SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lexus SC + GT4 = Eyecandy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-05, 10:33 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i was going to wait until i could afford a burner and a chip for my ps2 but seeing this thread FORCED me to order it. It better be worth it especially considering its a year late.
Old 03-01-05, 10:55 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rushgator
I've never seen an SC kick out flames like that in real life
You should have seen my SC when I had my BOV vented to atmosphere and running the MAF right on the turbo.
When I would step off the throttle under boost, the blow-off would go off, dumping metered air which would cause my car to temporarily go VERY rich (9:1 AFR).
Since I have no cats and straight-through mufflers, if I were to then blip the throttle, the car would spit a nice fireball out each tailpipe with a nice bang for good measure.
This did often happen on downshifts.

I don't know for sure, but it's probable that a car with straight-through exhaust with no cats can shoot small flames, even if it's NA.
I know rotaries such as the RX-7 look like flamethrowers with unrestricted exhaust.

~Alan
Old 03-01-05, 12:18 PM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

my buddy that I use to co-drive for, had a 98 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs... straight pipe race gas.... POP POP blue flames... nice... I love sunaco gas
Old 03-01-05, 01:09 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

most cars can shoot fireballs if you remove the cat converter and run straight exhaust with no restrictions, when i was 16 i got a neon and removed the cat and ran straight 2.5 inch exhaust and it would shoot fireballs if i revved it high enough
Old 03-01-05, 01:20 PM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

constructive youth
Old 03-01-05, 02:05 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Splatsc300
my buddy that I use to co-drive for
Is co-driving the same as side-seat driving?

~Alan
Old 03-01-05, 03:29 PM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

Sorry I'm use to being on a Subaru board were everyone associates co-driving with rally
Old 03-02-05, 08:37 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Splatsc300
Sorry I'm use to being on a Subaru board were everyone associates co-driving with rally
I was kidding.

~Alan
Old 03-02-05, 08:59 AM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

uhhh.... I knew that...
Old 03-03-05, 05:44 AM
High PSI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
You should have seen my SC when I had my BOV vented to atmosphere and running the MAF right on the turbo.
When I would step off the throttle under boost, the blow-off would go off, dumping metered air which would cause my car to temporarily go VERY rich (9:1 AFR).
Since I have no cats and straight-through mufflers, if I were to then blip the throttle, the car would spit a nice fireball out each tailpipe with a nice bang for good measure.
This did often happen on downshifts.

I don't know for sure, but it's probable that a car with straight-through exhaust with no cats can shoot small flames, even if it's NA.
I know rotaries such as the RX-7 look like flamethrowers with unrestricted exhaust.

~Alan
My GSX will spit fire between shifts AND when I'm revving up to launch. I've got a burned chip (called DSM Link) that I can control w/ a laptop. One of it's features is "Anti-Lag". Here's an explination of how it works off their website:

"Generically speaking, the term anti-lag refers to a technique commonly used by WRC style cars to quickly spool a turbo while the car is under hard deceleration in anticipation of the hard acceleration that's likely to follow. The technique involves retarding ignition timing so far as to cause the exhaust valve to open well into the power cycle, resulting in extremely hot and explosive gases rushing past the turbine, spinning the turbo up like crazy.

While we don't provide a full-on WRC style antilag system, we do provide a very effective drag style system that operates at the line and during those hard power shifts you make down the track. This helps to quickly spool the turbo for those pesky pro-trees and keep the turbo spooled in between shifts. Combined with the no-lift-to-shift feature, this can have a dramatic impact on 1/4 mile times."

When it comes to launching, Anti-lag + AWD =
Old 03-03-05, 08:52 AM
Splatsc300
Lead Lap

wrc antilag...... yuuuuuuuuuummmmm......
Old 03-03-05, 11:35 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by High PSI
My GSX will spit fire between shifts AND when I'm revving up to launch. I've got a burned chip (called DSM Link) that I can control w/ a laptop. One of it's features is "Anti-Lag". Here's an explination of how it works off their website:

"Generically speaking, the term anti-lag refers to a technique commonly used by WRC style cars to quickly spool a turbo while the car is under hard deceleration in anticipation of the hard acceleration that's likely to follow. The technique involves retarding ignition timing so far as to cause the exhaust valve to open well into the power cycle, resulting in extremely hot and explosive gases rushing past the turbine, spinning the turbo up like crazy.

While we don't provide a full-on WRC style antilag system, we do provide a very effective drag style system that operates at the line and during those hard power shifts you make down the track. This helps to quickly spool the turbo for those pesky pro-trees and keep the turbo spooled in between shifts. Combined with the no-lift-to-shift feature, this can have a dramatic impact on 1/4 mile times."

When it comes to launching, Anti-lag + AWD =
i know a few guys here in DSM, Iowa that have the same thing on there dsm's, sounds awesome at the launch, like popcorn popping in you ear, super loud! isnt it called a misfiring system or something like that? jgtc cars have it too