RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

How many Key Fob are included with new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-23, 12:12 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 410 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by IBen
I would hope that through consumer protection laws regulatory bodies would force the manufacturers to deliver what people have paid for, of fine them for not delivering what was paid for.
I don't see where anyone did anything wrong. We all know there's been a chip shortage. People who buy these vehicles (like me, for instance) are told, upfront, that they'll get one key now and one key at some point in the not too distant future. What's the problem? If it's a dealbreaker, then don't buy the car. No one doesn’t buy the car because of this.

Last edited by daryll40; 01-14-23 at 01:55 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by daryll40:
dklanecky1 (01-12-23), grhughes (04-27-24), mcomer (01-12-23), Nazir (02-22-23), RolfK (01-25-23)
Old 01-15-23, 08:40 PM
RS91
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I received one key fob only. I trust Lexus will deliver on its promise to send second key fob as soon as chip shortage issues are resolved.

I understand if folks don’t have digital key than losing the only key fob can be worrisome. But personally, I am pleased to have one less key fob for a while instead of one less feature permanently on the car which would use that chip.
The following users liked this post:
Hefty (01-16-23)
Old 01-16-23, 05:52 AM
DenBar
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RS91
I received one key fob only. I trust Lexus will deliver on its promise to send second key fob as soon as chip shortage issues are resolved.

I understand if folks don’t have digital key than losing the only key fob can be worrisome. But personally, I am pleased to have one less key fob for a while instead of one less feature permanently on the car which would use that chip.
The problem with the digital key is that it will only work in areas that you have a signal. I live outside of my metropolitan area and there are certain small areas where there is no signal. I realize that because Pandora stops playing or the navigation system stops communicating with you. If you drive into one of these areas and you only have the digital key, the vehicle will stop working and you will not be able to restart it. I mentioned that to the dealer and asked about a wallet key and was told the 2023 RX350 was not built to utilize a wallet key and there is no part number for such an item.
Old 01-16-23, 05:58 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DenBar
The problem with the digital key is that it will only work in areas that you have a signal. I live outside of my metropolitan area and there are certain small areas where there is no signal. I realize that because Pandora stops playing or the navigation system stops communicating with you. If you drive into one of these areas and you only have the digital key, the vehicle will stop working and you will not be able to restart it. I mentioned that to the dealer and asked about a wallet key and was told the 2023 RX350 was not built to utilize a wallet key and there is no part number for such an item.
Will it work in my condo garage that does get cell phone signals but does not get Sirius/XM signals?
Old 01-16-23, 06:08 AM
DenBar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daryll40
Will it work in my condo garage that does get cell phone signals but does not get Sirius/XM signals?
🤷 I would recommend you ask the IT person at your dealership. When I explained my issue they confirmed the vehicle cannot be operated with a digital key if you do not have a signal.
Old 01-16-23, 07:08 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 369 Likes on 254 Posts

But isn't the digital key an option on the car? It's a $275 option. Suppose the car doesn't have that option, then you only have one key for it if indeed there is no wallet key card?
The following users liked this post:
madams144 (08-11-23)
Old 01-16-23, 08:15 AM
DenBar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
But isn't the digital key an option on the car? It's a $275 option. Suppose the car doesn't have that option, then you only have one key for it if indeed there is no wallet key card?
There is no wallet key for the 2023 RX350. If you have the digital key option and my vehicle has it, it will not operate the vehicle in an area that does not have a signal. I confirmed that with the IT tech at my dealership and I suggest you do the same.
Old 01-16-23, 08:17 AM
IBen
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't see where anyone did anything wrong. We all know there's been a chip shortage. People who buy these vehicles (like me, for instance) are told, upfront, that they'll get one key now and one key at some point in the not too distant future. What's the problem? If it's a dealbreaker, then don't buy the car. No one doesn’t buy the car because of this.
My problem is that I was not told of the one key issue until after I had handed my cheque over, and signed the papers, it was a oh and by the way kind of thing. Basically a bad surprise.
Old 01-16-23, 08:25 AM
DenBar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IBen
My problem is that I was not told of the one key issue until after I had handed my cheque over, and signed the papers, it was a oh and by the way kind of thing. Basically a bad surprise.
Sorry to hear that. Our dealership was upfront about it before we signed the paperwork.
Old 01-16-23, 08:30 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DenBar
There is no wallet key for the 2023 RX350. If you have the digital key option and my vehicle has it, it will not operate the vehicle in an area that does not have a signal. I confirmed that with the IT tech at my dealership and I suggest you do the same.
What kind of signal? Cell phone signal or SiriusXM satellite signal?
Old 01-16-23, 08:30 AM
Old Jedi
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, mine does. Digital key works off of 4G cell service. Not satellite signal.
Old 01-16-23, 08:36 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Old Jedi
Yes, mine does. Digital key works off of 4G cell service. Not satellite signal.
Excellent useful information. Thank you so much!
Old 01-16-23, 08:44 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 369 Likes on 254 Posts

Are they putting that $275 digital key option in all the vehicles then - including the base RX? I guess they must be, if they are relying out that to temporarily sidestep the availability of the 2nd key fob. But you need a smartphone to use the digital key, correct - its through the Lexus app?
Old 01-16-23, 08:51 AM
DenBar
Driver School Candidate

I assume it is a cell phone signal but I could be wrong. Again, I suggest you speak to the IT people at your dealership.
Old 01-16-23, 09:46 AM
R9000
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default NO Wallet Key for 350? What About the 350h?

I saw your below post.. Do you know if it is avail for the 350h or did they say All 23 RX models?

QUOTE=DenBar;11430129]The problem with the digital key is that it will only work in areas that you have a signal. I live outside of my metropolitan area and there are certain small areas where there is no signal. I realize that because Pandora stops playing or the navigation system stops communicating with you. If you drive into one of these areas and you only have the digital key, the vehicle will stop working and you will not be able to restart it. I mentioned that to the dealer and asked about a wallet key and was told the 2023 RX350 was not built to utilize a wallet key and there is no part number for such an item.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: How many Key Fob are included with new RX?