RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Pre-collision setting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 10:05 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Pre-collision setting?

Our 2018 RX 350 comes with the pre-collision warning system. Can you tell me whether the "sensitivity" of the pre-collision sensors can be adjusted to "see" smaller and lower objects like curbs? So far we have backed the SUV into the curb like in a parking lot several times with no visual or audible warning of the curb or cement riser whereas the pre-collision seems to be aware of taller items. Looked into the thick owner's manual and nothing is listed there. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 05-31-18, 10:19 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry no can does ville baby doll.
Old 05-31-18, 10:33 AM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

There is an adjustment for the pre-collision warning system but not for height or level of things instead more about the distance or how soon you want to hear the alarm and when to engage the autonomous braking. The back up warning is part of the intuitive parking assist system and yes, the sensors are mounted at the rear bumper. You might want to make sure the intuitive parking assist is turned on which is indicated by a green light (P) on the dash, to the right of the dash. Depending on the height of the curve, it might be too low to be detected but from memory I believe it gave me a warning before.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (06-01-18)
Old 05-31-18, 10:42 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

YWW, welcome to CL. PCS is designed to help you when the vehicle senses a collision by taking over braking and tightening the seat belts. It also only engages at higher speeds IIRC. Parking Assist, on the other hand, helps you avoid backing/driving into walls and other large objects by giving an audio/visual alert on the dash and screen. Most objects lower than the bumper sensors are not detected. The back-up camera/panoramic view camera (if equipped) works better for curbs and smaller objects at low speeds.

Last edited by kitlz; 05-31-18 at 10:48 AM.
mcomer (08-03-18)
Old 05-31-18, 10:48 AM
PK Auto Design
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There aren't parameters to control height but maybe by increasing the distance in which it alerts you, you would have a better chance of being alerted of curbs and low objects. As with any of these safety features though, they are designed to assist the driver and not as a crutch.
Old 05-31-18, 04:47 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Backup camera not working??
We have the panoramic camera, and I have yet to run over anything, forward or backwards

Driving by Brail can definitely get expensive.

​​​​
PK Auto Design (05-31-18)
Old 08-02-18, 09:32 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
YWW, welcome to CL. PCS is designed to help you when the vehicle senses a collision by taking over braking and tightening the seat belts. It also only engages at higher speeds IIRC. Parking Assist, on the other hand, helps you avoid backing/driving into walls and other large objects by giving an audio/visual alert on the dash and screen. Most objects lower than the bumper sensors are not detected. The back-up camera/panoramic view camera (if equipped) works better for curbs and smaller objects at low speeds.
I am still leaning about our new ride so forgive me if its been asked before. The PCS feature(the part that senses a Collision and brakes and tighthening seat belt) is one feature that I found it very useful, seems really helpful if one got distracted when driving.
What's a good safe practical way to verify this feature is working properly without actually driving toward a person or a frontal object(wall, another car)?
There is so many tech features in the car, its mind boggling. So far its been interesting to learned all the new things that are in the RX.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-18, 11:27 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by dchan865
I am still leaning about our new ride so forgive me if its been asked before. The PCS feature(the part that senses a Collision and brakes and tighthening seat belt) is one feature that I found it very useful, seems really helpful if one got distracted when driving.
What's a good safe practical way to verify this feature is working properly without actually driving toward a person or a frontal object(wall, another car)?
There is so many tech features in the car, its mind boggling. So far its been interesting to learned all the new things that are in the RX.

Thanks.
Aren't there green indicator lights on the dash RCTA etc?
Old 08-02-18, 06:31 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks.
The best way is to drive towards a brick wall at 60 and see what happens - let us know if it works.
Old 08-02-18, 08:40 PM
dchan865
Pit Crew

lol gsfrx350. I been thinking about this. Without putting scrathes/damaging my car, may be I'll get some big empty boxes and see. sure the rcta light is on but is it really working? I use enough tech products enough and sometimes do come across defects/bugs with a particular feature. calI me crazy, can't relax until i try it.
Old 08-03-18, 06:07 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

lol gsfrx350. I been thinking about this. Without putting scrathes/damaging my car, may be I'll get some big empty boxes and see. sure the rcta light is on but is it really working? I use enough tech products enough and sometimes do come across defects/bugs with a particular feature. calI me crazy, can't relax until i try it.
Hmmmm, hadn't thought of the empty box idea, but that might be interesting.
Old 08-03-18, 06:24 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I saw a video of a dealer who had set up a sheet suspended between two poles, with a drawing of the rear of a vehicle on the sheet,. The car stopped 3 inches from the sheet. Can't recall if it was a Lexus.
ravenuer (08-03-18)
Old 08-03-18, 06:52 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by YWW
Our 2018 RX 350 comes with the pre-collision warning system. Can you tell me whether the "sensitivity" of the pre-collision sensors can be adjusted to "see" smaller and lower objects like curbs? So far we have backed the SUV into the curb like in a parking lot several times with no visual or audible warning of the curb or cement riser whereas the pre-collision seems to be aware of taller items. Looked into the thick owner's manual and nothing is listed there. Please advise. Thanks.
No 360 deg. camera? I believe collision warning radar can't see small object like motor cycle there is even warning about this in the owner's manual.
Old 08-03-18, 12:43 PM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jim256
I saw a video of a dealer who had set up a sheet suspended between two poles, with a drawing of the rear of a vehicle on the sheet,. The car stopped 3 inches from the sheet. Can't recall if it was a Lexus.
Thanks for that tip Jim. After reviewing more you tube video of PCS and ICS system, I am now less ignorant now, still more to learn. Just a side note, here are couple of safety related links that may be useful if anyone is curious. I am sure you will see more tutorials if you search.

ICS(intelligent clearance sonar):

The RX350 has superior IIHS rating for Crash Avoidance and Mitigation, did not even know IIHS test this: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...-door-suv/2018