SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What is happening to our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 09:14 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGCTY

I fail to see how someone elses mod(s) ruins my joy of ownership. It's just a d@mn car, Jesus Christ/Humdi/Lila/Allah/Jehova/Yahweh/Dios/Ma'at/Jah Rastafara people it's not that deep.
Your right it is just a car, but alot of people have pride in their ownership. I grew up with Toyota/Lexus in my family. Dabbled in Benz/BMW/Honda myself as well. However my family has always been Toyota and Lexus customers. I have always been faithful to Lexus and will continue to buy them. All my life I ridden in ES to a GS to a LS to a IS and now my SC is the only one Im keeping.

I like driving cars that are hardly seen on the road that look great when modded correctly. If everyone has the same car and I see it everyday it makes me bored. Uniqueness the car is an extention of myself and im not the normal guy that just picks whats HOT this year.

I see like maybe 1 stock SCx00 a day. Hardly ever a modded one. But I can count IS,GS,Honda,Acura,Nissan,Mazda 20+ a day of the same model.

Last edited by eliteskill; 05-25-10 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-25-10, 09:20 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eliteskill
Your right it is just a car, but alot of people have pride in their ownership. I grew up with Toyota/Lexus in my family. Dabbled in Benz/BMW/Honda myself as well. However my family has always been Toyota and Lexus customers. I have always been faithful to Lexus and will continue to buy them. All my life I ridden in ES to a GS to a LS to a IS and now my SC is the only one Im keeping.

I like driving cars that are hardly seen on the road that look great when modded correctly. If everyone has the same car that is seen everyday it makes me bored. Uniqueness the car is an extention of myself and im not the normal guy that just picks whats HOT this year.
Point well taken. I think the other other variable to be considered is where in the world you are. I think in CA, FL, TX and a few other places you are going to see more of these cars on the road...and more of them modded to a point where someone will dislike them. In the area of VA I'm in (VA Beach) I rarely see any SC's much less modded ones. I've seen a few with huge wheels, and MANY is various states of disrepair. That actually annoys me more than one thats modded. Hell, there is someone in another post that has the NERVE to have 20" wheels on his car but the paint is peeling on the hood. As that one thread pointed out, To hell with mods....

Last edited by BIGCTY; 05-25-10 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-25-10, 09:29 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree 100% The car is cheap to buy (wished it was kept high). When I was looking for my first SC 6 years ago the range was (6k-10k) We all must remember tho it is NOT CHEAP to build. Let them pick the cars up for cheap as when they figure out its not your normal HONDA you can build for $5k and be done. They sell and look for something cheaper.

I agree man, There has been so many threads poping up in a past few months of people saying "Should i trade my SC for ______" and it is always a civic or something....

Let people pick up the SC, rice them out, and sell them for really cheap.

I really dont mean to toot my own horn here, but Everytime I drive into a car meet, people stop and stare. Im sure the Other cleanly moded SC's in here can relate, People dont know how to react. These cars , when done right, are show stoppers. Everytime i went to a meet with my old setup pictured in my sig, People would all stop what they were doing and come see what was going on with my SC. I can only imagen what it will be like with all the new stuff im doing. These cars are timeless. I have never once been called a ricer, or street racer. all i get are stares of approval as well as good comments. People who do their SC right will also recive the same. The people who rice them out Wont. they will get made fun of.
And for some reason, when people hear its a lexus, they automaticly hold it to a higher standered.

My wifes 240 for example. its KA-t, 18 psi, running crazy low offest wheels and wide body. with a clean paint job. Her car is the whole package. People Admire it. The sterotypical ricer car of our age and she has taken it to a new level where people respect it. BUT it took a ton of money and clean mods to make it happen. Where as with the SC, its a stock 97 body with wheels and lowed.... nothing special at all.. Yet as soon as people here its a lexus is automaticly awesome.

PS, spelling ****'s can Sit on it and Spin because i seriously dont care. My miss-spelled words still get my point across
Old 05-25-10, 09:30 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

It gives me motivation to mod my SC properly.
Old 05-25-10, 09:35 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
PS, spelling ****'s can Sit on it and Spin because i seriously dont care. My miss-spelled words still get my point across
I can respect someone who points it out themselves
Old 05-25-10, 09:36 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

I still have mad respect for properly modded Hondas (cars in general). Im still in love with 2000 Civic EK Hatches Championship White with Type R Interior. I have seen VIP'd Camrys that was so sick looked like a luxury car from 2010.

"Properly" is also in the eye of the beholder. =)

I spell horrible also =P I believe as long as you get your point across your fine
Old 05-25-10, 09:36 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BIGCTY
I can respect someone who points it out themselves
lol thanks man, im Deslexic to all hell and back. Strugled with it all my life. and in a debait on the internet it uselly comes down to the only thing the other person has to come back at me with. lol
Old 05-25-10, 09:40 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

I still have mad respect for properly modded Hondas (cars in general). Im still in love with 2000 Civic EK Hatches Championship White with Type R Interior. I have seen VIP'd Camrys that was so sick looked like a luxury car from 2010.

SO true, some of these civics that are poping up with mirror like paint and flush fitment are perfect. Every car has the potental to be something glorious. however you will always have the die hard 1990's car tuners that still think huge wings are awesome. and the people that buy a body kit but can afford to paint it. Its just going to happen. Unfortunetly the SC has now come down enough in price that we will start seeing more and more SC's done like this. It will just make it that much more awe-inspiring when you see one done perfectly
Old 05-25-10, 09:41 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Seems everytime I come on here there is a newer way to ruin the style/class of our cars with more and more hideous "mods." While everyone is entitled to do with their cars as they please, they are in turn ruining the joy of ownership for everyone else. I almost wish the prices of these cars would have stayed up high...

Crown Royal shift boots, home made painted valve covers with tri-color engine bays, what's next I guess I should just get another LS and leave the SC's for the young uns...

/end rant.
Jonny
I have seen and participated in other threads along this same subject line. While I do most definitely agree that many of the older SC's are being "modded" in styles that I consider to be poor taste, or boy-racerish, I do agree that people are entitled to do whatever they want to their cars....Even if it comes out ridiculously awful. I know this, my car is not like those, and never will be. So, in most cases, the changes I have seen done are so out of sync with the original lines of the car that the cars almost cease to even look like a Lexus, or to drive like one. Many owners shave their emblems as well, so that makes the car even less recognizable. So, I am ok with that, as the car, IMO, has basically been removed from the Lexus family gene pool, because there is so little Lexus left, it is basically not a Lexus anymore.

I hope the value of the car starts to rise back up, as this coupe was an Icon in technology, forethought and design when it was first introduced. And, IMO, it still is....

I do not intend any conceit by this, but I do not concern myself anymore with all the strange and tasteless (IMHO) "modding" being done out there, because my car is nothing like those, and it speaks for itself. It will never be compared to that type of modding because they truly are in different leagues.

Originally Posted by MindCruzr
its simple... you mod a Lexus like a Lexus... The SC's are getting cheaper and people are seeing Soarers/SC's drifting on TV and want it for that, not for what the car really is... I bought the car because it is a quality executive grand tourer/ sports(ish) car... I wish people would realize what the SC is and not all jump on the drifting bandwagon
I understand why people select the 240 SX as a drifter platform, but for the life of me, why do they select the SC/Soarer? It is not even close to ideal for drifting. Most of those guys will not be winning many races.....There are far better drift cars to select out there.

Originally Posted by Net
certain people worry too much about what [other] people think about their car.
I don't!! I do have a sense of pride about my cars, though.

I like driving cars that are hardly seen on the road that look great when modded correctly. If everyone has the same car and I see it everyday it makes me bored. Uniqueness the car is an extention of myself and im not the normal guy that just picks whats HOT this year.

I see like maybe 1 stock SCx00 a day. Hardly ever a modded one. But I can count IS,GS,Honda,Acura,Nissan,Mazda 20+ a day of the same model.
Agreed. And I live in the metro Orlando area, and I am on the road all of the time. I hardly even see any SC's on the road....Modded, or not. It is becoming rare, and I do like that.

Ryan
Old 05-25-10, 09:43 AM
1JZ/240sx
Pole Position

the problem with alot of Supra & SC owners...
Is everyone does the same mods
And very few, do anything extreme and push the envelope with them.
And that ladies and gentlemen is what we call a cookie cutter car.

Grant (JDMmuscle) is a prime example of "tasteful", "clean", "subtle", or whatever term you choose.

Attractive wheels that fit
a proper ride height
and little personal touches that bring it to life

I swear all people do on this website is **** and moan about what other people do to their cars.
And IF those sour puss's even have an SC... it's stock or distastefully modded.

Seriously keep it to yourself, this is supposed to be a forum.

Last edited by 1JZ/240sx; 05-25-10 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-25-10, 09:45 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

JDM.....DITTO!!

Ryan

Originally Posted by JDMmuscle
I agree man, There has been so many threads poping up in a past few months of people saying "Should i trade my SC for ______" and it is always a civic or something....

Let people pick up the SC, rice them out, and sell them for really cheap.

I really dont mean to toot my own horn here, but Everytime I drive into a car meet, people stop and stare. Im sure the Other cleanly moded SC's in here can relate, People dont know how to react. These cars , when done right, are show stoppers. Everytime i went to a meet with my old setup pictured in my sig, People would all stop what they were doing and come see what was going on with my SC. I can only imagen what it will be like with all the new stuff im doing. These cars are timeless. I have never once been called a ricer, or street racer. all i get are stares of approval as well as good comments. People who do their SC right will also recive the same. The people who rice them out Wont. they will get made fun of.
And for some reason, when people hear its a lexus, they automaticly hold it to a higher standered.

My wifes 240 for example. its KA-t, 18 psi, running crazy low offest wheels and wide body. with a clean paint job. Her car is the whole package. People Admire it. The sterotypical ricer car of our age and she has taken it to a new level where people respect it. BUT it took a ton of money and clean mods to make it happen. Where as with the SC, its a stock 97 body with wheels and lowed.... nothing special at all.. Yet as soon as people here its a lexus is automaticly awesome.

Old 05-25-10, 09:45 AM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with both sides.......

I agree that the "riceyNess" of the todays SC's are becomming more and more and its actually stupid IMO, its a Lexus not a Honda, Luxury not mediocre. When people are swapping out their Luxurious woodgrain for Carbon Fiber......really???? C'mon people, its a lexus! I see the no reason in making this car whats its not. In Japan this car is well respected and known around the streets as a bad **** because the JZ under the hood. Here in the states its the same way, its respected...............dont tarnish the respect of the car for a simple DIY mod.....

BUT!!

i also agree that its stupid to judge the SC group as a whole when its just a few bad apples....... I still see respectful cars on here and will continue to come here, when the few bad apples pop up, i just look the other way and dont even click or comment. When something is done that deserves respect, thats when i give it and i believe it should always be like that. But in the same concept you need to give respect to get it, i give credit where credit is due. You do a good job on the car, create beast out of a simple Lexus. Or even for show with wheels, tint, suspension, and a kit.....thats still credible

either way im still going to do my own thing and be myself.....whos with me?
Old 05-25-10, 09:48 AM
scviolence
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im going to pep boys today to pick up my new aluminum spoiler,type r racing floormats, stick on side vents, every motherlovin led light i can find and 4 underglow tubes for my ride and ima ziptie all that ***** on lol....<---THIS GUY CAN NOT WAIT!!!....OH YEAH AND SOME CARBON FIBER STICKER PAPER SO I CAN WRAP MY ENTIRE DASH lol!!

Last edited by scviolence; 05-25-10 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-25-10, 09:52 AM
koukii
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZ300
either way im still going to do my own thing and be myself.....whos with me?
I got your back.
Old 05-25-10, 09:53 AM
koukii
Driver

LOL @ scviolence

Quick Reply: What is happening to our cars?