What To Do, Over Heating! Sc *********

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-01, 08:34 AM
TRE
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi all,

I'm new the club, great club and members. i ahte to start off on a bad note, but my car SC 400 1992 was working find then Thursday i was at a drive thru it ran to high 1 bar from the red. I cut the car off about 10 minutes nad if was fine to go hom a mile away. II went to lexus bought a thermastat changed it, fluid was okay added a little to radiator reserve check for leaks, nothing..

I drovr 3hrs away the car was fine no problems temp in the low to middle range. crusing around in the city the BANG. Last night the same d@mn problem this time it ran high and started to hesisate/sputter i let the car stand for 15 minutes and left it over a friend house. tried to crank again same thing ran hot a few minutes after starting!

I hate to post a long question, but i'm desperated! I don't have a lot a money to watse at the dealer. What is it, did i cause damage or is the radiator clogged, a sensor or what? Should I take it to get the radiator flusshed out. can i do it myself and how? on a Lexus with out a normal radiator top is it the same?

Thank you very much,

A new member, i'm passing this site to all my friends.

Last edited by TRE; 04-28-01 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-28-01, 09:18 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

A little tough to tell from here, but it sounds like your radiator is becoming, or is blocked.

I'd try the radiator flush route and see if it helps, but when mine did this on my old Supra I had to get a new radiator. If the flush doesn't do it sometimes the radiator shop can remove it and clear it out better than we can at home. When you figure in the labor to clear it sometimes it's cheaper to get a new (or good used) one.

If you're able to get it clear with the flush you may not be out of the woods since it may block back up again in a while. Flushing may only create a small enough path to get you out of trouble now, but could block up again relatively soon. Like I said tough for me to tell from here.

Sorry I can't help more. Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by RealMarty; 04-28-01 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-28-01, 11:03 PM
TRE
Rookie

Question so far so good

marty,

thanks for the information. turned out fine so far, going back tomorrow. let you know so far so good.
Old 05-16-01, 11:46 PM
webgod

It might be your fan clutch. With the car parked, open hood, place rag infront of condensor/radiator, then have someone give it some gas. The rag should have a heavy pull towards the engine.

hope this helps.