SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Want to purchase a used 93 SC400, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-05, 11:12 AM
jkrd101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Want to purchase a used 93 SC400, need advice

I am interested in purchasing a 93 SC400, around 50k miles from a private individual, his asking price is $11,000 .

My RX300 developed engine sludge problems around 45k, and my LS400 had some mechanical engine problems on 60k (it may be ECU related, but I got rid of it), these were purchased brand new and after awhile I experienced problems, thats why I am so paranoid about buying a used SC300 or 400.

Do you guys recommend me taking the used SC to a Lexus dealer to have it throughly inspected, or by a mechanic? If so, around how much would it cost? I am not mechanically inclined so I need any professional advice I can get. How did you guys make a safe purchase on your SC300/400's?

I have done a search, and looked at the FAQ on other SC sites, but I think they lack on giving used SC purchasing experience. But for the time being, I will keep looking
Old 09-01-05, 11:46 AM
supercoupes
Lead Lap

Personally, I'd take it to a dealership if possible. Like you, I don't feel confident enough to thoroughly check out used cars. How much that costs in the US, I don't have any idea, sorry.

Things to look for in the SC (that I know of) are:

- Timing belt
- Power steering pump
- Alternator
- Engine / transmission mounts
- Door hinges

As far as I know, problems (if any) with any of the above items will typically come up at a higher mileage (> 100k). I have a 93 with approx. 130k. No problems, but I did the timing belt and power steering pump as preventive maintenance and will do the engine / tranny mounts very soon.

If you wait a little longer, the experts will add to this (or correct me )
Old 09-01-05, 11:50 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

getting a used car checked out by a mechanic is ALWAYS recommended.

I read somewhere that dealers charge $100 for the inspection. call them and ask.
Old 09-01-05, 11:55 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkrd101
I am interested in purchasing a 93 SC400, around 50k miles from a private individual, his asking price is $11,000 .

My RX300 developed engine sludge problems around 45k, and my LS400 had some mechanical engine problems on 60k (it may be ECU related, but I got rid of it), these were purchased brand new and after awhile I experienced problems, thats why I am so paranoid about buying a used SC300 or 400.

Do you guys recommend me taking the used SC to a Lexus dealer to have it throughly inspected, or by a mechanic? If so, around how much would it cost? I am not mechanically inclined so I need any professional advice I can get. How did you guys make a safe purchase on your SC300/400's?

I have done a search, and looked at the FAQ on other SC sites, but I think they lack on giving used SC purchasing experience. But for the time being, I will keep looking
since the car has 50K miles, only minor maintenance has been done. Expect to pay for the major 60K service. of it's exceptionally clean, i'd pick it up just because it has 50K miles.
Old 09-01-05, 12:07 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definately recommend have a certified Lexus mechanic look the car over, especially if you are not that mechanically inclined. But I must ask 1 question. You have owned 2 previous Lexus vehicles, and both have developed engine issues at very low mileages. Without sounding disrespectful, are you servicing your vehicle regularly? A good portion of us on this board, especially us SC 300-400 owners and 2x,3x, up to 5x, the mileage you had on your vehicles and they continue to run strong for us. I myself am about to hit 188k on my SC and she purrs like a kitten. Mind you, the oil is changed every 3-4k miles with high quality synthetic and she gets a tune-up and filter changes when she needs it.
Old 09-01-05, 12:34 PM
jkrd101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkorsu
I would definately recommend have a certified Lexus mechanic look the car over, especially if you are not that mechanically inclined. But I must ask 1 question. You have owned 2 previous Lexus vehicles, and both have developed engine issues at very low mileages. Without sounding disrespectful, are you servicing your vehicle regularly? A good portion of us on this board, especially us SC 300-400 owners and 2x,3x, up to 5x, the mileage you had on your vehicles and they continue to run strong for us. I myself am about to hit 188k on my SC and she purrs like a kitten. Mind you, the oil is changed every 3-4k miles with high quality synthetic and she gets a tune-up and filter changes when she needs it.
I appreciate all your responses , I contacted my local Lexus dealer (Prestige Lexus, NJ), to check over the car, it takes 1hour therefore $100. How would I convince the owner that I take his car to the dealership even though I didnt purchase it yet?

I have not seen his car yet in person, will see it in the weekend, I have been reading as much as possible and gathering info before I see him.

Regarding my RX300, there was a national campaign to repair engines caused by oil sludge which accumulates on the valve covers. I changed the oil ever 6000 miles recommended by the Lexus dealer, and minor and major services have been done.

I am not sure what really caused the problems with the 90 LS400, becasue it was my parents car. The oil was changed frequently also, and major maintance were done, the exact problem was TRAC light was illumanted with severe loss of power, it was casued my ECU.

*I mentioned before his asking price was $11,000, do you think its fair? KBB says private party value in "good" condition should be $8525

Last edited by jkrd101; 09-01-05 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-01-05, 12:38 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

I appreciate all your advices, I contacted my local Lexus dealer (Prestige Lexus, NJ), to check over throughly the car, it takes 1hour therefore $100. How would I convince the owner that I take his car to the dealership even though I didnt purchase it yet?

I have not seen his car yet in person, will see it in the weekend, I have been reading as much as possible and gathering info before I see him.

Regarding my RX300, there was a national campaign to repair engines caused by oil sludge which accumulates on the valve covers. I changed the oil ever 6000 miles recommended by the Lexus dealer, and minor and major services have been done.

I am not sure what really caused the problems with the 90 LS400, becasue it was my parents car. The oil was changed frequently also, and major maintance were done, the exact problem was TRAC light was illumanted with severe loss of power, it was casued my ECU.

Sounds like plain bad luck!!! Well, third time's a charm!!! I hope all comes back fine with the SC review! Welcome to the rewarding world of SC ownership!!! And welcome to CL!!!

BTW, where in Jersey are you?
Old 09-01-05, 12:42 PM
jkrd101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Sounds like plain bad luck!!! Well, third time's a charm!!! I hope all comes back fine with the SC review! Welcome to the rewarding world of SC ownership!!! And welcome to CL!!!

BTW, where in Jersey are you?
I am in the Bergen county area, mkorsu which SC do you have, and what year is it? I heard the 60k major service can be $$$
Old 09-01-05, 12:46 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

I am in the Bergen county area, mkorsu which SC do you have, and what year is it? I heard the 60k major service can be $$$

I have the SC400, 1992. The 60k is expensive, as is ALL maintenance on a Lexus. Which is why I do all my work myself!!! If you need a hand with anything, just yell out.

If your Bergen Cty, you're probably not too far from CL memeber TLW and some others. I'm in Middlesex county. Right in the corner where Middlesex, Somerset, & Union counties meet.
Old 09-01-05, 08:35 PM
salimshah

Received 1,006 Likes on 909 Posts

I appreciate all your responses , I contacted my local Lexus dealer (Prestige Lexus, NJ), to check over the car, it takes 1hour therefore $100. How would I convince the owner that I take his car to the dealership even though I didnt purchase it yet?

*I mentioned before his asking price was $11,000, do you think its fair? KBB says private party value in "good" condition should be $8525
For SC400 the asking price seems high. Ask the seller to provide all maintainance records. if all
services have been done and the car is in perfect condition including tires + battery + spare + tools + all keys ... the top price would be 10000 for the milage.

Keep in mind the seller (if he is the orignal owner) paid a lot more when he bought it new. At the same time if the seller takes it for a trade-in, it will not fetch more than 7500.

Having the car inspected is a good option and it will cost you from $80 to $500. Just ask them if they would stand behind the inspection they did such as A/C breaksdown the day after purchase etc.

Salim
Old 09-01-05, 09:06 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

JKRD101 and I live not too far from each other (northern Bergen County), so we're about 15-20 minutes driving (locally) from TLW.

Jae, give me a call when you see this or after lunchtime tomorrow. I think you're better off if you want wait for a little while. You can't really rush into a used car purchase because you're forced to pick from the current selection (which seems to suck at this moment).

-Brian.