RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

400 mile road trip with RX350

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-17, 10:34 AM
quine
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 400 mile road trip with RX350

Took the 2017 RX350 AWD with 3700mi for the first road trip- a 400mi round trip for work.
Here's what I've noticed.

The bad
1) The navigation system
Now typically around home works 99% of the time. There were a few hiccups where it wanted me to go in a continuous circle. Not this time.
- First it told me a major highway was closed- which was possible since there is always construction in the area- but it wasn't. Then during a rest stop I realized that google maps on my iPhone was giving me a completely set of different directions and I ended up driving an extra 22 miles before I hit town. Then once in town, it told me to take a highway that was closed and I had to take a long detour to get to the restaurant I wanted to stop by for lunch, which took an additional 30min with traffic. Now if Lexus had given me the google maps direction, 1) I would have saved 22 miles and 2)I would have avoided the detour. Then to add insult to injury I tried to get to a outdoor mall- kill some time before check-in and again the Lexus directed me to the wrong spot- tried to look up the address via the name- Nordstroms- it returned like 5 Nordstroms. I picked the first one and it directed me to Nordstroms rack.
- When you're on a major highway with several on ramps, off ramps to several other major highways, plus traffic, it's nice to know in advance when you need to be in the left lane or right lane in order to take the exit. Seemed like the Lexus system would let me know what felt like last minute directions to where now I'm battling traffic trying to get into the correct lane.
- Ultimately the Lexus navigation system is pretty to look at but I wouldn't trust it completely for directions. On the way back I studied the google maps route and would rely on google's directions when I was unsure where to go. Sure enough, on the way back, the Lexus wanted me to take the long way back home and I ignored it. After I ignored its first instruction, it behaved on the way back and was in sync with google's directions.
- Inputting information is horrible- I knew this before but this trip really drove that point home.

2) I parked it in a garage near the hotel. I parked it right underneath one of the beams supporting the roof. I got out and opened the lift gate to get my stuff. When I closed it, I noticed there was a small scratch on the back. I tried to see what would happen again when I opened it. If I didn't manually stop it, I think the lift gate would have smashed into the beam again. Not sure if there is a sensor or not to prevent that. So now I know. If you're parking anywhere with a roof, watch it.

The good
1) I started out the trip with less than a full tank of gas and again thanks to the Lexus navigation, I took a long way on country highways with few gas stations. I started out with range anxiety but let that go when I realized I could make it without refilling. Overall I got 26mpg- pleasantly surprised with that. Usually I get 23mpg with heavy hwy driving.

2) Great for road trips- it can crush the miles effortlessly and in comfort, almost like an Audi or BMW I've owned in the past. The one knock against the Lexus is the steering is light. But it's not a deal breaker or ruined the trip. Overall It's comfortable, can handle the highway miles, and with your pick of Sirius xm, radio, music on your phone, on CD, never got bored either.

3) On the way out of the garage I was sandwiched between two SUVS. I carefully started to back out when the RCTA kicked in and I stopped. Didn't see anything for a second or two but sure enough another car drove by. Good stuff!
Old 06-14-17, 11:07 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Awesome feedback. Thank you. I use Google Maps or Waze all the time as Lexus Navi is really stupid sometimes, it likes the longer way, so I run them both simultaneously just in case if I lose cell service or satellite. The RCTA works great, it stopped me once pulling out from my garage, some ninja guy ran across.
Old 06-14-17, 12:51 PM
VroomZoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Regarding: 2) I parked it in a garage near the hotel. I parked it right underneath one of the beams supporting the roof. I got out and opened the lift gate to get my stuff. When I closed it, I noticed there was a small scratch on the back. I tried to see what would happen again when I opened it. If I didn't manually stop it, I think the lift gate would have smashed into the beam again. Not sure if there is a sensor or not to prevent that. So now I know. If you're parking anywhere with a roof, watch it.

This comprehensive video at around the 14 minute mark explains how to set the height of the door....

The following users liked this post:
corpnupe85 (06-18-17)
Old 06-14-17, 05:30 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't know what the default is from the dealer but maybe they should put it on the lower side and let the customer adjust accordingly. I know this sounds like spoon feeding but the 4RX does go up pretty high ( and it's shape) I think there are a few people that have been surprised when it touches something. Who wants that as a first experience with their new car ?

Good review, nice mileage. Nav leaves a little to be desired. I find it gives me good notice when it's time to exit. Don't know your traffic, number of lanes, speed, etc. so hard to compare.
Old 06-15-17, 07:50 AM
SirKong
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In regards to number 2, not sure if this is accurate but I heard that the ones with the touch free sensor has a sensor that would stop the lift gate if there is something blocking it.
Old 06-15-17, 12:12 PM
NickL
Racer

Received 421 Likes on 272 Posts

On page 137 of the owner manual. It states
If anything obstructs the power back door while opening, a buzzer will sound and thepower back door will stop immediately. Ifanything obstructs the power back door whileclosing, a buzzer will sound and the power back door will automatically move slightly inthe opposite direction and then stop
Does this mean that the lift gate senses something and it will stop or does it actually have to touch the obstacle then it stops.
Old 06-15-17, 12:15 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by NickL
On page 137 of the owner manual. It states
If anything obstructs the power back door while opening, a buzzer will sound and thepower back door will stop immediately. Ifanything obstructs the power back door whileclosing, a buzzer will sound and the power back door will automatically move slightly inthe opposite direction and then stop
Does this mean that the lift gate senses something and it will stop or does it actually have to touch the obstacle then it stops.
It has to touch something before it stops, which means the force may damage the paint.
Old 06-15-17, 12:47 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Yes if you are opening it ....it's too late

Closing works well, go ahead squish the milk bags, blanket, whatever.
Old 06-15-17, 01:04 PM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Regarding "The one knock against the Lexus is the steering is light."

The adaptive cruse control with the lane-keep-assist is an absolute dream. It will almost drive itself, just don't fight the wheel.
Old 06-15-17, 01:54 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Regarding "The one knock against the Lexus is the steering is light."
The adaptive cruse control with the lane-keep-assist is an absolute dream. It will almost drive itself, just don't fight the wheel.
Agreed, for me too the only negative is the steering being way too light.

Last edited by Cocal; 06-21-17 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-16-17, 05:36 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by feddery
Its not as good at Tesla's auto pilot, not even close but still, nice to have ...
Well of course, it's not as good as any auto-driving car because it's an assist. The thing that makes it nice is you can actually look out at the world instead of focusing on the road 100% and not worry about drifting. It enhances the experience of driving by letting you enjoy the world a little more. That's what it's for and it works perfectly for that.
Old 06-16-17, 07:51 AM
guxu
Pole Position

I tried several times on highway and local roads. ACC worked great. But lane-keep seems to struggle, even on highway. The steering wheel vibrated so it knew it crossed the lane. But it just could not keep it.
Old 06-16-17, 07:54 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by guxu
I tried several times on highway and local roads. ACC worked great. But lane-keep seems to struggle, even on highway. The steering wheel vibrated so it knew it crossed the lane. But it just could not keep it.
Do you have adaptive cruse? The regular lane-keep assist doesn't do much, but turn on the adaptive cruse control and it steers around gentle curves by itself as long as you keep you hands on the wheel. It keeps the car between the lines when active unlike the regular LKA that only warns you when you get too close to a line and will nudge you back over after some time.
Old 06-16-17, 11:17 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Do you have adaptive cruse? The regular lane-keep assist doesn't do much, but turn on the adaptive cruse control and it steers around gentle curves by itself as long as you keep you hands on the wheel. It keeps the car between the lines when active unlike the regular LKA that only warns you when you get too close to a line and will nudge you back over after some time.
I should say "lane centering function". Yes, I tried it with ACC on. First of all, it might not drive on the perfect center. Many times, my RX was uncomfortably close to one side. And the curves were not that big when it went out of the lane.
Old 06-21-17, 10:41 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by feddery
Its not as good at Tesla's auto pilot, not even close but still, nice to have ...
So much for Tesla's autopilot: https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/30/1...nomous-model-s

I wouldn't trust any autopilot technology yet, full control of your car always.

Last edited by MisterQ; 06-21-17 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 400 mile road trip with RX350