SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

toyomoto Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-01, 01:49 PM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

how is the toyomoto manifold made for their turbo kit?? is it a steel cast manifold??
Old 03-07-01, 04:26 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default it's iron

Iron withstands heat better than most stainless steel manifolds you see in the market. The negative is that iron oxidizes.
Old 03-07-01, 04:39 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its cast iron! I have it on my car. no breakage. Log style manifold. Extremely heavy. Doesn't flow as well as some tubular headers, but won't break. If you're looking for over 500hp though, I'd look elsewhere. Ethan has an SC300 that Sound Performance in Chicago is currently doing. His setup has a modified TT tubular manifold with equal length runners and is steel. Ethans manifold should flow quite a bit. I think this one was around $2k.

The Toyomoto manifold is good for most smaller applications, though. What you end up with this manifold is a nice fat power plateau with a broad band of power. The other manifolds will flow more air which gives greater output at higher rpm. I'm in the 3XX rwhp range now with a T60-1 and this manifold with 10psi. I still have stock exhaust. You can easily get into the 12s with this manifold, though, so it all depends on how crazy you want to get. Feel free to ask me any questions about the Toyomoto kit. I have the stage II version, and so far, its proven well built, well designed and reliable. I managed to basically drive on to the track without any prep and peel of a 13.1@108 on street tires with no fiddling at 10psi. I've not been to the dyno yet but with a weight of 3850, Drag calculators pin the hp at 325-375 based on the ET and mph. I hope to be around 12 flat later this year when I do exhaust, tune it a bit and put on and drag radials.
Old 03-07-01, 05:07 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much did it cost, done and done? is it relativly easy to up the boost? what did it include? you have an I-6 2JZ-GE right? with the intake manifold that goes over the head?
Old 03-07-01, 05:25 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, its the 2JZGE, not the Supra TT motor. The block is essentially the same and they both hold the same amount of power. The heads and intake are different with the GE head flowing better, only problem is nothing lines up with the Supra TT aftermarket parts, so you can't just add an HKS twin setup to this, the port spacing is different. Another problem is the intake being across the head, means that intercooler piping must be custom. That hard piping is one of the major costs to the Toyomoto kit... There are some 2JZ drag cars out there that use the NA motor for its distributor and head setup, the NA block accepts a powerglide tranny just fine... The intake also limits turbo size a bit, as most people with larger turbos on the NA engine will opt for a custom intake like Ethans car. I was talking to Warren Chang, the owner of Supraforums.com and owner of several supras. A couple of days ago when I ran at the track he said that Ethan has an easy 10 second car on his hands...Yikes!. Not too bad, he said he'll be in the 650rwhp range on motor alone with the SP63 turbo. I think that may be where I'm headed, with the SP63 making full boost in the 4500rpm range, still streetable.

My kit ran around $6k for 10psi max boost. I'm at a stopping point though because 10psi is the max without dropping the compression with the thicker head gasket (a pretty involved project). At that point I'll have to jump to at least 14psi to maintain the power I have now. When you're at 14+psi, you need more electronics, a better (FMIC) intercooler, etc. I'm gonna get exhaust and VPC, etc sorted out before I make the jump.

BTW the kit included everything except spare knuckles and directions...
Old 03-07-01, 05:30 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

thanx...
how much was the install extra?
Old 03-07-01, 06:44 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Default Install cost?

three knuckles two burns and one major headache.
Old 03-07-01, 06:48 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

haha, okay how much would it be if toyomoto did it?
Old 03-07-01, 06:52 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

It would probably take him 5 months to do it... Lance is pretty backed up these days. I would guess there is $2k in labor. Average upgrade shop could knock it out in 40-50 hours, although we took 70 hours. A dedicated shop would have the upgrade complete within 7 days assuming no complications.
Old 03-07-01, 07:11 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i c.......
is this kind of thing possible to DIY?
Old 03-07-01, 07:16 PM
VeilsideRSPsc
Driver

yes i think everyone likes ethans custom HKS/SP setup... ill be heading that direction later this summer... i want to boost the hell out of the T60-1 first =) need to get me a SP auto tranny also b4 i make the jump... happy boostin!

-brian
'92 veilside rsp almost turbo sc300
'01 silver is300
Old 03-07-01, 07:30 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Veilside......
Yeah, I'm with ya... from what I've heard, although considered a "small" single, the T60-1 is no slouch. There are some Supra guys that are claiming 475-550 with the 60-1. I may keep mine for quite a while. Its just so streetable. Full boost by 3k - no waiting. Makes for a quick street car. It will be one of he last components I upgrade.

Lexus Rules...

The turbo kit is not to be considered a DIY project unless you have a lot of under hood experience. If you've done brakes, timing belts, camshafts, or other moderate engine work yourself, you'd be ok with this large project. You'll also need a garage full of tools INCLUDING complete HD air tools. There are a couple of bolts that took around 650ft lbs to get off! There are also bolts that won't come loose without multiple u-joint extensions and impact type of torque applied to them. Plus, toyomoto instructions have no pictures and assume that a mechanic is performing the work. You'll also be sleeping with the SC300 shop manual under your pillow for about a week.

Old 03-08-01, 05:09 AM
wolfy187
Pole Position

Question wow so much response

by the way i talked to SP where ethan is getting is manifold done. He said he might be putting the manifold out with a downpipe done for around $2k for anyone who is interested. I will be probably only going about 10psi. I will have a fmic done but here's my other concern. besides the basic kit, turbo oil return, wastegate and BOV. What else will i need so i don't have to worry about reliability???
Old 03-08-01, 07:01 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

You'll need the Supra TT inline fuel pump. Unfortunately, you'll need a custom or TT? (don't know if the TT intake works on the NA head) intake system as well because the header puts the turbo high up in the way of the stock intake. With the new intake, you'll need either of the two 1. an injection controller with a couple extra injectors or 2. larger injectors and a VPC or other device to control them.

With extra injectors, the basic haltec injector controller is too simple to provide the necessary fuel curve to keep the engine running smoothly above 9psi. You end up needing more fuel at top RPM to cool the engine and keep detonation away. That means that you're running rich down low, and that causes the engine to buck. If you get an APEXI S-AFC or VPC or similar, you can tune this out. My car ran flawlessly at 6psi, with no bucking, but I wanted to push it and ended up running rich, (but necessarily rich). You could also avoid this by lowering the compression ratio with a new head gasket to control the detonation.
Old 03-08-01, 08:18 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

just so you know..the sc300 that lance just finished with a T62 turbo dynoed right at 600 rear wheel with the log style manifold.....SP is doing a nice job on ethans car but thats alot of custom work involved....big bucks..re doing the manifold and everything......if you can put 550 rear wheel in a lexus i think you will have all youll ever need.....after having 440 rear wheel i have been happy for 2 years..now im looking for a lil more...we will see where it lands me...Jeff

Quick Reply: toyomoto Manifold