SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Value of our beloved SCs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 08:07 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one knows.if you did then you can pick stocks for me.
Old 05-05-10, 08:29 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shonuff53 I have a plan, from now on all SC owners act snobby, park valet every chance you get, and over price our cars. if anyone ask why say there limited production and the guy who designed them also designed the SR71 blackbird.

P.S. make sure to leave some law school books, or medical practice books in the passenger seat.
^ hahaha thats funny
Old 05-05-10, 08:46 AM
the3rd
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
the value of a car will never go up.
I couldn't get liability insurance on my 1989 2.6L 190E. I called many agents. They told me "Unfortunately your car raises in value slightly". Like others have posted cars values do rise.
Old 05-05-10, 09:14 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by shonuff53
I have a plan, from now on all SC owners act snobby, park valet every chance you get, and over price our cars. if anyone ask why say there limited production and the guy who designed them also designed the SR71 blackbird.

P.S. make sure to leave some law school books, or medical practice books in the passenger seat.
That's a good idea
Old 05-05-10, 08:49 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at how most of them are turning out. They're the next 240.

By the time they'd be classics, most will be beat to hell.
Old 05-05-10, 08:52 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
Look at how most of them are turning out. They're the next 240.

By the time they'd be classics, most will be beat to hell.
Agree, majority of the people now are coming from 240sx ( i came from one..)

the3rd.. if you kept reading i posted another post.
Old 05-05-10, 10:42 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Aside from the examples that stay garaged in climate controlled storage I don't think many modern cars like the SC will survive at all for the next 30-50 years. There is way too much foam and plastic content in them. With age this hardens, chips, and becomes brittle.

Classic cars that are classics now lacked so many plastics and foams. They were made of metal, wood, glass, and rubber that can be replaced. Modern cars have major panels and structures made of plastic.

There are also way too many computers on a modern car. It doesn't matter now since you can always find a used replacement but when the SC line does die off and maybe 5% of the cars still exist and survive it will be slim pickings. Within the next 5 years we will see many items gone from Toyota forever. Then as the early model drop into the below $500 car range while the late models pretty much all go under 4 grand they will drop into the hands of many people who can not care of them properly.

In other words, fix and restore your car now.

The value on the survivors will probably go up cause they will mean nostalgia to the right buyer.
Old 05-06-10, 01:28 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^ well said
Old 05-06-10, 06:53 AM
BIGCTY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jadu
^ well said
I wholeheartedly agree. And this is also a reason why I don't work on modern cars. I have a d@mn Masters Degree and the cars are smarter than I've ever been. I LOVE working on my classics though. How many cars can you stand INSIDE the engine bay and change a water pump? 10 minute starter changes, belts and hoses - he!! thats pretty much all thats there. Nice and simple...and easy to keep running. The other sad thing is that the people who are knowledgeable about these cars are getting up in age. Hardly anyone my age knows how to tune or rebuild a carb.
Old 05-06-10, 07:22 AM
AusSC400
Rookie

Best thing to do is to buy as many as possible so you can keep them in nice condition instead of other people who just buy them and crash them
Old 05-06-10, 10:27 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^ if i had the room, I would pick up a couple more sc's haha
Old 05-06-10, 04:49 PM
Blurr
Driver

Originally Posted by sc300jz
the value of a car will never go up.
99.9% of cars depreciate. Ferrari Enzos get more valuable each time some idiot crashes one of them. But I agree...the SC will never go up in value, there are too many of them and they are not considered a classic.
Old 05-06-10, 10:44 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

In general, all cars will eventually regain their value (assuming you maintain it to showroom quality), but how long that will take is the real question. There has to be a demand for it, and by that I mean a predictable future demand. Some cars like the Supra picked up their value quick since there's such a demand for it from the tuner market and the aging Gen X. The resurgence in the value of the 60s and early 70s muscle cars has to do with baby-booms who grew up on the models, and mind you they too are model-specific. For instance, a 67 Mustang coupe will probably sell for $7,000 but a similar 67 Mustang fastback will sell for $25,000+.

The Lexus SC was revolutionary in its styling. There is no doubt about that. Our car was one of the first, if not the first, cars to be designed using purely 3D modeling as opposed to the conventional 2D drawing. When our cars came out in 1991, it was a shock to the market. The thing is that this alone doesn't make our cars a classic.

The original Ford Taurus was revolutionary when it came out too. People thought the styling was out of this world (hence the reason it was used in Robocop). Most car designers credit the Taurus for moving us away from total box cars. Still, the 1st gen Ford Taurus isn't anything special that you're going to pay $20,000 for. The same with the Lexus SC.
Old 05-23-10, 02:43 PM
gsta127
Rookie

I think in 30 years a supra will be like a 60s mustang, and an sc300 will be like a 60s cougar. The cougar is more luxurious like the sc300 but not worth quite the same as a mustang. However the cougar is still considered a collectors car like i think the sc will.
Old 05-23-10, 11:03 PM
OaklandLex
Pole Position

I for one value my car highly and I'm sure you all do too. That's all that really matters, kbb my a$$ lol

Quick Reply: Value of our beloved SCs