SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 08:51 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think you need to read through some peoples build threads to get a better idea of what na-t takes.
If you have to rely on the list scsexy posted you are probably not ready yet.
Most of us read about this stuff for years before tackling it.

Even then there are tons of little things not listed here that you just need for turbocharged setups.
intercooler piping and routing, oil feed and drain line sizes, plugs, doing the distributor delete to help with turbo intake pipe clearance (most won't clear with a 4" intake pipe).
If you are piecing together a kit you will need a turbo with a hotside small enough to fit under the stock intake manifold but most reasonable turbos do fit.

I would suggest reading through a few members threads on here who have done na-t and with the tt ecu mod.
Unless you are familiar with turbo motors, its not something you can just knock out in a weekend even with the guide, let alone troubleshooting if something goes wrong.
I would say half the issues with the tt ecu mod other than bad parts, was improper installation of some kind.. from wrong/bad injectors to people having manifold leaks (intake and exhaust), downpipe leaks, etc..

Getting it running on the ecu first is good advice, I would suggest when you are ready to do in stages as much as possible.
Even before you get anything done, you can install a wideband air fuel gauge (you will want one later anyways and a boost gauge), and that way you can see what normal air fuel ratios look like on the stock ecu before you switch.
Its not 100% necessary, but once you become familiar with what it should look like, you will know when you have issues right away and before its too late.

The mod is easy to someone who has done work on turbo motors, but if you are just diving in I would suggest reading the other build threads first. go to the build section and search na-t builds.

The advantage to piecing it together yourself is you can choose a quality turbo and wastegate. the ones that come in the kits are usually the generic kind and wont flow or spool the best but will should get you boosted at least.
I started with a kit, but these days on ebay you can grab a cheap manifold/downpipe/intake pipe kit, and then buy the turbo and wastegate separate. get all the lines and stuff you need online, you don't need the kit if you do some research.
If you don't want to mess with piecing it together then just start with a basic kit, it'll be cheaper and the turbo won't be as good but its not a bad starting point till you learn more about all the stuff.

check out HiPSIs half way through the thread. alot of other members have builds too. I think Aswiley had a decent writeup too for an auto.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post7925143

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-05-19 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-05-19, 11:35 AM
vinyvin
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey ali thanks the response! So when it comes to turbo installation I think i got a fair idea, or at least I hope so. Exhaust manifolds, intercoolers, fuel system which eill be 440ccs since power isnt a big deal yet, I have a good idea on what is needed hopefully. Ive actually been lurking on the fourms for some while, I think 3 years now and NaT has been my biggest passion. I know the money varies from 4k to 1 million haha piecing the kit together is no biggie for me. Online I can find them but I always tried going local first ya know? Makes thing easier. Like I mentioned tho, this ECU mod is the main thing scaring me and my pops since we've never dealt with electrical stuff in cars. Installation is the easy part, its the wiring that scares ya know? And I dont plan on a weeked to do this, unless a week is considered a weekend in turbo terms lol (not meant to sound rude) I'll make sure to update my build thread as much as possible when i get home to give people a better idea on the items Im going. I understand I may be wrong tho and it would break my heart for that to be true, but i would accept it. Too much text?
Old 02-05-19, 02:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Sounds like you have a good plan then, if its just the wiring its really not too bad just don't cut any wires and only add the stuff in the thread.
you should be fine to get it running on the the stock distributor also, if you can't fit an intake pipe later then worry about the coilpacks but skip it at first.
Just wanted to make sure you have a good idea of whats going on before you dive in. you can easily get the ecu part done in a weekend, the turbo install.. well that varies lol.
Old 02-06-19, 07:54 AM
vinyvin
Driver

Gotcha so ECU mod soon then! My plan is to make sure this car has very little down town so doing it in stages seems to be a good bet yeah? Also before i dive in what are ways I can check to make sure the ECU and MAP are good?

also since I have a non vvti 97 sc300 so would I only need to do steps 1,2,4,6,7 (along with putting the trans in), 8, 9 and the stock coil usage step?

I have the aristo ECU rn and Im sure the 97's use obd2

Last edited by vinyvin; 02-06-19 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added more questions :D
Old 02-06-19, 11:46 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

you have a 97 so that means you have a harness with the newer style maf, so your wiring is a little different for the map sensor as you need to get the 5v from the tps.
For 2JZ-GE's that are 96+ non vvti, I still recommend using the JDM ecu as its map sesnor based and runs the best out of the box. The wiring is a little different you must take power and ground from the tps as the 96+ maf (12v) is different than the 92-95 maf (5v).
OBD2 will no longer work after the ecu swap.

Everything else is straight forward except for the automatic transmission. that will make this mod alot more difficult potentially. you have a couple choices.
1. I recommend you install a manual transmission (have to swap transmission but simplifies everything, also automatic transmissions suck for sports cars)
2. for now use the stock automatic with the torque converter lockup not working (no wiring needed, but that function wont work, stock auto will hold low boost for a little while but not reliable at all).
3. Swap to a gte automatic transmission and rewire your harness (the plugs are not the same on your transmission and a gte transmission, you will be adding wires and rewiring the plugs at the transmission, more work/wiring but more reliable, should work fine for 400 hp.. above that gets less reliable). Someone did this and also did document some of the wiring but I can't remember who it was now... maybe someone will chime in. Gerrb might have some of it covered in his large wiring thread as well.

So if you do all the rewiring for a gte auto and the effort to swap it.. depending on the condition you may still have to rebuild it to higher spec later down the road if you shoot for much over 500hp.
Or you can find a deal on a manual transmission, install that instead with a clutch kit that will support your final power goals, skip the wiring, and have a bunch more fun cause automatics suck and take away power.

So the tt ecu mod is easy, but doing it with the gte automatic like you are trying makes it harder. IT has been done by a few members, who have posted some information but I can't really help with auto wiring and also refuse to do so because I dislike it that much.
So if you do go down that route be prepared to research of follow others pinouts etc.. with regards to wiring up the gte auto. it might not be that hard if you know exactly what to do and its only a couple connectors on the transmission, but I wont pretend to know what exactly needs to be done cause I haven't done it and probably will never run the auto other than the stock one to limp it along until I find the right manual transmission.

I don't mean to sound harsh or anything but the tt ecu mod is rather simple, but running the gte auto on a ge harness is not and requires as much if not more rewiring that is not covered in this thread.
I do remember someone started a thread on that subject with pictures and info, but I can't remember where it is. you will have to search for it if someone doesn't chime in.
Old 02-06-19, 12:51 PM
vinyvin
Driver

You dont sound harsh at all. I appriciate you letting me know what im getting into. I was told the GTE auto would be plug and play but it seems thats not the case. So I got a trans just sitting for now. The manual swap seems to cost alot more and require more effort as well, along with the ECU. Side note, how does one control the air fuel ratio with this mod without turbo or coils since Im not vvti? Wont my car run horrible without coils or turbo on the ECU? I ask someone one question the have 3 more questions after that haha thats just me trying to learn tho
Old 02-06-19, 01:54 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yes, the manual trans will add costs and alot of parts.. but going na-t is not inexpensive by any means.
Anyone who says otherwise hasn't actually done it. You can do it on budget, but it is not a small budget to do it right.
Before you would be doing all of these things for the ecu mod to install a map sensor, injectors etc.. and buying a standalone, and then paying to have it tuned.
I had my standalone na-t tuned like 3 times before I decided that I could live with how it ran, it can be frustrating to say the least.
And the standalones don't even support the automatic transmissions all that well unless you pay for the best ones which can be as expensive as a whole gte swap these days.

you can use the same auto ecu with a manual transmission, but a manual ecu is technically more ideal.
You probably got a smoking deal on that gte automatic because no one really wants them or they don't want the headache of wiring.

The GTE auto does not have the same connectors as the GE and has a few more wires I think off the top of my head.
The GTE auto transmission will physically bolt onto the engine just fine like the GE auto, but is it not plug and play unless you are using a 2JZGTE engine harness which would then have a whole different set of wiring issues.

If you just want to get boosted and have some fun on low boost for now, forget about the gte auto at the moment and just use the existing ge transmission until it goes bad.
then worry about the wiring changes and swapping a gte auto in later, or even going manual at that point.

the JDM ecu uses a map sensor, so it is aware of the vacuum or boost that the engine is seeing. without a turbo it just wont see boost, but it still has all the vacuum numbers to run the engine just like a non turbo ecu would have.
It will basically just think that you are never going into boost, but it doesn't care and is designed to run the engine even if the turbos are not working.

the coils do not affect the air fuel ratio substantially, you may get a little better spark out of the coils especially under high boost situations, but as long as the spark is happening (not washed out with too much boost) it isn't something that the ecu will notice or you can pick up on an air fuel gauge.

if your o2 sensors are in and working well, the ecu will sort out the airfuel in regular driving, especially if you stick with the 440cc injectors like the mod says.
You would get a chance to see what that is like with a air fuel gauge so you can spot if something is off like a leak etc..
you will also want the air fuel gauge when you are running boost with the turbo, so you can see what your air fuel ratio AFR looks like at your max boost level otherwise you are just plain guessing.
You can get away with guessing on low boost levels but really its one of those things you should have with na-t cause there are lots of factors that can affect fueling and going lean is how you blow the headgasket and/or motor.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-06-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 02:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

i found that post I was thinking about, it was only 4 years ago lol
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post8995713

Originally Posted by fried_rice
My good friend did the wiring while I was finishing up everything else. He does a ton of GTE swap harnesses and had the extra transmission clips laying around. I'll send him a link to this and see if he'll post more detailed info.

The only thing I can post now is the plugs I believe needed to be added, some circled plugs may be the same, You'll have to look at both transmissions and read the Pinouts for both GE vs GTE. One thing to note is the GTE VVTI transmissions are different and require a lot more wiring.

For the driveshaft, I believe the SC400 driveshaft should be bolt in without modification for SC's. For a Supra I had the GE flange cut off and the Aristo flange welded and balanced.

Here's some pics to give you an idea of what clips you'll need, circled in red. If you have friends with GTE manual swaps, go cut their auto clips off .

​​​​​​​
Old 02-06-19, 11:49 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Hey ali, so... I got bad and good news... the bad news... I wont be needed to do the mod anymore so i hope you dont feel as if I wasted your time because youve given me TONS of advice. But for the good news. I am picking up a AEM V1 for the 2JZ GE plug and play! Im getting it from lexforlife on the fourms he seems like a great guy and is loved by the fourms so I trust the ECU will be in great shape! So. Now that this is coming in, things should be easier hopefully right? Thank you again for all the advice and words man I cant thank you enough. I could always use some more tho since Im a young NAT boy aha
Old 02-07-19, 10:46 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Viny, please take my advice and read peoples build threads. the aem v1 is a very difficult ecu to tune unless you know how to tune standalone, even then they are not that easy.
They are also not plug and play, how many times are you going to fall for that line!!!?!?!
you still have to wire up the map sensor, iat, injectors... sound familiar? cause its basically the same for the tt ecu mod.
it will let you use the stock transmission sort of (it is really bad at controlling it) and it will probably fail soon with turbo power, so IMO it is a giant waste of time.
I have 2 of them sitting in my closet right now. if your car is going to be daily driven, you are in for a world of hurt especially in winter.
Did you ask Lexforlife how much money he has into tuning it? Because it is likely more than what I am about to tell you just to get started.
a decent initial tune will probably cost at least 500, and it wont run that great.. expect basically one that starts in warm weather, will drive around decent and is basically only tuned for WOT.
it will take additional hours and hours of tuning to get it to start and idle in non ideal conditions like a stock ecu does, and each round of tuning is $$ (which the aem v1 sucks at on our cars in general).

Unless you are going to become a tuning whiz overnight, you will need to spend at least 1k in tuning and whatnot... and you will still have to wire up the plugs for the gte auto when you break your stock auto.

am I getting through to you yet? you keep purchasing parts that are going to give you lots of headaches.
take that 1k and put it towards saving up for a used 5 speed transmission or just learn how to wire the gte auto plugs, its like a dozen wires.
Maybe message the guy I found the post for above or start a thread with help for wiring it, as I have said its been done lots of times with regards to regular gte swaps but I am not an expert on that.
running that really old standalone, will cost you so much more in the end unless you have a buddy that is a tuning whiz.
I have tuned on the aem ems v1 and its not something I look forward to using most of the time, as I said I have 2 of them sitting here and am still going with the stock ecu on my next project cause I need it to be reliable.

Just in general also, hardly anything is "plug and play" when it comes to na-t. everything is more complicated than a gte swap.
I would also propose another idea, and that is to just order a 1jzgte vvti swap and pay a shop to do the harness, and plug it all in and you can have lots of fun for under 3500.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-07-19 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-07-19, 05:01 PM
vinyvin
Driver

I hear you loud and clear ali dont worry. Dont think Im throwing all the advice you give me out the window. The AEM Im picking up ran me 600$. Great deal. It already has a tune and lex sent me a video of how well the tune ran. Hes gonna be giving me the specs of his build for a better idea. Youre right, its not truly plug and play, nothing is. Im ready for the wiring. I know a few shops that are great at tuning AEM and I know its not cheap as well. I never expected myself to be the one doing the tuning. Im gonna run low boost for a long time until Im 100% sure I can turn it up safely. I have read tons of build threads. Some REALLY expensive. And some not so much. Both require tons of work. Does that give you a better idea of my end of things? Or am i not understanding you correctly? Also none of the text above was meant to sound rude at all. Just in case it sounded like it.
Old 02-07-19, 05:53 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

At least you live in AZ, it should be warm all the time there... That will make it a bit easier on the tune. But really Vin, there are a lot of other factors to keep in mind when it comes to using someone elses tune:

- Do you have the same fuel system?
- Same size and type of injectors?
- Same turbo?
- Are you at the same elevation as Lex?
- Do you live in the same climate?

All these factors play a part in the tuning of an engine along with other factors that I'm sure I've missed. The fact is that if you are trying to keep to a cheap budget, using the V1 will most likely cause budget overruns and leave you with a car that doesn't run right at all. My recommendation is that you listen to Ali as he really knows his stuff...
Old 02-07-19, 07:22 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Im having tons of people give me different opinions on everything I have to do with going NA-T. I didnt know elevation played a factor to the tune. I guess I will have to get it retuned. Some have told me that using a standalone is the best route while others tell me the mod is the better way. Im not doubting you guys or the others its just idk man. I know the tune would cost more money. Im stuck at a cross roads..
Old 02-07-19, 07:37 PM
vinyvin
Driver

I hear of this guy called tony at ums who tunes aem for 2jz's alot and that what he does is magic. Not only that but the tune it has right now is really really damn good so I dont think it will take much to have it retuned. Well.. I think im going with the AEM BUT if all goes badly... I will do the mod.. I know that sounds really really dumb but I just want to give the stand alone route a shot.. plus the thing goes for like 2 grand or something near that. I know I may ne making a bad decision. Im just gonna trust my gut. And please guys dont think I disregared everything you all have told me. Its always in the back of my mind and I keep thinking about it.

I hope I wont be seen as an idiot on these fourms because I am only 19 and I really like the community here. I'll keep my build thread going until I stop breathing. Im sorry if I dissapointed any of you guys.

Last edited by vinyvin; 02-07-19 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Made an decison I think.
Old 02-07-19, 08:20 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by vinyvin
I hear of this guy called tony at ums who tunes aem for 2jz's alot and that what he does is magic. Not only that but the tune it has right now is really really damn good so I dont think it will take much to have it retuned. Well.. I think im going with the AEM BUT if all goes badly... I will do the mod.. I know that sounds really really dumb but I just want to give the stand alone route a shot.. plus the thing goes for like 2 grand or something near that. I know I may ne making a bad decision. Im just gonna trust my gut. And please guys dont think I disregared everything you all have told me. Its always in the back of my mind and I keep thinking about it.

I hope I wont be seen as an idiot on these fourms because I am only 19 and I really like the community here. I'll keep my build thread going until I stop breathing. Im sorry if I dissapointed any of you guys.
Hey bro, you’re not a disappointment at all. Do what you need to do to learn.

Quick Reply: 2JZGE Na-T TT Ecu Mod