SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY: wooden shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 01:34 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice job

What are you going to do about the shift released button at the top of the OEM shifter?

PS: Sorry if you already answered it, I'm sick and not sure if I read the thread properly
Old 09-10-08, 01:31 PM
SCjzz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLK13X
Nice job

What are you going to do about the shift released button at the top of the OEM shifter?

PS: Sorry if you already answered it, I'm sick and not sure if I read the thread properly
its ok, yeah my cars the manual tranny. if i figure out how to make auto shifters, ill definitely do those for u guys!

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I'll take a look tomorrow and see the color of the wood trim, and then I'll let ya know .
u kno, i might just take the wood trim off, and sand it down, and restain it, if possible. or i might just shape my own and stain it, idk though. thats going to be another thread if anything.

i decided to take a pic of the gloss process as of right now. heres the moment u guys have been waitin for! lol

Originally Posted by Emerald
Thats a cool project you have going. Please continue to be creative!!
thanks a lot for the support emerald!

and another thank u to the rest of u guys sticking with the process!

*edit* and i think that assumption of it being darker on the top and bottom was right. its definitely darker on both. i think it gives it a nice effect though!

Last edited by SCjzz; 09-10-08 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-10-08, 02:27 PM
SCjzz
Driver

so what do you guys think?
Old 09-10-08, 02:30 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a good job. Lets see it installed in the car.
Old 09-10-08, 02:33 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good...I did something similar awhile back to a shift **** I bought on ebay....and the color was a light yellow...so I stripped it down to bare wood....using various grits. I selected Minwax Polyshade Olde Maple Gloss 0430....I thought it was the best color match available.....dipped and let dry 3 separate times...then dipped in polyurethane twice for the clear coat. The color match was pretty good...imo.

Pete

Last edited by PHML; 09-10-08 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-10-08, 04:22 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

SCJzz, take those pics further away, but zoomed in. Your camera is too close now and its way to fuzzy. Hard to tell, but the color looks fairly close
Old 09-10-08, 04:53 PM
scshinobi
Lexus Test Driver

damn good work keep it up someone should do a diy wood steering wheel
Old 09-10-08, 05:07 PM
SCjzz
Driver

SCJzz, take those pics further away, but zoomed in. Your camera is too close now and its way to fuzzy. Hard to tell, but the color looks fairly close
lol i probably did do it a little close huh lol. oh well, the second picture does great justice.

Originally Posted by scshinobi
damn good work keep it up someone should do a diy wood steering wheel
thanks dude
thought about that actually, a hell of a lot more work would have to go into it tho lol

Originally Posted by cmiller80
Looks like a good job. Lets see it installed in the car.
thanks a bunch man!
my cars in my dads shop, im still waiting for my harmonic balancer to arrive

once i get it back thts the first thing im doing.

oh and i shouldve tried the maple on it. i wanted to but i thought id listen to the mahogany request. if it doesnt match too well, it dont matter! ill just do my wood grain over. besides, the clear is cracking anyways
Old 09-10-08, 05:42 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

As I look at the wood again. From my time working with wood, it doesn't seem you sanded the sides well, explaining why the stain didn't soak in very well. The top and bottom will soak DEEP because thats where the exposed grains are. You can try the maple out, but I think maple will be TOO light compared to the stock wood color inside. GL either way .
Old 09-10-08, 05:46 PM
SCjzz
Driver

As I look at the wood again. From my time working with wood, it doesn't seem you sanded the sides well, explaining why the stain didn't soak in very well. The top and bottom will soak DEEP because thats where the exposed grains are. You can try the maple out, but I think maple will be TOO light compared to the stock wood color inside. GL either way .

any more deep in sanding the sides and id most likely end up with a totally different shape, a smaller ****, or a completely dark shift ****. i like the way its lighter on the sides and everything. it looks beautiful in person. it doesnt look fake and too perfect like the other ones you see! its not bad for diy u kno

but it really did work awesome. im glad it turned out the way it did. when i go to the shop i promise i will post pics installed. right now it is on an old ka24 shifter i had lying around.
Old 09-10-08, 05:58 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

If the clear does end up coming off, do the Polyurathane dip like PHML did. That should make last much longer, due to the fact clearcoat will wear with being touched all the time much quicker than polyurathane.
Old 09-11-08, 11:33 AM
SCjzz
Driver

ok i probably will dip it if it does come off. i have several clear coats on it. already but if it wears down...illl try it!

did you compare the stains? did they look similar?

and who wants one of these in the stain i have?? i can definitely reproduce this qualityand i can probably do 15-20 bucks, if u want the maple or walnut (or whatever) stain i need 25 cuz i gotta buy it first!

thanks for sticking with this thread and providing your opinions. you guys are the best.
Old 09-11-08, 11:42 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Actually buddy, I just checked my wood color, and it seems that the table is actually darker than the wood in my car. Could be that the wood just needs to be polished and recoated, but I think you hit the nail on the head with your stain
Old 09-11-08, 01:02 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does your camera have a Macro function?

Jonny
Old 09-11-08, 02:22 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

nice! its lookin good so far..cant wait to see it on the actual car..should look sexy as hell..i applaud your unique-ness! keep it up

Quick Reply: DIY: wooden shift knob