RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

fob range any better than modern Toyotas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-16, 10:04 AM
gorcorps
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fob range any better than modern Toyotas?

I have a question that I'm hoping somebody might have enough experience to answer. I currently have a 2015 Highlander, and am planning on a 3 row RX350 in the near future. My question is, do the Lexus fobs have better range than the current Highlander fob?

The only real disappointment with my Highlander (apart from just road noise) is how terrible the keyfob range is. I had a 2014 Grand Cherokee before this and it beat the panties off of the Toyota in fob range. I could easily remote start my car from my office, which is within sight of the parking lot with a window. In the Highlander I'd have to walk halfway to my car to even register a signal.

I'm hoping that the RX 350 would have better hardware, and see an improvement in range. If not, that complicates things a bit.
Old 05-18-16, 10:25 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

gorcorps, remote start is through the phone now and part of the Lexus Enform Remote subscription (first year free).
Old 05-18-16, 10:41 AM
gorcorps
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
gorcorps, remote start is through the phone now and part of the Lexus Enform Remote subscription (first year free).

Thanks

I'm aware of the subscription service, but looking through other threads it seems like remote start through the fob is still a feature (or at least enabled) and behaves like on my Highlander. So it appears the local system is still in place on the current RX350.

My fob range question isn't just for the remote start, but also for general use in locking and unlocking.
Old 05-18-16, 01:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I've been able to get higher range when putting the key fob next to a metal window frame with the 3RX. The distance was easily several hundred feet, eight floors up and no obstructions I could start it and roll down the windows. So the lock/unlock buttons were working. Just an FYI, use the folding mirrors as a visual cue that the RX is locked.

Not everyone has been able to remote start the 4RX with the key fob. I haven't tried it myself. It's on the list of things to do.
Old 05-18-16, 04:22 PM
gorcorps
Driver School Candidate

Gotcha, I'll have to try a few more things.

I wouldn't be surprised if the remote start is in the 4RX and some people are just having problems activating it. Even with instruction on how to do it, I had to try 4 or 5 times to get it right on my Highlander. Even though I've done it before it still doesn't work every time. The timing between the 3 lock button presses is pretty important (not too fast or too slow) and then you have to hold the lock button on the 3rd time much longer than you'd expect. Frankly it's a terrible design given how easy it was on the Jeep (two quick presses on a dedicated button), but I guess we can't have everything.

If the phone service works well enough I might end up paying for that. I just have a hard time swallowing paying yearly for a feature that's in my very expensive car already, and just needs to be activated. The excuse "if you can afford that car, then you ALSO can afford this" only goes so far.