ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000-6/)
-   -   Value of our beloved SCs (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/499222-value-of-our-beloved-scs.html)

IndySC 05-04-10 10:21 AM

Value of our beloved SCs

I was just looking at my beautiful 95 SC4 w/225k and wondering if it will ever go up in value... i know we dont really have a strong pedigree but they're amazing cars... How long until its worth more than the $2500 i paid for it?

abounly 05-04-10 10:29 AM

the value of a car will never go up.

Photon440 05-04-10 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by IndySC (Post 5458103)
I was just looking at my beautiful 95 SC4 w/225k and wondering if it will ever go up in value... i know we dont really have a strong pedigree but they're amazing cars... How long until its worth more than the $2500 i paid for it?

If anyone knew the answer to when a car would increase in value they'd be rich! But looking at what people are collecting, such as '60's muscle and you'll find that most cars kept going down in value until they were 20 years old. Look at any number of cars like a 1965 Mustang, 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda, Pontiac GTO or early '70's Datsun 240Z. They're all selling for several times their original purchase price now, but were bargains earlier. Some of them had much higher production numbers than our SCs as well. You just never know what people are going to want later on, but performance models usually have more appeal.

-=Photon=-

KA8 05-04-10 10:50 AM

Most likely never. Maybe 20 yrs later it may but it must be in decent condition.

Klaus 05-04-10 11:30 AM

There are definitely some cars from the 90s that I beleive will rise in value in the next 20 years, and I don't believe the scs are one of them. Part of the allure of old muscle is there really isn't much out that is like them any more. Plus the rarity is a huge factor. The SC wasn't much of a niche, and lexus is making new and improved models.

At the risk of being in shark infested waters here.... the mkiv is more likely to increase in value. Low production, timeless looks, and definitely a unique car vs what is currently being produced. It also was a "dream car" for a lot of people in the 90s just as those old muscle cars were in their time. As those dreamers age and get into their careers and become buyers those cars will increase in value. This olds true for classic exotics as well.

I also think the VR-4 spyder, the ferrari f355, the lotus espirit, and the NSX will all be in that category as well.

BostonSC4 05-04-10 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Klaus (Post 5458295)
There are definitely some cars from the 90s that I beleive will rise in value in the next 20 years, and I don't believe the scs are one of them. Part of the allure of old muscle is there really isn't much out that is like them any more. Plus the rarity is a huge factor. The SC wasn't much of a niche, and lexus is making new and improved models.

At the risk of being in shark infested waters here.... the mkiv is more likely to increase in value. Low production, timeless looks, and definitely a unique car vs what is currently being produced. It also was a "dream car" for a lot of people in the 90s just as those old muscle cars were in their time. As those dreamers age and get into their careers and become buyers those cars will increase in value. This olds true for classic exotics as well.

I also think the VR-4 spyder, the ferrari f355, the lotus espirit, and the NSX will all be in that category as well.

Make sure not to tip the raft the two of us are on in these shark infested waters. :thumbup:

Vortes 05-04-10 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Klaus (Post 5458295)

At the risk of being in shark infested waters here.... the mkiv is more likely to increase in value. Low production, timeless looks, and definitely a unique car vs what is currently being produced.

So true, I've heard of very low mileage original mk4's selling for $60K+

2turbo1sup 05-04-10 12:14 PM

cars are bad investments, put money in stocks instead if you want some return.

Otherwise, SCs are pretty much worthless in the next few decades with the exception of super rare models; and those are pretty much considered cheap right now with the highest asking price of about $7k +/-.

BIGCTY 05-04-10 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by sc300jz (Post 5458123)

You must mean the value of HIS car will never go up, because there are certainly cars out there whose value goes up every day. I have two that have both increased in value in the years I've owned them (66 C10, 69 SS427 Impala convertible). An SC isnt one of them however, and likely never will be IMO (except maybe the 97 5 speed). Some of the cars mentioned already will some day be in high demand, and you may even see cars like late Gen 2 MTX SHO's and 6 speed Legends fetch higher prices in the years to come.

shonuff53 05-04-10 12:19 PM

I have a plan, from now on all SC owners act snobby, park valet every chance you get, and over price our cars. if anyone ask why say there limited production and the guy who designed them also designed the SR71 blackbird.

P.S. make sure to leave some law school books, or medical practice books in the passenger seat.

abounly 05-04-10 12:22 PM

yeah i meant to say the value of cars HARDLY goes up unless it is rare or very few were produced + it has to be in perfect shape. For the SC i dont see it happening at all.. they came out of the factory at 44kish and i've seen some low mileage ones in perfect condition and it was listed at 20kish. But yeah i don't think sc's value goes up.

turbodremz 05-04-10 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sc300jz (Post 5458123)

not true...otherwise you wouldnt see 1930/40/50's Mercedes going for $70k+...

The simple fact is that there are cars that hold a "timeless" design, and IMHO Lexus has just not hit that particular mark yet. Nothing wrong with the company or the cars they make, but if you look at the cars that gain value with age, they all have some kind of history with them, thus allowing them to gain value with age.

You want a car that can go up in value with age, you need to have the money to buy it or restore it for starters.

horent135 05-04-10 12:29 PM

I think if a whole more people knew about SC had 2JZ N/A supra engine, people would be thinking the cheaper version of supra, the price might go up! Or they should have use SC instead of the supra in the " The fast and furious" movie then the SC price will skyrocket LOL

JamaicanSC 05-04-10 01:07 PM

The funny thing is a SC was in the desert race in the F/F, but I have to agree with what most said before. The SC will not be worth much if it's not viewed as a performance car by the masses. On the other hand even the Barrett Jackson commentators have noted that it's the collectors that make the market, so if some kids out there now have been watching underground vids of SC's gone wild LoL. Then in the next 10-20 years who knows what's gonna be hot!

turbodremz 05-04-10 01:22 PM

I had a feeling the F&F series was going to be brought into this...and there were more than 2 SC's in the first F&F..try 6 total