SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Question for the turbo-minded?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-01, 02:42 PM
LexusPilot

Question

I know this is not a Lexus but...

Anyone have any ideas about the tunability of the Subaru Impreza WRX? Think it could be tweaked up to 300hp pretty easily? A friend of mine in Colorado thought it would make a Kicka$$ awd grocery getter. I couldn't answer his questions but told him I knew some guys at Clublexus SCforum that know a lot about forced induction.

I apologize for the off-Lexus-Topic post, but I did not want to fool around with finding clubsubaru or whatever, and I already trust the opinions here
Old 03-27-01, 02:53 PM
FastSC300

yes, it is easy to make more horsepower with those cars.

Boost controller (more boost)
down pipe
larger intercooler
bigger turbo
etc.

these cars are quick around the track, I have seen them. Probably the biggest improvement would be a high flow downpipe and high flow cat as well as a cat back exhaust.

In Japan these cars are rated at the max there gov't allows 287hp

SH
Old 03-29-01, 04:11 PM
mindflux
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus Pilot sorry for the delayed response. I may, I repeat may buy a WRX.

In the US the Subaru has yet to become an icon of speed and handling...Yet elsewhere in the world this little car is making history.

I will be attending a meeting tonight about 10:30 where 3 2001 WRX models always show up and a 1999 highly modded Impreza turbo hang about. I'll ask some questions for you. These are bar far the best handlers and fastest cars in the meeting, besides all the other SLOW cars (camaros, supras, lexi, etc) you get my point. The Imprezas are the dominating vehicles and at factory specs are in upwards the 280HP so 300hp levels are out of the question as these folks have been boosting well over 400hp with just simple bolt ons to gain more cheap boost. Spending $ in the engine has been no prob. for the 1999 impreza and that car just plain old rocks. AWD and over 500hp on a light car is no match (except for a blown tranny) for anybody driving a $100,000 car here so I seldom see the Vipers and Porsches messing with them.

If you seek answers to the newly released (always kept secret) Subaru impreza turbo WRX I suggest you also go to the Australian forums for answers...the Australian folks have been involved with Subarus much longer than anybody.

Also on another note. The WRX as all the subaru 4 bangers have a boxer type engine similar to the porsche design with awesome rally winning AWD technology. A bit ahead of any contender in the market.

The WRX full extra is going for $30,000 here so humm it is defenitely your awesome grocery getter. Only problem is that it is still a small car and looks are a bit outdated. It's history worldwide kind of reminds me when the buick GNX was around. An ugly car with a PHAT engine.

Mind
Old 03-29-01, 04:45 PM
FastSC300

Mindflux,

as for the US versions they only came with approximately 228hp from the factory.
It will take some serious mods to make it compete with some cars like a BPU supra TT or Vipers, etc. Major mods to play with a Single turbo supra. I aggree they handle great as most all wheel cars do, but AWD soaks power on the top end...so I dont see the WRX being a major beast on the highway, even highly modified ones. Why do you think porsche came out with the GT2 twin turbo porsche...to have better top end that's why. Besides it's boxy, real boxy, I wonder what the drag coeficient is???

Scot hail
Old 03-30-01, 10:12 AM
mindflux
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeap where I live the races are mostly twisty races instead of top end...so the subaru is a god choice. Also those subarus are also very boxy and unstable at high speed so it depends on what you want. It's defenitely not a highway car nor should it compete with the big dogs...but on the twisties man do they rock!

Too bad the US version comes so detuned...man that suxs.

Went to the meeting and nobody showed up from the subaru crowd. Well maybe next Thursday.

Mind