SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

squeaky brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-01, 10:50 AM
astoch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry squeaky brakes

I need some help. The brakes on my 92 were squeaking when I purchased the car. I replaced the pads on all four corners and turned all four rotors. The squeak is still there, and it's making me crazy... There were two backing plates on all the pads, but I never had any springs to deal with.. Is there something missing on my car? I read a thread that talked about replacing pins or springs, does anyone have a part number? Is there something else I need to check?
Thx - Aaron
Old 10-16-01, 12:01 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the pads with the Lexus OEM pads? My brakes used to squeak bad, they weren't worn down or anything. Someone told me to use the OEM pads so I had some OEM pads put in and the squeaking stopped.
Old 03-14-02, 10:13 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default "V" shaped springs are part of the brake assembly

The brake pads are indeed supposed to be separated by small "V" shaped springs (2 per wheel) that insert into holes in the pads.

The problem is, they are a real hassle to re-insert. There is hardly any clearance between the caliper housing and the pads, so inserting them proved to be so difficult, that I gave up. Others have said the same thing (see https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=17811), and while it would be nice to have them, they don't seem to be absolutely necessary.

In any case, they can't have anything to do with your squeaking problem, if the noise appears when you apply the brakes. All they do is help separate the pads when the brakes are released, presumably to cut down on rolling friction. This sort is friction is minimal, compared to everything else in the car that creates rolling resistance. Under ideal conditions, those springs may also retract the pad a millimeter or so away from the rotor after the brake petal is released, creating a slight cooling effect.

I'd love to hear from anyone who figured out the "trick" to re-inserting those springs, but in the meantime I'm not losing any sleep over their absence in my SC.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 03-14-02 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-15-02, 05:54 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

PERRYinLA,

I just put the new front pads in. I didn't have too much of the problem putting the V-shaped springs in. There are two bolts (17) for the caliper housing, but then there are two other ones (14) for the caliper only. What I do is, take one 14 bolt out leaving the other one in. Then I shift the caliper enough to gain the access to the pads. The springs are right there. I take them out, take out the shims, remove old pads, install the new ones, put the shims back in, and reinstall the springs.

Hopefully this will help,
Old 03-15-02, 09:47 AM
vuvu
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

Mine are squeaking as well and I think I need to OEM pads. Do you know the cost of the OEM pads for front + rear? Thanks.
Old 03-15-02, 11:20 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

I was quoted $59.95 for the each front wheel by my dealership. I've heard $89.95 by the other one I called.

Check with Steve (SupraTRD) and see what he can do for you.

Last edited by ChrisK; 03-15-02 at 11:23 AM.