SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Which do you think is a better choice?
2007 BMW 335Ci: ~380whp, $400/mo.
37.14%
1995 Lexus SC300: 1JZ/R154, ~400whp, $175/mo.
62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Which would you rather have....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 07:14 PM
boostd4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which would you rather have....

Ugh... I have serious car commitment issues. I like to blame it on my hungry brain - I like to learn about all different setups, and I learn by doing, so I've had one of just about every 90's era Japanese sportscar. I haven't been dumb about it... I wait for a really clean example to come up for sale, mod it tastefully (whether it be simple BPU, or full on motor swaps), then sell it for >= what I paid for it a year or two later (I'm 33, and have been doing this since 18 or so).

I'm about to buy my first place, and because of money and possible parking spaces, I have to consolidate down to one car.

Currently, I have the cleanest 1995 SC300 I've ever seen, which I picked up a few months ago when planning to get out of car payments:

Alongside it, I have my toy - a 1993 Mazda RX7 with ~420whp LS1 swap:

I can *NOT* keep the RX7. I love the car to death, but if I have to go down to one car, it is just too impractical... terrible in the winter, terrible gas mileage, no space, etc.

I am considering selling both cars, and buying a 2007 BMW 335Ci. I work for BMW, so parts/service are nearly free for me. That being said, it will cost me more per month than if I keep the SC. So down to the choices.... after everything is said and done, these will be my two choices:

2007 BMW 335Ci
  • Juice Box Tuner
  • H&R Springs
  • Miro STP3 19" wheels (oem with snow tires for winter)
  • Turbo-back exhaust
  • BMW M-Aerodynamic kit

Result - ~380whp/390wtq, comfortable, newish daily driver that will still get ~24mpg mixed and have all the creature comforts. At this point, there isn't much more I can do and stay OBD2/emissions compliant power wise. Cost = $400/mo.

Example - (This is an M3, but same wheels/drop as the 335Ci, basically looks the same except the fender vent in front and wider wheel arches which you really can't see in this photo anyway):

OR

1995 Lexus SC300
  • Completely flawless new interior with Supra Turbo seats
  • Amazing SQL sound system
  • AC replica body kit
  • Staggered 18" RPF1's
  • Megan coilovers
  • Supra Turbo brakes, control arms, etc etc
  • 1JZ VVTi Swap w/ GT3076R turbo, R154

Result - ~400whp daily driver, most creature comforts, should get low 20's mpg. Endless power possibilities with standalone EMS, turbo choices, and no emissions testing for OBD1 in my county. Cost - $175/mo.

Example - (Obviously not RPF1 rims, and my thanks and apologies to the owner of this car who's pic I blatantly stole off a google search):

It's a hard choice for me because in some respects, the newer tighter car, refreshingly modern looks, and convenience features of the BMW are definitely worth SOMETHING... are they worth $225/month more?.... I'm having a hard time deciding. I have LOTS of hookups for the BMW being in the business. I'm a rattle/squeak/NVH ******** and the BMW's are dead quiet inside. I'd only have to lower the car 0.5" from factory sport package height to be on the tire, and still ride nice.

My Lexus is almost on the tire and with the Megan LS coilovers, rides a little crappy for my tastes. It is, however, an awesome car for what it is, and I'd be saving a considerable amount each month if i just kept it.

Gah, so hard to decide!
Old 05-14-10, 07:25 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

I think the best choice for comfort/look would be the 3 series. Since you work for BMW thats another plus! The only downside is ur monthly payments, but im sure you can handle it if you're considering it.
Old 05-14-10, 07:30 PM
boostd4
Driver

Yea, I can handle it, it would just make "disposable income" a little harder to come by. I'm older now, and I don't drop $300/week on going clubbing like in my 20's, but I still like to live comfortably.

The Bimmer feels like it fits my age and life situation a little better, but money is money. $225/mo would pay almost all of my utilities a month, or cover all of my groceries/gas.

I know the responsible thing to do is to keep the SC, but you're only young(ish) once, right? I can't get this time back when I'm old and mouldy.
Old 05-14-10, 07:46 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

3 series. Its just not in the same league as the SC man...I've driven both and I'm sure you have as well. As clean as the SC is, the BMW is the better choice and probably worth the money.
Old 05-14-10, 07:55 PM
boostd4
Driver

My previous daily driver (before the SC300) was a 2003 BMW 330i with the Competition Package. I loved that car to death, and even it's now-dated 3-series body was in a league above the SC.

That car however, was doomed for power. Even with the competition package, it only made 235hp and was a SNOOZEFEST in a straight line. I always said that it would have been the perfect car if it had another 200whp.

It's the cost of the 335Ci that's the hangup. Value-to-Dollar, a 1JZ/R154/bolt-on SC300 is a much better deal, it just doesn't have the same curb appeal, or new/tight feel. I catch the mod-bug pretty easy, too. The 335Ci is fuel limited to about 425whp. Until someone develops larger volume/capacity direct injection injectors, that's it. Not to mention, I work for BMW, and bimmer has been having a helluva time keeping the fuel pumps working. They're finally on a solid revision and time will tell if it holds up, but if there is a need for more fuel than the stock pump can supply, that will be another MASSIVE hurdle.
Old 05-14-10, 08:08 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Which would I rather have? The sc. Which should you buy? the BMW. you'll quickly make up the 225 difference a month in repairing the SC.
Old 05-14-10, 08:49 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

id go with the sc not just because i have a sc but because it has more horse and lower payments...

and because i do not trust german cars
Old 05-14-10, 08:51 PM
Pspice
Lead Lap

ugh have u ever worked on a german car :'(
Old 05-14-10, 10:20 PM
BostonSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pspice
ugh have u ever worked on a german car :'(
I hear NASA would rather build another spaceship than work on a BMW.

Old 05-14-10, 10:34 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 444 Likes on 366 Posts

That's a tough decision. Personally, I love the newer BMW coupes, and they are one of the best looking cars out now. As much as I love the BMW's keep both the SC and RX-7. The SC is super clean and the RX-7 is just too cool to sale. I passed up the chance to get one and I regret it everyday. Two sweet cars are better than one
Old 05-14-10, 10:49 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

BMW 335i. End of story

If you can live comfortably with the payments, then go for it. I would only advise against it if you're really strapped for cash, but it doesn't seem like that's the case.
Old 05-14-10, 10:53 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW 335, no doubt
Old 05-14-10, 11:10 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

How much you selling the ls1 rx-7 for?
Old 05-15-10, 03:05 AM
2turbo1sup
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You're going to pay for maintenance/parts for a $45,000 car you bought for $25,000. Think about it
Old 05-15-10, 05:20 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

WTF? I own both names of these cars and both are completely different, when it comes to ride, comfort, handling, and gas mileage. I have also worked on both of mine also. The only problem that I have had on the BMW, was a broken window regulator at 135 from the local BMW dealership, and a cracked overflow radiator tank. I have done all the work on these myself, on both cars. I absolutely love the 3 series, but for long trips and comfort, like the SC better. I wouldnt buy the 335i, I would buy a used 2009 M3, but thats not the choices here.. I would say the 335i. Its fast, sporty, handles well, and a dang good looking car! Best of luck with your choice. Theis is JMO, by the way!

Quick Reply: Which would you rather have....