New SC300 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-04, 06:12 PM
much2gq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SC300 Owner

Hello all,

I am new to the board, and just purchased a used 93 SC300. Like many others, I had always wanted one and I have been looking for a 10+year old luxury car to be a winter car and a project to work on. Originally I had targeted an ES300, but the few that I looked at were trashed. Then this sweet deal popped up. It has about 157K miles, but runs perfect. Since it is a 93, it does need some TLC but if it was perfect, there would have been no way to get the deal that I did. Nothing like having one of the most recognized and respected luxury sport coupes on the market.

My Plans:
Brakes are OK, but some squeeling in reverse with the break pedal depressed slightly. So, saftey first and get some new brake pads and change the fluid.
There is a weird sound going over speed bumps at anything faster than a crawl. Almost a crunching sound...sounds like a bushing or something. When I rock the car (pressing down to test the suspension while parked) it doesnt make any noise. Any ideas?
Other than that, the exterior is 9/10, but interior is about a 5/10. I need to hook up with the Lex Lighting folks as the spedo and tach needels are useless (no lights). Looks like the previous owner painted the tips??? Regardless, that is soon on the list for upgrade. The seats are worn in the front, but the panel on the side of the seat where the power controls are is pretty beat-up. I have not been able to find any information on replacing/modding/ repairing this yet.
Steering wheel is in definate need of some help, and the right side of the climate unit is dim.

Any other car, and I would say it's a beater... but I can't wait to use this board and find what I need to restore this awesome car to its proper state. My other rides are a 99 SVT Lightning, and an 04 WRX so maybe some day in the future I can think about some mods since I am a go fast kinda guy... but for now I just want to get that interior fixed up since the mechanical problems are nothing more than a weekends work.

Any ideas of where to start or resources to help would be great.
Attached Thumbnails New SC300 Owner-lexus.jpg  
Old 10-27-04, 06:21 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!

Here on these boards, the search button is your best friend. Almost anything you could ask has probably been asked and answered before.

An easy fix for your seat issue would be to get Supra seats. I got a front pait for $160 shipped and they add to the sporty nature of the car. There are a few threads on here about them now.
Old 10-27-04, 06:46 PM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome aboard!
Old 10-27-04, 07:24 PM
Joehs
Pole Position

Welcome to the "Im broke because I spent all my money on my car " club !

The guys at Lextech are good guys, they will take care of your spedo and your climate control for you ! Their website is in the Sponsors part of this website if you havent located it yet. Your problem with small bumps and the crunching sound sounds to me like it would be bushings, I had the same problem and had all 4 of mine replaced and the sound went away, may be something different though.

As for your interior, If you do a search on the seats a pretty new upgrade lurking around here is the Supra seats. If I recall correctly they have all the same power options but are loads lighter, saving you precious weight and are said to hold you down better ( I cant vouch because I dont have them, do a search if you want ). You may want to look for a similar SC that has been wrecked or totalled or is being parted out for the interior of the door. You may also look into getting the seats and the doors reupholstered ( I cant remember exactly when it was talked about, but its been gone over several times, use the search button ! ).

Hope some of the suggestions help !

Lets see more Pics of the SC and perhaps some of the other cars too !

Welcome to the club

~Joey