SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

AAAAHHHH!!!!! CD Changer Problem... Plz Help Me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-01, 09:43 PM
SC_Speed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

For some reason the cartridge in my 12-CD changer doesn't want to eject. Everything works fine except there is no way to get the cds out!!! As you can imagine, the three cd's stuck in there are starting to get a little old. Is there some trick to getting the cartridge to eject? I dont get any error messages or anything. The one thing I found odd was that in the manual it says when you presss the eject button the light should illuminate, but on mine the light is always on. Is that normal? I remember the first time I got it to open the light was on, but whenI pressed the eject button it blinked and then when I opened the cover... bada-bing badda-boom it ejected. Anyway... I reeeeaaaalllllyyy need to get some new tunes in my car so any input would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-23-01, 12:19 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

You have to hold the button down for a couple seconds. Then the light will blink. Wait for it to stop blinking. Then open the door and the cartridge will come out.
Old 07-23-01, 09:20 AM
mrKophee
Driver School Candidate

Yes, holding the button should do the trick, if not there is a sensor for the door (forgot exactly where) if that is broken is will not eject, try pushing the door shut and holding it tightly. Unfortunately it is near impossible to take it apart because the screws are in the cd tray compartment. You may want to take it out, (3 screws and 2 cables - easy) and take it to an electronics repair shop. I would not take it to the dealer, they will charge you an arm and a leg. Mine needed some adjustments (had errors) and they wanted $450. I got a used one from someone for $150. Try finding the door sensor, maybe cleaning it?
Old 07-23-01, 11:46 AM
MrWigggles
Rookie

The 12 disc CD changer can get fooled on occasion.

Your simpliest solution is to try and reset the unit.

With your car turned off, slide open the lid on the CD unit. On one of the internal walls inside the unit, there is a small recessed button that says "reset". Push that button with a ball point pin and then close the CD lid. You should here the unit in action and the CD's will rise to the top.

If this doesn't work, the lid closed sensor that Slick is talking about is probably the problem. A refurbished unit is about $525 from your dealer. New units, which are hard if not impossible to come by, are about $1100

Good luck,

-Mr. Wigggles