SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HELP. Need cheap ways to make my new car better.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 03:09 PM
C-Web
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP. Need cheap ways to make my new car better.

Hello, folks.

Couple of quick questions from a new owner…

Has anyone here put Supra TT rims on their SC? Please post pics if you’ve got ‘em (I saw a few pics in the gallery, but there are too many pages to sift through with my connection). I know they’re only 17’s, so they might look a little small, but I’m on a budget: I’m just going for a better-than-stock look (chrome TT wheels), so I can put on some shiny new mufflers without it looking weird.

Do you need spacers or anything, or can you just slap them on?

Also, I was wondering if I could get some info on lowering the car. What is a good amount to drop without killing your ride? Is it simple enough to do it yourself? How much would it cost to have someone else do it?

Lastly, someone recommended changing my bushings. The car has almost 100K mi. on it, and this guy said they probably need to be replaced. Does anyone know how much this might cost (and if it’s worth it)?

If you can answer any of these questions, or have any other suggestions for making my new SC look/ride/run better (without spending a ton of money), it would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails HELP.  Need cheap ways to make my new car better.-final.jpg  

Last edited by C-Web; 09-01-04 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-01-04, 03:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Hi Chris, welcome to CL.

In over 3 years of thousands and thousands of posters, if it can be done, we have done it... ten times over. I suggest using the gallery to find your selection of pictures and also the search button. We have become so repetitive, that things simply do not get answered anymore after the 1000000000 th time asking, so try those means while you wait.

for best results searching, us as little amount of keywords as possible before getting technical with the search button.

nice ride.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-01-04 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-01-04, 03:34 PM
C-Web
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice, man. I was reading a few of the stickys on this forum after I posted, and I realized there is probably a better way I could have asked for guidance. I'll try doing some searches.

Have a good one.
Old 09-01-04, 03:53 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP. Need cheap ways to make my new car better.

Originally posted by C-Web
or have any other suggestions for making my new SC look/ride/run better (without spending a ton of money), it would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Chris Chris....I like you already...you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into...if you didn't want to "spend a ton of money" you should have bought a Civic, lol. But you didn't, and now it's too late!!! You'll see what I mean, welcome to the club

pm me with any questions you like (use the little "pm" button under the posts), I know it's a bit much for a noob to read through all those pages and pages of posts so I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

-Mike

Last edited by mikeloc24; 09-01-04 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-01-04, 03:54 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

And my sig.

James
Old 09-01-04, 04:11 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Search search search

As for the rims, you could also go for GS400 or IS300 rims.

Also, funny license plate
Old 09-01-04, 05:54 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

Welcome to the boards.
Old 09-01-04, 06:16 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

supra wheels:

gs400 wheels:

Last edited by aliga; 09-01-04 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-01-04, 07:08 PM
siaxazn
Lead Lap

you should consider getting some big brakes if your going to get supra tt wheels. Most people get the supra tt wheels just to clear thier big brakes. you can get a pair of ls400 4 piston calipers for $200 its a direct bolt in and its the best and cheapest mod you can get.
Old 09-01-04, 08:34 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

jet864, god your SC is really hot in that picture. are those polished or chrome TT's?

aliga, is that a full 97 body with an aftermarket lip (if so, what kind? looks vertex to me)

c-web, regarding the TT wheels please visit www.intellexual.net im sure its there.
about the lowering, you could check out www.intellexual.net or https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=lowering

then about the bushings, definately do it if it hasnt been done before or if you cannot stand the squeaking coming from the bushings.
Old 09-01-04, 09:43 PM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

Welcome!! and say good bye to the rest of your income its fun
Old 09-02-04, 06:52 AM
C-Web
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to everyone for your input . I can see that this is going to be a lot of fun.

I think those TT wheels look d@mn good for 17s (jet864 and aliga). This might be a good first upgrade for me, until I feel comortable spending more money. .

"...you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into...if you didn't want to "spend a ton of money" you should have bought a Civic, lol. But you didn't, and now it's too late!!! You'll see what I mean, welcome to the club."

Haha, thanks, man. Actually, the nice thing about a Lexus SC is, unlike a Civic, you don't have to do ANYTHING to it to make it into a car that most people respect! Lexus did a pretty good job, the first time, in my opinion.

At the same time, I'd love to drop some dough on it one day to make it really unique (and faster). Maybe after a few more months of looking at your beautifully uprgraded cars, I'll break down and start spending money.

"you should consider getting some big brakes if your going to get supra tt wheels. Most people get the supra tt wheels just to clear thier big brakes. you can get a pair of ls400 4 piston calipers for $200 its a direct bolt in and its the best and cheapest mod you can get."

This is exactly the type of advice I'm looking for. Thank you.

Im going to check out intellexual.net and see what the've got on Supra wheels.

Chris
Old 09-02-04, 07:05 AM
C-Web
Driver School Candidate

Before...
Attached Thumbnails HELP.  Need cheap ways to make my new car better.-oldside1.jpg  
Old 09-02-04, 07:07 AM
C-Web
Driver School Candidate

After... (I photoshopped this)
Looks pretty good to me. Guess I'd also need to paint my calipers red to make it look like this!
Attached Thumbnails HELP.  Need cheap ways to make my new car better.-newside2.jpg  
Old 09-02-04, 01:03 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

looks good, I was thinking of going with those same wheels when I was looking to upgrade wheels...but then I realized that 19's were what I really wanted and I didn't want to bide time by buying rims that I knew I'd eventually want to trade in. That's just me though...I'd still take these Supra wheels over my 10 spoke chromies (like the ones you have, only in chrome). I'd really prefer some IForged rims or some Zauber's but those are a little too pricey for me right now...

Quick Reply: HELP. Need cheap ways to make my new car better.