RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 06:15 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dynamat?

Sup RX gang! How many of you with a ML equipped RX have done this? I am seriously considering it because, I want a deeper bass and I cringe that from time to time, when my volume reaches over 35, my RX sounds like the video I made down below. The guys who have done this what is your review? Did it improve anything? Is it rattle free? Where did you apply it?
Thanks in Advance
-MjThind
P.S. The video is from a month ago, when I finally I got the garage space, and then my parents came back form there trips and now their cars are inside and my RX is outside...LOL
Old 04-10-13, 06:54 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Just curious and not relevant, but what am I looking at? Don't recognize upon what the camera is focus. Can you feel the vibration? Where is it?
Old 04-10-13, 06:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Take a look at this thread from MEP. I've wanted to do it to my RXh for a long time and recently talked to my installer about it. I forgot what he recommended. It was something other than dynamat. I'm still hesitating because I don't want my RXh ripped apart. Too many potential problems. If you get it done, make sure you let us know how it goes.
Old 04-10-13, 07:59 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Just curious and not relevant, but what am I looking at? Don't recognize upon what the camera is focus. Can you feel the vibration? Where is it?
Outside by the gas tank, No but I hear really bad rattling. It primarily around the sub to be more specific driver's side rear quarter panel...

Originally Posted by kitlz
Take a look at this thread from MEP. I've wanted to do it to my RXh for a long time and recently talked to my installer about it. I forgot what he recommended. It was something other than dynamat. I'm still hesitating because I don't want my RXh ripped apart. Too many potential problems. If you get it done, make sure you let us know how it goes.
The same reason why I am hesitating to get it done, I am actually considering to do it myself, because there seems to be no "qualified" shops, by my standards, to touch my RX...
Old 04-11-13, 07:58 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Retyping my post; must have not saved it...

I have added Dynamat to my IS in the doors and the rear deck. It works as advertised! I don't have a sub, but do have a good aftermarket speakers with nice mid-bass. The rattling is virtually eliminated, the road noise has been decreased and the doors lock with a more solid thud.

It is easy to DIY. The hardest part is removing the panels, but it is not that bad, especially if one can find instructions how to. Applying Dynamat is easy. Anyone with kindergarten project skills can do it. Just cut it to shape and press-on. Heat with a hair dryer if needed.

Just in case, I did take pictures of all of doors to be able to locate bolts, should anything need to be disassembled in the future.
Old 04-11-13, 08:01 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

OP,
If you did not increase bass settings and it is rattling as bad as in the video, I would check to see if the sub is blown.
Old 04-12-13, 10:50 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anita, I am with you.... ya gotta tear the rig apart, and then, how often does it go back together the same? Rarely. Some of the removable fasteners don't seem to work as good 2nd time, for re insertion. At least that is what I am finding. Although the appeal of this mod has me on the fence as well... I find the RX "sort of solid", but not rock solid like I expected, but not complaining due to mid tier price of rig. If this mod solved my mediocre ML sound system and made the rig quieter and more solid, like tinny sound when closing the doors, I would prob. do the mod. Of course, witnessing one already completed would push me off the fence, not sure what direction I would fall though :-) A qualified installer would be nice... I hate doing things for the first time...
Old 04-13-13, 10:11 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes, installers are great. I had to find a new one when I got the RXh because my old one went into the home entertainment installation business. Much bigger bucks there. I was pretty upset because he also did body work for the local Lexus dealers. At least he knew the vehicles inside and out.

When I brought up adding dynamat to my current installer a few weeks ago, he said he wanted to do more than that because he didn't feel it was enough to make a difference. Ideally he would add a few things to bring out the bass. I told him I really wasn't interested in going down that road again after spending the extra money on ML and honestly would rather not mess with it. He understood and didn't try to push me. He probably thinks I'll change my mind.

I've seen the door panel removed from the RX before. It wasn't bad like vlad said but I still don't want to do it myself. I'll stick with the easier stuff.
Old 04-13-13, 07:16 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK. Doing the rear compartment with Dynamat (or similar product) is going to give you the best results. I did mine in stages and did the rear first. That is what brought the bass to life. The rear compartment pieces assemble back together just fine and I have had no rattling problems at all. I thought I had problems with the front door panels but it ends up it is the seal around the windows making the noise. I did do behind the speakers in all 4 doors and it did add a little more bass plus the doors are more solid when closing. So, if you are going to do anything, I recommend the rear compartment plus, it did help with some road noise.