SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Off to Florida

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-10, 09:29 PM
Nolamatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off to Florida

Ok so im off to florida this week to pick my car up. I looked up some info on switching the title but couldnt find out exactly what I was trying to find out. So any help would be great.

So pretty much I was wondering how much I should be bringing with me. Obviously the money for the car. Anyone know how much it will be to switch the title over to me. I will not be registering it in florida, so i wont be paying tt&l in florida will i? But I will need a temp plate to drive it back to new orleans. So does anyone know what they will be charging me to get a temp tag in florida or what information I will need to be able to get the temp plate? I will also have to have proof of insurance to get the tag im sure?

I tried calling the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles but umm i was on hold for about 50 minutes and gave up lol. Thank you ClubLexus!
Old 05-03-10, 10:02 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just drove it back with the title in my hand and I had insurance on it. I called the TN PD and they said that I had to have the title signed and filled out completly but most importantly insurance on the car in order to drive it back. Do not try to register it down there. You will be paying taxes on it if you do.
Old 05-03-10, 10:17 PM
Nolamatt
Driver School Candidate

did you have a temp plate to drive it back? or you just drove back without one?
Old 05-03-10, 10:33 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

I would put the plates you have on your current car on it. If you have the title and insurance on the vehicle you shouldn't run into any problems. Just drive normally.
Old 05-03-10, 10:38 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Banikid
I would put the plates you have on your current car on it. If you have the title and insurance on the vehicle you shouldn't run into any problems. Just drive normally.
no offense to your idea but that is not good advice. If he gets pulled over fro ANYTHING, tail light, brake light, etc...... they can charge him with swapping plates along with driving an uninsured vehicle and its almost guaranteed to get towed along with a rather large fine

In my case the first and only time I did this a cop was traveling behind me and I had a burnt out tail light he pulled me over and to make a long story short the car got towed.
Old 05-03-10, 11:00 PM
Banikid
Lead Lap

Dam thats bad luck. I heard if the car is insured and you have the title with you you shouldnt have a problem. I dunno bout plates though. I just threw that idea up there.
Old 05-03-10, 11:37 PM
Nolamatt
Driver School Candidate

Yea I dont think I want to put another plate on it. LoL. Because, I to, thought about just the slightest chance of getting pulled over. I'm hoping if I go to a title place out in orlando they will get me a tempt tag and all. Well, we'll see when i get there. Not going till thursday morning, so if anyone else knows anything on this matter, please do post!

Thanks for the above ^^
Old 05-04-10, 05:26 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why not post this in the FLORIDA section.....?
probably get more useful information there.... good luck & congrats on new car.
Old 05-04-10, 04:18 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

signed title w/ bill of sale and insurance should be all you need...do not drive back with a tag from another vehicle on it...I was going to do this when I got my SC400 in Clearwater (about 1hr 45mins South) a few weeks ago...the lady at the tag office told me it's better to drive with no tag on it than to put on a tag that is registered to another vehicle...

oh, and I wouldn't do the temp tag; as Carfreak70 said, you will likely end up paying taxes, etc. Save it for when you get back to N.O.

Last edited by keskipper; 05-04-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-04-10, 04:20 PM
Nolamatt
Driver School Candidate

So they should give me a temp tag in FL after i switch the title and show proof of insurance?
Old 05-04-10, 04:26 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nolamatt
So they should give me a temp tag in FL after i switch the title and show proof of insurance?
I was editing my post when you wrote

No, I would not go to the tax collector in FL at all...do it all when you get back to N.O. You will simply re-title in Louisiana...drive back with no tag; if you get stopped, show the police the signed title, bill of sale, and proof of insurance.

Be sure to call your insurance and have the vehicle added and ask if they can e-mail or fax you proof prior to leaving for N.O.
Old 05-04-10, 04:35 PM
Nolamatt
Driver School Candidate

oh man, im scared to drive back with not title lol.
Old 05-04-10, 04:36 PM
Nolamatt
Driver School Candidate

temp tag**
Old 05-04-10, 04:46 PM
keskipper
Pole Position

If you're concerned, ask the seller to leave the tag on it and you can mail it back when you get to N.O. That's what I did...but I was going less than two hours.
Old 05-05-10, 07:57 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

^^^^^^^^ what he said if they will let you do it.mail tags to d m v when you return

Quick Reply: Off to Florida