SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC been in an accident. have some ?'s (no 56K)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 09:47 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had to replace my top radiator support and it wasn't too difficult ... i would recommend you go to a junk yard with a saws all and get to hacking, after that take it to a person that knows what how to work a welder and a jack hammer (preferably a good body shop) and they should be able to do it in no time.

if there was no damage to frame's geometry you should be perfectly fine
Old 03-26-09, 09:49 PM
BigLSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by Ryeno
Ironically a ticket would be cheaper then the cost to repair your car.
I would've been more than happy to take a 50 dollar ticket over a bent frame, but too late now.

Originally Posted by UZZ30-SC4
Umm...it is the radiator support, and its a much larger piece than what you see, and YES it is very important part of the cars front structure i.e. keeping everything straight
Originally Posted by Timo5701
Ok, your a parts manager. I own a body shop. We both know what a rad support is, thin sheet metal. Structual? I sure hope not. Important in how the front end fits? Yep. Lower tie bar bent some important? Not soo much.
Be easy guys. Stop the
You guys are both right. I was looking through Carson Lexus website and I fount out that the part in question is in fact the lower tie bar and it has 5 other components to it that make up the entire radiator support.
Old 03-26-09, 10:07 PM
BigLSC4
Driver

Ok, I'm not sayin his car didn't get f'd up. I'm sayin it's really not that bad. 1st check your hood gaps. Even on both sides lengthwise? Good that means your front end is still square (if not yep your screwed & need your car in shop for frame work) 2nd is your hood still flush? if yes then hood latch (upper tie bar) is not affected(pushed up by lock support, bolted to lower tie bar, maybe spot welded) & it is still just lower, still not a big deal. If your hood is sticking up yep, you need a body shop. You still gotta love more & more new cars have plastic bolt on rad supports, hence the not structual comment. Still important just not that big of a deal.
Surprisingly, I have no gap on the hood, it lines up on each side with the fender perfectly and it is still flush.

No gap where bumper lines up with fender and gap between headlights and bumper.

The only noticeable gap is on my passenger high beam. There is about a 5mm gap at the left corner.

The damage on my gramps car looks really crazy, but the distance between our cars when this accident happened was no more than about 15-20ft. He couldnt have been going that fast.

This is the thing he ran over in front of my house. Its not really an island, but more of a brick thing that holds plants in it. Its fixed now, but was in little pieces everywhere when it got hit.
Old 03-27-09, 12:22 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear brother...just curious what did he say when he saw you crying?
Old 03-27-09, 01:33 AM
TRBOSOARER
Driver School Candidate

Cut gramps some slack, wait & see how you drive at his age! So you need a new rad & condensor, not a big deal. The lower metal piece is your lower tie bar(frame, kinda) it is NOT structual (NOT, don't listen to anyone that says otherwise) all it really does is hold up the rad & condensor. It may need to be pulled but you should be able to straighten it in your driveway if you get alittle crafty. Could be much worse..........
90% of the vehicle in a unibody configuration is considered structural, even the rear and quarter glass is a structural component.
serious? not really. it can be pulled, or replaced. in the insurance business, it would be replaced, due to liability. its not really that hard to change, gotta drill out some spot welds and plug weld the new panel back in place.
but yeah, you can just pull it, I just get annoyed when people say things and sound so sure, and yet are wrong.
Old 03-27-09, 05:44 AM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm not sayin his car didn't get f'd up. I'm sayin it's really not that bad. 1st check your hood gaps. Even on both sides lengthwise? Good that means your front end is still square (if not yep your screwed & need your car in shop for frame work) 2nd is your hood still flush? if yes then hood latch (upper tie bar) is not affected(pushed up by lock support, bolted to lower tie bar, maybe spot welded) & it is still just lower, still not a big deal. If your hood is sticking up yep, you need a body shop. You still gotta love more & more new cars have plastic bolt on rad supports, hence the not structual comment. Still important just not that big of a deal.
Its not that big of a deal if it doesnt bother you that you have a damaged frame, like said below, it is a unibody, and anything that connects anything together is structure.

Originally Posted by TRBOSOARER
90% of the vehicle in a unibody configuration is considered structural, even the rear and quarter glass is a structural component.
serious? not really. it can be pulled, or replaced. in the insurance business, it would be replaced, due to liability. its not really that hard to change, gotta drill out some spot welds and plug weld the new panel back in place.
but yeah, you can just pull it, I just get annoyed when people say things and sound so sure, and yet are wrong.
When i used to work at a lexus dealership, we had an sc3 come through the body shop that hit a dog going 20mph, did half the damage that this guy has, and the front end was completely tweeked. Cosmetically it looked fine, no gaps anywhere, everything was even....it had a 5mill rotation if i remember correctly. The frame had to be pulled.
Old 03-27-09, 01:05 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have the parts if you want to fix it and purchase used. thanks.
Old 03-27-09, 01:19 PM
BigLSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by sharingan
sorry to hear brother...just curious what did he say when he saw you crying?
Old 03-27-09, 01:28 PM
BigLSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by UZZ30-SC4
Its not that big of a deal if it doesnt bother you that you have a damaged frame, like said below, it is a unibody, and anything that connects anything together is structure.

When i used to work at a lexus dealership, we had an sc3 come through the body shop that hit a dog going 20mph, did half the damage that this guy has, and the front end was completely tweeked. Cosmetically it looked fine, no gaps anywhere, everything was even....it had a 5mill rotation if i remember correctly. The frame had to be pulled.
Ouch... well it does bother me alot that my frame is damaged and won't be the same even after everything is fixed. At this point, I just hope insurance just decides to total my car, but I doubt it.

Originally Posted by aliga
i have the parts if you want to fix it and purchase used. thanks.
Would you be able to get me:
-Upper/lower tie bar
-AC condenser
-The piece that the headlights and high beams bolt on to (not sure whats its called)

I will be in contact with you once I find out whats going on with insurance and everything. Thanks!
Old 03-27-09, 03:35 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigLSC4
Ouch... well it does bother me alot that my frame is damaged and won't be the same even after everything is fixed. At this point, I just hope insurance just decides to total my car, but I doubt it.

Would you be able to get me:
-Upper/lower tie bar
-AC condenser
-The piece that the headlights and high beams bolt on to (not sure whats its called)

I will be in contact with you once I find out whats going on with insurance and everything. Thanks!

dont let it bother you, thats nothing, i have fixed cars 20 times worse, and they come out mint.
Old 03-27-09, 06:36 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Original Poster : Check my SC300 link on my signature. That was traveling at approx 55 MPH. You have small taters there.

I wouldn't total out that car, with the way the economy is who knows if they will screw you in the long run. Take the time to find a good shop that can fix that. Aliga, as posted already, has some amazing prices and does a damn fine job of shipping parts so you can get back up and running in no time. Plus, you get to learn more about your car and how the components work together to give you a better baseline knowledge of your own car.

I've taken apart pretty much every thing on my car minus the engine, and I couldn't be happier. I've learned so much about this car and cars in general that I'm happy I've broke some stuff.

Isn't there any shops that will give you a bull****-free check to see if your frame is ok? Patience is key
Old 03-27-09, 06:47 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

you dont have no frame damage, worst case, take off the components, bang that lower support back to shape or replace it.
Old 03-27-09, 11:50 PM
97RSPSCTT
Pole Position

Cut gramps some slack, wait & see how you drive at his age! So you need a new rad & condensor, not a big deal. The lower metal piece is your lower tie bar(frame, kinda) it is NOT structual (NOT, don't listen to anyone that says otherwise) all it really does is hold up the rad & condensor. It may need to be pulled but you should be able to straighten it in your driveway if you get alittle crafty. Could be much worse..........
+1
Old 03-28-09, 05:45 PM
BigLSC4
Driver

I just wanna say thanks to everyone that offered their input/contributions, it helped me feel a lot better about this incident. I'm still waiting for an adjuster from the insurance company to come take a look at everything.

Meanwhile, I went ahead and ordered a 97+ front bumper from Carson Lexus. Since the bumper is going to get painted, I figured might as well get the nicer front end.
Old 03-28-09, 06:25 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Originally Posted by BigLSC4
I just wanna say thanks to everyone that offered their input/contributions, it helped me feel a lot better about this incident. I'm still waiting for an adjuster from the insurance company to come take a look at everything.

Meanwhile, I went ahead and ordered a 97+ front bumper from Carson Lexus. Since the bumper is going to get painted, I figured might as well get the nicer front end.
You'll need the rear bumper and side skirts too. The 97+ bumper front/rears bumpers are longer (vertical) then the 92/95 bumper. So without all the pieces, the cars silhouette wont be level.

Quick Reply: SC been in an accident. have some ?'s (no 56K)