SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC been in an accident. have some ?'s (no 56K)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-09, 08:37 PM
BigLSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SC been in an accident... out the shop w/ pics

This afternoon I awoke to the sound of a loud crash. Turns out that my grandfather was trying to move my car onto the driveway, and he accidently stepped onto the gas pedal instead of the brake. My car plowed through and hopped over brick island and then crashed into his own car.

Here is what it did to his car,

and here is what it did to mine;

just a minor scrape on the bumper and a cracked foglight. No big deal right?

Well...when I looked a little closer, I noticed the engine guard underneath the car was dragging on the floor. I took it off and this is what I found:

My radiator has been pushed back and off its rubber mounts on the bottom, the AC condenser is damaged as you can see in the pics, and I am not sure what the metal bar underneath is. Is that part of the frame?
It connects on each end to where the tow hooks stick out.

I am really bummed that this happened to my SC after owning it for only a month Can anybody identify that metal beam under the AC condenser? Can it be replaced or is it going to have to be pulled? Please let me know, thanks!

Last edited by BigLSC4; 05-28-09 at 06:14 PM. Reason: pics added
Old 03-26-09, 08:41 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

well, first start by taking gramp's license away..
Old 03-26-09, 08:44 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the radiator support, literally have to disassemble the front end to change it, but it should be changed, along with your radiator and condenser. .....no license for papa
Old 03-26-09, 08:47 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Wow man that sucks. I think i said this in the last thread about a guy crashing an sc, DONT LET ANYONE DRIVE YOUR CAR. Especially not an old person.
Old 03-26-09, 08:56 PM
Timo5701
Rookie

Cut gramps some slack, wait & see how you drive at his age! So you need a new rad & condensor, not a big deal. The lower metal piece is your lower tie bar(frame, kinda) it is NOT structual (NOT, don't listen to anyone that says otherwise) all it really does is hold up the rad & condensor. It may need to be pulled but you should be able to straighten it in your driveway if you get alittle crafty. Could be much worse..........
Old 03-26-09, 09:00 PM
BigLSC4
Driver

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
well, first start by taking gramp's license away..
Originally Posted by UZZ30-SC4
Looks like the radiator support, literally have to disassemble the front end to change it, but it should be changed, along with your radiator and condenser. .....no license for papa
Originally Posted by Ryeno
Wow man that sucks. I think i said this in the last thread about a guy crashing an sc, DONT LET ANYONE DRIVE YOUR CAR. Especially not an old person.
Yea. Its about that time for gramps to stop driving. He was trying to help me move my car for street cleaning so I wouldn't get a ticket so I can't really be too upset about everything though.
Old 03-26-09, 09:01 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Timo5701
Cut gramps some slack, wait & see how you drive at his age! So you need a new rad & condensor, not a big deal. The lower metal piece is your lower tie bar(frame, kinda) it is NOT structual (NOT, don't listen to anyone that says otherwise) all it really does is hold up the rad & condensor. It may need to be pulled but you should be able to straighten it in your driveway if you get alittle crafty. Could be much worse..........
Umm...it is the radiator support, and its a much larger piece than what you see, and YES it is very important part of the cars front structure i.e. keeping everything straight
Old 03-26-09, 09:04 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Gramps insurance is gonna have to pay for this one, there's more damage than you think...... like it's going to rip the sides and B pillar out of his car and scratch yours or something? That whole front end is off axis.
Old 03-26-09, 09:04 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Cut gramps some slack, wait & see how you drive at his age!
That makes no difference. He was at fault.
Originally Posted by BigLSC4
Yea. Its about that time for gramps to stop driving. He was trying to help me move my car for street cleaning so I wouldn't get a ticket so I can't really be too upset about everything though.
Ironically a ticket would be cheaper then the cost to repair your car.
Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Gramps insurance is gonna have to pay for this one,
Does insurance even work that way? After all grandpa was drving the ops car and crashed into his own car. He's both sides of the accident. I would think unless he had the insurance were someone can hit-n-run you while your in a supermarket, you wont get any money.

Last edited by Ryeno; 03-26-09 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-26-09, 09:14 PM
Timo5701
Rookie

Umm...it is the radiator support, and its a much larger piece than what you see, and YES it is very important part of the cars front structure i.e. keeping everything straight
Ok, your a parts manager. I own a body shop. We both know what a rad support is, thin sheet metal. Structual? I sure hope not. Important in how the front end fits? Yep. Lower tie bar bent some important? Not soo much.
Old 03-26-09, 09:18 PM
Timo5701
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ryeno
That makes no difference. He was at fault.

Ironically a ticket would be cheaper then the cost to repair your car.

Does insurance even work that way? After all grandpa was drving the ops car and crashed into his own car. He's both sides of the accident. I would think unless he had the insurance were someone can hit-n-run you while your in a supermarket, you wont get any money.
As long as he has full coverage the accident should be covered under his insurance (it gets really weird when you have multiple drivers in the same household NOT on the same policy) generaly if in the same household you have to be named on the policy to be covered to drive the car. Cross your fingers.
Old 03-26-09, 09:19 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, your a parts manager. I own a body shop. We both know what a rad support is, thin sheet metal. Structual? I sure hope not. Important in how the front end fits? Yep. Lower tie bar bent some important? Not soo much.
If it was your SC would you just straighten out this part, HONESTLY. And it is structural, it helps to give the fenders rigidity from side to side twisting.
Old 03-26-09, 09:24 PM
Timo5701
Rookie

Smile

If it was your SC would you just straighten out this part, HONESTLY. And it is structural, it helps to give the fenders rigidity from side to side twisting.
I'll agree the support as a whole does that. Why do they sell the lower seperatly? I may help a little but seriously how much? You gat way more strength from your bumper reinforcement that any part of your rad support (seen any of the new PLASTIC supports that Nissan is using now? Maybe the have some really strong structual plastic?)
Old 03-26-09, 09:30 PM
UZZ30-SC4
Lexus Test Driver

I'll agree the support as a whole does that. Why do they sell the lower seperatly? I may help a little but seriously how much? You gat way more strength from your bumper reinforcement that any part of your rad support (seen any of the new PLASTIC supports that Nissan is using now? Maybe the have some really strong structual plastic?)
From an engineering aspect, just about any material can be strong as long as it is shaped properly, and have you ever tried to bend and/or break the new nissan plastic ones compared to the old metal ones!!! Those things are crazy strong, not to mention safer because they absorb energy upon impact....

You know well enough that if that lower got tweeked in the and direction in any amount the rest of that support tweeked with it, along with everything that was attached to it.
Old 03-26-09, 09:39 PM
Timo5701
Rookie

Ok, I'm not sayin his car didn't get f'd up. I'm sayin it's really not that bad. 1st check your hood gaps. Even on both sides lengthwise? Good that means your front end is still square (if not yep your screwed & need your car in shop for frame work) 2nd is your hood still flush? if yes then hood latch (upper tie bar) is not affected(pushed up by lock support, bolted to lower tie bar, maybe spot welded) & it is still just lower, still not a big deal. If your hood is sticking up yep, you need a body shop. You still gotta love more & more new cars have plastic bolt on rad supports, hence the not structual comment. Still important just not that big of a deal.

Quick Reply: SC been in an accident. have some ?'s (no 56K)