SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

e-brake dragging. help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 04:41 AM
kanukem
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy e-brake dragging. help please

hey everybody, hope everyone is having a great memorial day weekend.

I just replaced my e-brake shoes on my 300, but they seem to be dragging.i noticed this as i was changing the brakes when i placed the rotors on to check for free-rotation/clearance. while hand turning the hub, i was met with resistance, this is odd seeing as how the rotor is supposed to move freely. I followed the instructions carefully and have disassembled each side at least twice to try and figure out the problem. my hands hurt, anyone who has done this knows what i'm talking about.

anyways, with the rotors off, the hub spins freely. the e-brake is down, and the adjuster at the shoes themselves is loosened to the max (the nut is fully seated and does not push the shoes out). i see no bent pins and the springs are exactly the same as before. i did not encounter resistance with the old shoes. i've even went as far as to adjust the ebrake lever in hopes that it would solve my problem. i'm going insane, its eating the inside of my brand new rotors =[. i've tried bedding them and seating them but as i drop the lever, i hear a faint screeching at 30mph (it is not a wheel bearing issue)

desperate for help, any ideas? i apologize for the lengthy summary.

Last edited by kanukem; 05-31-10 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-31-10, 10:07 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Dunno....Sounds like you've covered a lot of the more obvious issues. I'm wondering if these are the correct parts. Are they factory or aftermarket?...also, are your rotors factory or after market? Maybe there's some issues there

One last thought though...as a test, maybe you could try disconnecting the cable from the hand brake lever entirely just to ensure that it's not applying ANY tension to the shoes.
Old 05-31-10, 10:28 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look at the hand lever as well.

Someone probably adjusted your hand lever tight at some point.
Old 05-31-10, 05:50 PM
ProjectSC3
Driver School Candidate

You covered what i would have checked. Mine were draging too because i cheaped out and didn't buy the hardware kit at first. Learned my lesson. Maybe some pictures so we can see what your working with?
Old 06-02-10, 11:46 AM
kanukem
Rookie

thanks guys, i tried adjusting the brake inside the cabin and still no luck. i broke down and took it to a mechanic. still pending on what was wrong with it. he told me after an inspection and disassembly, he still didn't see anything wrong with it. maybe i'm psychosomatic?