SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Worth repairing, or just look for a mint SC? Pics...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-05, 02:24 PM
jeremyp111
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO if you can get a clean title car with light damage and put it back together while saving a significant amount of money then it's worthwhile. Being able to fix it for short money is the key. If you are mechanically inclined and can do some of the work required then that is even better. Otherwise having a body shop hookup is the way to go. I think Aliga has a guy he says does really good work for cheap money. You might consider that avenue. Going in this directions also makes sense if you want a 97+ conversion since you need a new bumper anyways. This will save even more in the long run.

A few months ago I considered buying a rehab from him. In hindsight, I should have jumped on the deal.

This is ust my opinion so please take it as such and good luck.
Old 03-02-05, 04:01 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd ask about rear-end damage also. I say that because the stock SC4's came with a spoiler on the rear and he or the previous owner removed it (I don't know why they would). Or it was rear-ended and the body-shop didn't put one back on.

Just somethign else to watch out for. And yea $2g's is about the top I'd pay for it to fix it.
Old 03-03-05, 05:29 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
I'd ask about rear-end damage also. I say that because the stock SC4's came with a spoiler on the rear and he or the previous owner removed it (I don't know why they would). Or it was rear-ended and the body-shop didn't put one back on.

Just somethign else to watch out for. And yea $2g's is about the top I'd pay for it to fix it.
I was wondering that myself, but since nobody mentioned it, I figured that it was an option that could be "deleted" from the factory (like the huge wing on the new EVO's). Did ALL SC400's come with a rear spoiler?
Old 03-03-05, 05:53 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSI, since you are in CT, my best advice to you would be to work with Aliga on gettting a SC. I have personally seen multiple cars that he has purchased and repaired, and can honestly say that he knows his stuff.

Perhaps behind the scenes you can work something out which will allow him to assist you in finding a car! Please remember, the damaged vehicle thing can have many "hidden corners" that bleed your pockets dry!! "Only 500 dollars for this" and "only 300 for that" adds up REALLY quick!

Good luck
Old 03-09-05, 10:01 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
PSI, since you are in CT, my best advice to you would be to work with Aliga on gettting a SC. I have personally seen multiple cars that he has purchased and repaired, and can honestly say that he knows his stuff.

Perhaps behind the scenes you can work something out which will allow him to assist you in finding a car! Please remember, the damaged vehicle thing can have many "hidden corners" that bleed your pockets dry!! "Only 500 dollars for this" and "only 300 for that" adds up REALLY quick!

Good luck
I tried to work something out with Aliga while this thread was going on and things didn't work out. I know he has a good reputation around here but I feel like he was extremely misleading in regards to the car he was selling. I'm fairly certain that if I showed anyone our E-mail conversation and not told them I was speaking with him they'd conclude he was trying to scam me. However, that's unfair and I won't. I just say to anyone who deals with buying a car from him (or anyone) in the future, if you're not mechanically skilled or aren't particularly familliar with a cartain make/model, have a trusted mechanic check the car out, ESPECIALLY if it's ever been in ANY sort of accident, no matter how minor the accedent may appear.

Anyway, after I blew out the bottom end of my Eclipse last Saturday, I concluded that I need a car that I can just buy and drive away. I ended up finding a really good deal on a one owner low mileage 1995 Platinum on Black SC 300 stick (EXACTLY what I've been looking for) Saturday night that was down in VA. I flew down Sunday morning and test drove that and a MINT condition low mileage 1992 Maroon on Tan SC 300 stick as a comparison (only drove a '98 SC400 before). Loved the 1995 Platinum on Black, bought it, and drove it back to Connecticut that day.

I'll make a post w/ pics once I have a chance to clean it up.
Old 03-09-05, 10:15 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know he has a good reputation around here but I feel like he was extremely misleading in regards to the car he was selling.
Do I have this car in my posession? I was offering a service to buy this car for a customer for a flat fee of $500 on top of the car costs.

The car is 3000 miles away, Im not hiding anything. There is nothing misleading about it. If you were that interested in that car, you should have flown to Cali to do a 3000 point inspection. Dont expect me to do the homework for you. I do not have the insurance damage report, all I had was the pictures and info from SupraCoup3.

And if the car was so bad as you claim, why would SupraCoup3 be interested in buying the car back from the auction.