SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hoe easy/difficult is it to steal an SC400

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-01, 03:09 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gps is a good idea if what your worried about is your whole car being stolen.... Only problem is 1) expensive as hell 2) Wont do any good if someone jacks your stereo, rims, ground effects, or whatever other gadgets you might have on your car, and thats what Im most worried about. 99% of car theft is stealing **** out of the car, not the car itself (although that does not classify as car theft, what Im trying to say is if someones gonna steal something its likely your car parts)

Jason
Old 10-18-01, 05:26 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.compustar.org/

with this you can turn off the speaker, the alarm still on and the remote act as the pager to tell you what happening to the car. Provided that you are in range. It can remote start the car too.
Old 10-18-01, 07:05 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can we please stop talking about how to defeat the security on our cars? I would like to keep mine.
Old 10-18-01, 07:56 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Hermosa
Can we please stop talking about how to defeat the security on our cars? I would like to keep mine.
NO BODY is talking about how to steal the Lexus here, why are you guy so afraid of...
Lexus factory alarm is nothing great. It just has the different key so it is harder to steal that's all. If anyone want your car that bad, they'll get it. The Corvette is very difficult to steal and they still got stolen. So don't tell me your Lexus with factory alarm is good enough.

I WANT TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU GUY MEAN WHEN YOU ANSWER "WTF"

We just asking ways to improve on the alarm so that our cars is safer when we park away from home.

If someone told you how to defeat the lexus alarm, I doub that 80% of this forum know what that guy is talking about.

I want to put a better alarm to my SC400 so I feel safer when I park it somewhere outside of my house that's all. If you want to keep your factory alarm keep it. This tread is for who wants to improve on the security of their cars.
Old 10-18-01, 08:59 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Whats this talk about a different key.? this may tottaly be opposite of what you were talking about , but when I bought my car a few months ago, they guy I bought it from handed me 3 heys, 2 of which were the mains ones with the built in keyless entry, the third of which was a key that he explained that he had no idea as to what it did. Ive tried that third key on everything (doors, ignition,trunk, and I cant seem to figure it out......... (its still laser cut but does not look like main key)

Jason
Old 10-18-01, 09:22 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

hey jason, it might be the valet key.
Old 10-19-01, 04:45 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Who has mentioned ANYTHING about defeating the security system of our cars. We have been discussing the EXACT OPPOSITE . We are trying to improve the security of our cars by upgrading the stock system.

Besides, there are internet sites out there that do nothing but discuss how to steal our cars, so in our defense, cut us all some slack. We want to protect our cars from theives, not become them.

Keith
Old 10-19-01, 06:43 AM
Andymi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the responses.

I agree that the thieves know all of this stuff anyway.

Anything we can so to complicate their lives is a worth while endeavor.

Some of the tracking systems are just too expensive, but a cutoff relay is cheap and effective.

So again thank you to all of those who care about protecting their cars.
Old 10-19-01, 08:22 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Stop freaking out guys, it was not a serious comment.
Old 10-19-01, 11:15 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Stop freaking out guys, it was not a serious comment.
Old 10-19-01, 09:19 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Did you guys see "Gone in 60 Secs ?" That movie was all about stealing cars. I don't recall any bans on that movie but, I see that talking about a delicate subject matter may encourage some people that may or may not know vulnerabilities of auto security to steal. It may also encourage petty theft such, as the all-popular Lexus LS foglights. I just wanted put my 0.02 but am neutral on this issue. Don't get me wrong.
Old 10-20-01, 01:24 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

pardon my ignorance, but what does the valet key do?

Jason
Old 10-20-01, 02:03 PM
black sc
Pole Position

It's for valet parking. It doesn't open glove copartment or trunk so, you can leave valuables insiide locked. There is a lock for the trunk in front where latch is for releasing it fron the inside of the car. There is a lock cylinder You can lock the trunk with one of the main keys by putting it in that cylinder
Old 10-20-01, 08:10 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Those GM alarms with the encoded key are a snap to steal.....if you've ever bought a newer car alarm uninstalled (new in the box) they come with the little resistors needed to bypass that, those are there so you can have remote-start on them too.

But that's just the cheap way, for about $300 in the back of a few nameless magazines you can just buy the resistance device that will automagically pick the right resistance when you plug it into the diags ports and disable it. Neato!

Any good thief will bypass any alarm in 15 seconds. Best bet is a paging alarm, LoJack or Boomerang, be careful of where you park your car, and above ALL, replace your side-glass with Lexan or get the break proof coating. 95% of stolen cars are taken after the thief broke the side window with a rock. Make them break proof, now you just gotta worry about the other 5%.

SR