for the tracking service. So how hard a car is to steal is entirely dependent on how hard you make it to steal.

And most importantly- install your security yourself!! Have some patience and take the time to do it right. Don't do it by the book, the more "custom" and unique your alarm is the harder it will be to disable
Not to sound like I want to steal your Supra, but what kind of car alarm do you have? I was looking at getting a Viper alarm, but if there is a better brand or something out there, I'd like to know. I saw that you could get tiltsensors and other stuff like that added to it, but it costs a lot more.
Old 06-30-10, 10:37 AM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
Not to sound like I want to steal your Supra, but what kind of car alarm do you have? I was looking at getting a Viper alarm, but if there is a better brand or something out there, I'd like to know. I saw that you could get tiltsensors and other stuff like that added to it, but it costs a lot more.
i've got a viper 5901 2 way installed by myself...and a couple of other switches here and there, and my handgun... lol...but yeah you can go to viper.com and they have all the accessories for it window break sensor, extra speakers with hidden batteries if the try that route, tilt sensors....etc... you get the point...
Old 06-30-10, 10:59 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One day when I'm getting a MKIV, I'm doing a similar setup to Klaus
Old 06-30-10, 12:07 PM
Klaus
Instructor

The GPS unit is a Clifford 210c. Viper has one that is the 210v. It's all DEI. Everything else... well if I told you... I did a TON of research before doing all of this.