SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

tail light bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-05, 03:10 PM
dhnash
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 168 bulbs draw slightly more current than the 192's (.35 Amps versus .33 Amps) which is why they "fixed" the tail lamp fault problem. The lifetime on the 168's is 1500 hours compared to 2000 hours for the 192's, so if you use the 168's you may be changing bulbs more frequently.
Old 03-23-05, 05:21 PM
96sc3
Lead Lap

well.,, the thing was those 192's were no where to be found,
i can't find it at any retail.,.,
oh wellz.. its easy to change anyway
Old 03-15-06, 01:17 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhnash
The 168 bulbs draw slightly more current than the 192's (.35 Amps versus .33 Amps) which is why they "fixed" the tail lamp fault problem. The lifetime on the 168's is 1500 hours compared to 2000 hours for the 192's, so if you use the 168's you may be changing bulbs more frequently.
I upgraded from 95 tail to 97+ that has one bulb short on each side. 95 had three bulbs and 97 has only two. Sure, warning light came on.
Do you thing that by switching to 168 bulbs will fix this problem (to turn off this warning light in dash) since they will draw more current?
Old 03-15-06, 03:53 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by techsc400
I upgraded from 95 tail to 97+ that has one bulb short on each side. 95 had three bulbs and 97 has only two. Sure, warning light came on.
Do you thing that by switching to 168 bulbs will fix this problem (to turn off this warning light in dash) since they will draw more current?
I HIGHLY doubt it. Just ignore the light. Its not that hard.
Old 03-16-06, 09:20 AM
2JZSoarer
Pole Position

I don't know...I have this problem too...well, I don't consider it a problem...but I just ignore it when it comes on...b/c i know all my bulbs turn on...just don't worry about it if you know your bulbs are good....just think of that indicator is telling you your lights are on...
Old 05-10-06, 07:31 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I searched and searched

On SC300. I just put the spoiler with the LED 3rd light on it and swapped out the Subwoofer speaker cover with the 3rd light to the plain cover. Ithe tail light warning signal is on for obvious reasons. Anyway to correct the light issue or just live with it. I never pulled the cluster before so I would rather not try to just pull the bulb. I really did search. all I found were bulb issues that caused the light to come on.
Regards,
Lloyd
Old 06-04-07, 06:31 PM
mr29rose
Pole Position

i am wondering, can the light go on if one of the l.e.d lights in the spoiler goes dead?
thanks
Old 06-04-07, 11:12 PM
VegasSC300
Driver

This is a very easy fix. I had the exact same problem with my sc300. Even my mechanic was ready to change the harness out on my tail light assembly once I put in bulbs from an auto parts store. My cousin the body shop guy told me what was wrong with the tail light indicator staying on after I started my car.

All you need to go to a Lexus dealer and buy their OEM light bulbs. They cost more but it will take care of your problem. Don't use any other bulbs because you will only chase your tail trying to fix the problem. And yes the yellow dash lite will not go on when you start your car, and you can enjoy your ride again.
Old 06-04-07, 11:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasSC300
This is a very easy fix. I had the exact same problem with my sc300. Even my mechanic was ready to change the harness out on my tail light assembly once I put in bulbs from an auto parts store. My cousin the body shop guy told me what was wrong with the tail light indicator staying on after I started my car.

All you need to go to a Lexus dealer and buy their OEM light bulbs. They cost more but it will take care of your problem. Don't use any other bulbs because you will only chase your tail trying to fix the problem. And yes the yellow dash lite will not go on when you start your car, and you can enjoy your ride again.
oh my god, you are nuts...

a bulb is a bulb is a bulb, so long as voltage, amperage, and packaging is the same...

do you really think the Lexus dealers carry Lexus branded bulbs... they carry some brand that is available elsewhere...
Old 06-06-07, 09:05 PM
VegasSC300
Driver

Wrong Mistuguy!!!!!! A bulb is not a bulb all the time! The markings on the OEM bulbs are from Japan with Japanese writing and marks on them with no packaging. And your right they are available elsewhere .....all over Japan. They also are made to the specs for a Lexus. Da that's why Lexus buys them. Other bulbs should work but getting OEM bulbs will for sure solve the dash light problem.

Auto zone looked up my car in their computer and gave me the bulbs the computer said would work in my car. Auto zone also gave me a big head-ace with a dash lite problem.

If you have a dash lite problem, who has time to compare every bulb produced by a company and pray it will match. Spend a few bucks more and solve the problem asap.

Buy the way I am not nuts ......only logical, but I like the rims on your SC.

Last edited by VegasSC300; 06-06-07 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-07-07, 04:54 AM
ccotenj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VegasSC300
Wrong Mistuguy!!!!!! A bulb is not a bulb all the time! The markings on the OEM bulbs are from Japan with Japanese writing and marks on them with no packaging. And your right they are available elsewhere .....all over Japan. They also are made to the specs for a Lexus. Da that's why Lexus buys them.
i think it's highly unlikely that lexus (toyota, actually) specs out their bulbs and has someone make "special lexus bulbs"...

they have japanese markings on them because the generic bulb factory is cranking them out for a japanese marque... they aren't "packaged" for retail sale because they are getting them in bulk...

i hate to tell you this, but an electrical system doesn't "know" it's in a lexus and "prefer" lexus items... like mitsu said, all conditions being equal, a bulb is a bulb... spend more if you like (hell, it's a bulb, it can't cost THAT much more, although knowing lexus, it COULD), but functionally, the dealer bulb isn't buying you anything...

as far as will it go on if "one" of the led's is out? i would find that unlikely, since the current draw of an individual led is quite small... i'd think that would be within the tolerance of the fault...
Old 06-09-07, 09:43 PM
VegasSC300
Driver

Another Einstein!.... I hate to tell you this but what you just told me is "the very obvious". Except for the fact that the electrical system is so sophisticated it can actually tell the difference, and the the bulbs are made to Toyota specs.

They just don't buy what's the cheapest at the time. And the bulbs aren't special, they are just manufactured to the standard specs required for that vehicle and are tighter in voltage tolerance than some bulbs from other manufactures. Come on... have some common sense about manufactured products in the world.

Every part in a Lexus goes thru testing before product release and during production years. If it does not work in the vehicle they don't buy the part.

Also this information was giving to me by the Lexus service manager and parts manager. I told them both what problem I was having at the time, and they told me others have had the same problem in the past.

Most bulbs from an auto parts store will work well in a Lexus but some won't.

And for last... go look at a LEXUS OEM bulb and one from any auto parts store and you can visually see the OEM bulb looks like a better quality made bulb.

But I guess you are entitled to your opinion.