When Trucks Don't Stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-05, 04:09 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
Each to their own.

So would you say your statement is still correct when there's no traffic in front of her as in my situation?

Let's hope someone rear ends the crap outta me so I can say it's 100% their fault next time hey
My statement still stands even if there is NO traffic in front of her. She has the right of way. What if there was an animal on the road that she had to stop for? When you checked for traffic and saw that there was NO TRAFFIC coming, why didn't you look forward when you pulled out? Do you think traffic will all of a sudden appear if you keep looking down the road?

You should ALWAYS look in the direction you're going. Checking for traffic is one thing, but come on dude, after you're done checking traffic (2 seconds???) shouldn't your head be looking out the front windshield?

If someone decides to rear end you, I'm almost confident that that person will be at fault. There should be no reason why he/she can't stop in time (especially going slower than 25MPH or 25km/hr).

Again, I'm not trying to be an A-hole, but it was your fault. Your poor driving skills/judgement caused the accident. It really doesn't matter what she was doing. Be a defensive driver next time. Always expect the un-expected.
Old 03-14-05, 09:21 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I think the damage is going to be far more than I orriginally thought. The entire front of the car is shifted over. Not just the bumper. The driver side quarter panel is moved, the entire front passanger side of the car is sitting down about 3" lower than the driver's side. On a good note, my airbags did not deploy and the car drivers perfectly straight with no vibrations, no engine noise, and no abmornal feel.

So, I don't think I have frame damage, but I know just about 99% of the front will have to be replaced.

I figure in the $7,000-8,000 range. Progressive (my insurance) says the car is still worth well in the $14k-15k range so I might not get it totalled.
Hey, I come bearing the gift of hope i suppose. Apparently I've done this a few times lately. But, my car was crashed a year and a half ago and my damage (see below) was terrible. The auto body shop and the Insurance company BB the car value at just about $9600. After the initial estimate of $7700, I thought for sure my car was done! Yet, thanks to some force unknown to me, this was not the case. They fixed up the car, a complete rebuild of the front end cosmetically, including a few engine components, AC condensor, radiatior...a lot of the stuff that's just in the front of the block there. Anyways, long story short, as they are fixing the car (as will happen to you I assume) they discovered more damage that was not so visible during the initial estimate, bringing total cost of repairs to $8500 or so. To the point, the car was not totalled. A lot of the cost was due to location and reputation of the auto body shop, but DO NOT LOSE HOPE!! Anything is possible when it comes to this situation, I suppose.
That bubble in the tire is where I hit the curb. Surprisingly there was no damage to the suspension and the rim was not bent either. Damage to the suspension would have totalled my car.

Old 03-14-05, 10:08 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the hope. I love my car! I don't want it to be totalled.

They say the Retail Value is around $15,500.00 and the damage looks to be around $6,000.

I hope it comes back ok, but if not, say hi to a new 06 AWD GS owner
Old 03-14-05, 03:06 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

glad everyone's alright........
Old 03-14-05, 03:06 PM
Din
Lexus Champion

once a body shops already starts working on a car and even though later they find more damages to the car and it cost more money and the total comes close to blue book value of the car. The insurance compnay will go ahead and pay for the extra stuff. They dont waNt to have to pay the body shop for the work they already did and then pay you for the value of your car.
Old 03-14-05, 03:15 PM
AllBoutDaZ
Lead Lap

damn all those wrecks make you not want to drive
Old 03-14-05, 04:10 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Its official. The damage total is $6500.00 at this point. I should have the car back in 2 weeks. They stripped the entire front of the car down and laid all the parts out to see exactly what was damaged and what would need to be replaced.

Did anyone know that the headlight projectors in the 97-2000 model is different internally than the 92-96 model?...While it was cracked open I took a look inside. I wish I had taken a picture.
Old 03-14-05, 11:28 PM
TaeKwonDo
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the "No Total" outcome. I was driving a super clean '89 Acura Legend until I got T-Boned in Jan 05.... Now I am an SC300 owner It all happened so fast

I was lucky enough to have the cop list the other driver as primary (at fault) on his accident report. I was in the middle lane of a three lane street, and the other driver pulled out of a parking lot on the right side, and tried to move over all three lanes. The impact started at my passenger side door, and crushed the rear passenger quarter panel. The other driver said I was speeding, but the cop said that it didn't matter if I was or not. The cop said, "So, if someone is speeding, does that give you the right to enter their lane???" Than she said that the other drivers in the right hand lane were waving her through, and why aren't they liable... Cop's response was that she is in control of her vehicle, and it doesn't matter if someone is waving, signalling or directing traffic. Her vehicle - her choice - her control.

For the record, I wasn't speeding, but I wasn't driving very defensively either. I was passing a line of cars that were stopped on the right lane, to let people out of the shopping center parking lot. In retro-spect, I should have been covering my brake instead of just rolling on.

Live and learn...

Last edited by TaeKwonDo; 03-14-05 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Didn't need to quote, since my response followed his
Old 03-15-05, 12:16 AM
Rajshnu
Driver School Candidate

Default had enough of this...

Hey.. let me know if you need any legal advice, anything I can do for a fellow SC. I am a new owner of red sc400 97, beautiful car and I'll be d....ed if I let a cop tell me it was my fault in that situation... In texas there is contribution for liable damages in any incident... we don't live in a comparative fault state... my celli is 832 715 1121, the name Rajshnu, the school Univ. of Texas Law School... that boy always keeping it real... hopefully I can help...
Old 03-15-05, 10:43 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rajshnu
Hey.. let me know if you need any legal advice, anything I can do for a fellow SC. I am a new owner of red sc400 97, beautiful car and I'll be d....ed if I let a cop tell me it was my fault in that situation... In texas there is contribution for liable damages in any incident... we don't live in a comparative fault state... my celli is 832 715 1121, the name Rajshnu, the school Univ. of Texas Law School... that boy always keeping it real... hopefully I can help...

Thanks!... I'm not sure if I am going to contest the ticket. I simply don't have the time. I fly around the country with my job and this could just happened at a bad time. I might contest the ticket, but I haven't received a copy of the police report yet, so I don't know if he took down all the information from the whitnesses. If he did, then I should win, because they would state that I had ownership of the median before the truck did. If not, then it would be a very steep up hill battle I'm afraid.
Old 03-16-05, 12:25 AM
Rajshnu
Driver School Candidate

Just make sure to send that form in to get the police report.... don't forget that, or else you are out of luck... and make sure to get names, phone numbers of the witnesses
Old 03-16-05, 03:06 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Koma
"Whenever you get into accident whether or not it's your fault, the other person always steps out of the car with this look on his face as if it were your fault."
*raising hands up, awestruck face*
"Why did you stop at a red light and let me hit you going 80?"
... oh Dane Cook, you crazy.. crazy.. man.

Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 03-16-05, 03:32 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Think I will stay out of the debates, you just KNOW I will upset someone.

Heres what Koloth did to his Active UZZ32 when it hit the Armco;

Full story is here TIF

Old 03-16-05, 03:35 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Now this is what you call "bent", there was no impact on this side ot the boot (trunk).

Old 03-16-05, 03:39 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

When Koloth regained his wits he re-started the engine and everything was fine, it drove perfectly straight but he had a "bong" from the rear lamp warning system which is hardly surprising as the rear lamp was actually gone.

Quick Reply: When Trucks Don't Stop