RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-24, 06:33 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tecdivingaccountant
On one cold day back in December I was gearing up for my morning dive. Because it was pitch black outside I thought it would be a good idea to leave the lights on (come/leave home stays on until the car is locked). The lights were on for about 40 minutes. I then locked the car (RX500h). Hazards flashed, buzzer beeped. I came back an hour later and popped the hatch open. The car beeped again and hazards flashed. And this is where the problems began. I tried opening the side door but to no avail (gotta thank Lexus for those idiotic electronic release handles). Pressing the unlock button on the fob only resulted in flashing lights but no buzzing. Doors were still locked. I had to climb over the back seats to reach the rear door manual release handle. Once the doors were open I tried starting up the car. It beeped again but the dash didn't even light up. Dead battery symptoms... Luckily another diver was parked nearby and had jumper cables. We jumped the battery and the car started right up.

Two weeks went by with zero issues.

Having feared being left alone with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere, I decided that my wife's husband deserves another Christmas gift in a form of a booster.

Sure enough, couple of days ago I had the same issue. No lights were running before locking the car but same symptoms came up again. The hatch opened no problem but then the car died on me again. The booster was put to its intended use and voila the car was brought back to life.

I blame the battery but wondering if this happened to anyone else. The car is less than a year old and Lexus keeps scoring top three across all known reliability charts. My next servicing is coming up soon so I will definitely have them look into it but my guess is that they will offer a battery replacement at my own expense.

Kinda ironic that a hybrid car is immobilized because of a dead battery.

Yes happened to me 2 weeks ago, I was detailing the RX for about 40 minutes and had the doors open, really did not think that the interior lights would draw that much power. To my surprise the battery was dead and I had to call Lexus service (that worked well)
Old 01-17-24, 06:27 AM
jaxn1010
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyE
First turn of the physical key unlocks the driver's side. Turn it again and it will unlock the other doors. Assuming you have battery, of course. If not, then I'd think you're left with pulling the physical lever on the inside of each door. One pull activates the lever as mechanical, 2nd pull unlatches. Got to agree with the "why" is this necessary, tho'. I know it's for the "active assist" so you don't open the doors into on-coming traffic. But, yeah, what was wrong with door levers we knew worked? I'd think these "safety features" could have still been implemented on standard door levers. My muscle memory still misses the real handles.
Indeed - my Audi Q5 had the same safe assist exit feature on all four doors, and all were lever-style (ie traditional) inside and out. They also had a red light that lit up around each lever when it was actively stopping you from opening the door, that way the person knew why the door wouldn't open.
The following users liked this post:
Klamalama (01-18-24)
Old 01-17-24, 07:50 AM
Lexus-SSA
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

my experience has been that when I leave the doors open for a while, after a certain time all interior lights turn off automatically.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexus-SSA:
Carbuff2 (01-17-24), ggebhardt (01-18-24)
Old 01-17-24, 08:48 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus-SSA
my experience has been that when I leave the doors open for a while, after a certain time all interior lights turn off automatically.
THAT is configurable in the settings.
Old 01-17-24, 10:27 AM
tecdivingaccountant
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CCGS
Yes happened to me 2 weeks ago, I was detailing the RX for about 40 minutes and had the doors open, really did not think that the interior lights would draw that much power. To my surprise the battery was dead and I had to call Lexus service (that worked well)
How long did it take them to get to you? I suppose they don't have a dedicated mobile mechanic and just call first available contractor.
Old 01-17-24, 04:30 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

It took about 35 minutes from making the call and the tow truck arriving, so I was quite pleased in that regard. I also have BCAA(AAA) and it was the same company that responded on behalf of Lexus. Cheers
The following 2 users liked this post by CCGS:
BeamerDude (02-08-24), tecdivingaccountant (01-17-24)
Old 01-17-24, 06:32 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

I had AAA for years but Lexus has a contract with AAA that has better coverage than the standard plan. I cancelled my AAA as it's duplicate coverage.
tecdivingaccountant (01-17-24)
Old 01-18-24, 07:16 AM
CCGS
Pit Crew

I agree, we have been members for 20+ years and have used them on a few occasion's. If it was up to me personally I would cancel it and save a few $.
Old 01-18-24, 07:43 PM
winpakbob
Driver

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts

Had the dead battery issue happen to me too after sitting in the car listening to the radio for about 20 minutes. Car was in ACC mode. The 12V batteries in these cars have a very minimal reserve. That said, I was already inside the car so I was able to double pull on the lever to open the door. Fortunately for me, I was able to open the rear hatch because I was storing my booster with the spare tire. Lesson learned, that booster is now stored behind the rear seat for easy access!
(here is how my incident went https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...sory-mode.html )
The following 5 users liked this post by winpakbob:
BeamerDude (02-08-24), BerthoudPa (01-19-24), Carbuff2 (01-19-24), CCGS (01-21-24), tecdivingaccountant (01-19-24)
Old 01-19-24, 06:49 AM
husky1055
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I read about AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery which are supposed to last longer than lead battery. Is AGM battery compatible with the alternator in the RX 350 2023?
Old 01-19-24, 08:43 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

I think it's crazy that a new car battery can't support a 1/2 hour on accessory mode. Are these batteries very undersized or are they defective? I just put my portable charger (which I have never previously needed) in the car. I hope I never have to use it.
CCGS (01-21-24)
Old 01-19-24, 09:40 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
I think it's crazy that a new car battery can't support a 1/2 hour on accessory mode. Are these batteries very undersized or are they defective?
I've said this before: Modern auto accessories (like the sound system) draw a LOT more power than in the past. There is other stuff 'ON' on ACC mode too.

I ran down my daughter's battery while detailing her car before terminating her lease. That NEVER happened in the days of AM radios with ONE speaker!!! LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by Carbuff2:
autotech13 (01-20-24), CCGS (01-21-24)
Old 01-19-24, 09:49 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 533 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by husky1055
I read about AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery which are supposed to last longer than lead battery. Is AGM battery compatible with the alternator in the RX 350 2023?
They handle the heat better. Turbos are tough on batteries since they tend to sit close to them. They also like to be charged at a slightly higher voltage than lead acid for maximum life. I wonder if there is a way to program the car for the type of battery. I put one in my VW and was able to program the car with my VAG com tool that I switched it to AGM (fleece in German). Hybrid folks have it the best with the 12V sitting in the rear. Those batteries should last at least twice as long as ones under the hood.
husky1055 (01-19-24)
Old 01-19-24, 11:18 AM
husky1055
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AGM battery

I plan to ask my Lexus dealer to install a AGM battery in my RX350. If they agree to do it then they probably will adjust the alternator charger in my car so it will be compatible with the AGM battery.
Old 01-19-24, 03:24 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 380 Likes on 260 Posts

I thought the AGM battery profile was primarily that it tolerated periodic short charge on/off cycles, which allows a clutch based alternator to be used to increase MPG. A lead acid battery needs a constant 13.5+V polarity to keep it charged.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery