SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New Performance Products for the SC300/GS300!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-01, 04:16 PM
Al
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Performance Products for the SC300/GS300!

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce MPH Unlimited, we are an import tuner and specialize in supra's 300zx's, eclipse, lexus and a lot more.

We just finished prototyping a downpipe for the Lexus SC300 which should fit on the GS300 and the non turbo supra as well.

We have very good results on the v6 eclipse's so we went ahead and tried it on the SC300.

We gained an extra 12.5 horsepower and 22.7 ft lbs of torque. Keep in mind this was done on a bone stock 92 sc300 with the automatic transmission. The car pulls harder from the stop light all the way up to the redline.

We will post a picture of the downpipe and the dyno sheets in the next few days.

Price for the downpipe is $329.00 plus shipping.

If anyone is interested in more information or to purchase one please call us at (805)578-8551 or e-mail us at sales@mphunlimited.com

We are also working on headers and a few turbo kit options for the sc300/gs300 and NA supra's.

Thanx. AL
Old 12-20-01, 05:55 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

hey, hopefully this product is available for a 98 SC3 and will not void the warranty. If that is the case, where can I send the money?
Old 12-20-01, 07:24 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call me leary, but I believe I may have a valid point here.

But technically aren't downpipes made for turbocharged motors, and headers for normally-aspirated motors? I would think twice before I send money to somebody who I think would know the difference between the two.
Old 12-20-01, 08:07 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Would there be a possibility of headers for Sc400?
Old 12-21-01, 07:42 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by moshlub
Call me leary, but I believe I may have a valid point here.

But technically aren't downpipes made for turbocharged motors, and headers for normally-aspirated motors? I would think twice before I send money to somebody who I think would know the difference between the two.
I think what they are considering a downpipe is a pipe that replaces everything after the exhaust manifold. In fact I think thats the true definition of it.
Old 12-21-01, 09:00 AM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Bean

I think what they are considering a downpipe is a pipe that replaces everything after the exhaust manifold. In fact I think thats the true definition of it.
I appreciate you standing in for MPH, but I believe the very thing you described is a bypass, not a downpipe.
Old 12-21-01, 10:54 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

I've heard of them called downpipes before too. It's after the headers/exhaust manifold until where the cat woud be.
Old 12-24-01, 03:06 AM
Al
Driver School Candidate

We have removed the cats and made a "downpipe" that bolts into the stock manifold and runs all the way back to the cat back exhaust system. It will bolt right on to the stock exhaust or any after market system.

We put about 500 miles on the car and the added power is there and felt. You will notice a difference from the very low RPM's all the way up to red line. On the freeway passing has become much easier and overall the car is much more fun to drive.

The downpipe did change the way the car sounds, its louder and deeper then it was before, gives it a little more of a V8 tone, its not loud enough to get you pulled over but you will be noticed.

We will offer the downpipe in 2 version, one with a high flow cat for the price of $399.00 and one without a high flow cat for the price of $329.00. A downpipe with a high flow cat will keep the sound down and will give it just a slight increase in the sound over stock.

Next project will be to design the headers for the sc/gs300's series.

We would love to make products for the SC/GS400 but dont have a car to work on. If anyone would be interested in volunteering their car for a few days/weeks/months (depends on the project) for us to do the fitting and testing then we will be able to make pretty much any performance upgrade you would want. In the future we are planing to turbo charge the SC/GS400, so let us know if you are willing to help. Of course to those who will help us by volunteering their car we will give you the product for free of charge and installation.

Here is the link to the dyno sheets, enjoy!

http://community.webshots.com/album/27426282wXGTeqkzNY

If anyone has any questions please call us at (805)578-8551 or e-mail us at sales@mphunlimited.com

Thanx. AL
Old 12-24-01, 07:09 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate you standing in for MPH, but I believe the very thing you described is a bypass, not a downpipe.
Bypass??? Never heard that in association with a normally aspirated engine... What is it bypassing?

I think there are some good gains to be had with this setup... The stock piping is very small and the precats rob power. This is one case where I'd even believe the HP claims. I don't feel that the stock exhaust after the Cat is all that restrictive- I easily made 400+ with the stock mufflers...

I'd assume this system is stainless and uses mandrel bends... There is no real way you can hurt the car or cause any damage to an engine by means of freer flowing exhaust.

I'm wondering with the increased flow, did the dyno runs include any kind of fuel tuning? Any time you increase the exhaust flow, you have to increase the fuel flow equally in order to gain the most HP.
Old 12-26-01, 05:11 PM
Al
Driver School Candidate

No, we haven't done anything with the fuel curve yet. With an S-AFC you should be able to gain more horsepower with the downpipe if tuned correctly. We did a before and after dyno runs to see how much we gain with the DP alone.

Thanx. AL
Old 12-26-01, 06:42 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Doesn't 145 rwhp seem too low even for an sc300. I thought people were getting near 175 out of them. That car sounds like it needs a tune up.

Raj
Old 12-26-01, 08:10 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

haha removing the cat for a street car is a federal offense I don't think they enforce it anymore, but in CA if you have one of these pipes you're gonna get sent to a ref station and busted.
Also, 145 is low, but note that the car is a '92 SC300, and those motors are pre-VVTi.
Old 12-27-01, 08:25 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This IS an automatic don't forget

I know the manuals make around 175-180rwhp... but the slushomatics on an older 92 would prolly yield the advertised hp...

what i'm wondering is, why was the "before" dynorun gunned late at around 3800rpms while the "after" dynorun was gunned at around 3000? that would definitely screw up the torque peak numbers...

the hp numbers should fit that though... but what i find odd is it made 155rwhp at 6500rpms. while the stock run made its power at only 6000rpms.... odd...
Old 12-27-01, 11:52 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn it, if only I had a dyno sheet from the peak runs. My car peaked out at 177 rwhp and 186 rwtq with Iridium sparkplugs. Otherwise it was stock. Currently I have 197 rwhp with S-AFC. When I get rims, do cam timeing, and get exchaust I will re-tune the AFC and post the dyno run of peak runs. On another note, peak runs don't mean too much. It's a way of telling how much power your car can reach, but it's the curve itself that as important. There is a reason why cars like S2000 and M3 with not much power is fast.